Not sure if it's been mentioned, but there's an SR Cast "Beware of Trains" Sign alongside the foot crossing immediately East of Barnham station, and an LBSCR boundary marker at Worthing.

Between Ford Junction and Angmerimg lies the remains on the Lynminster Up Distant. Lynminster Box closed in 1980. It's a Concrete post, missing only its arm. At Littlehampton, I think the (colour light) advance starter dates back to at least the 1950s (There's a photo of a C2x passing an incredibly similar signal at exactly the same location), quite possibly to electrification in 1937. Lots of stations which have long since lost their signal boxes retain the pulleys for the wires, or at least the mounting brackets.

Lots of LBSCR Pattern buffer stops in Sussex too.

Under the footbridge at Clapham Junction, over on the Windsor side, there are lamp brackets that I can only assume were used when shunting or dividing trains to store tail lamps.

Also, lots of station booking offices seem to still have BR-Issue BARDIC hand lamps. Plenty of NSE fittings seem to be clinging on, particularly on the former western division.

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 2

A couple more subsequently came to mind - Until recently there was a blue CCT at Three Bridges, and I recall a rusty BG at Bletchley.

Also an SR Concrete yard lamp at Aldershot, and a few other relics around it.

The old station building at Yapton might also count - Still just about standing. The station closed in the 1860s when Barnham and Bognor opened.

Not sure if it counts, but there's still a few yards of the Basingstoke and Alton Light Railway (closed 1935) running off into the undergrowth and thence a roundabout at Basingstoke West Yard. And then the remains of Aldershot Government sidings near Aldershot.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The blue CCT at Three Bridges is still there, it is not grounded, it is still sitting on a now isolated bit of track.

Bardics were still issued to train crew until about six years ago when the LED torch replacement versions appeared.   I still have two but obtaining the stone age cardboard box type batteries has become an issue.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Bardics were still issued to train crew until about six years ago when the LED torch replacement versions appeared.   I still have two but obtaining the stone age cardboard box type batteries has become an issue.

You can get a conversion kit off ebay for about £7 that alllows them to take D cell batteries.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 25/12/2019 at 23:24, sem34090 said:

At Littlehampton, I think the (colour light) advance starter dates back to at least the 1950s (There's a photo of a C2x passing an incredibly similar signal at exactly the same location), quite possibly to electrification in 1937. 

Still there this morning:

20191228_102244.jpg.951960df6bea0fdd5e0f3fedba082320.jpg

Definitely the same one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

End of year bike ride today included part of the Micklehurst Loop and Hudderfield Narrow Canal. This is the old Millbrook Goods Shed near Stalybridge and the remains of the coal conveyor to Hatrshead Power Station at Heyrod.

20191231_Hartshead.jpg.0698a3d1eb896f38086a2109705cf70a.jpg

The picture was taken from the canal towpath. It's 40 years since the power station closed and 55 years since the goods shed was last in traffic.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
On ‎26‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 12:35, Boris said:

You can get a conversion kit off ebay for about £7 that alllows them to take D cell batteries.

And I'm actively in the process of converting all the signalbox bardics in West Anglia to d cells and led bulbs... I have now started to know the distinct differences in the construction of the ages of Bardics.....

They will be outliving the plastic torches out here, infact we are trying to find as many bardics as we can get our hands on to replace any plastic signalling lamp in the area....

Andy G

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

On 31/12/2019 at 23:53, uax6 said:

And I'm actively in the process of converting all the signalbox bardics in West Anglia to d cells and led bulbs... I have now started to know the distinct differences in the construction of the ages of Bardics.....

They will be outliving the plastic torches out here, infact we are trying to find as many bardics as we can get our hands on to replace any plastic signalling lamp in the area....

Andy G

Monitor some of the better army surplus sites, you can often get unused MOD ones by the crateload.  The only differences are that they are green not yellow or grey and have the crows foot on rather than  BR or NRS.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Boris said:

Monitor some of the better army surplus sites, you can often get unused MOD ones by the crateload.  The only differences are that they are green not yellow or grey and have the crows foot on rather than  BR or NRS.

Some of them had a different colour rather than a yellow aspect. For shunting providing they have red and green they are fine.

There were actually a big range or bardic handlamps all using that same body.  

When we used to go into Phillips oil terminal on seal sands you got an intrinsically safe, spark proof one and these were blue and had a steel band round the rubber 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Recently the plaster on the underpass at Carshalton station gave way and fell in, revealing rails used to hold up the underpass ceiling below the building.

As the station was built in 1901, and presuming the rails were scrap when used as supports, I guess that makes them very old.

I was walking in the hill above Carshalton beeches not too long ago and was astonished to find narrow gauge rails set in concrete.. three areas in quick succession obviously there was a line in that area running vertical to the direction of the LBSCR line.

Further down the line the concrete mountings for the platforms at Bandon halt (closed 1916) are clearly visible by the track, accessed by the footpath from the road built to the station (which today is part of a housing estate footpath).

There is still SR keep off the tracks cast iron signs at many points on this line.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, russ p said:

Some of them had a different colour rather than a yellow aspect. For shunting providing they have red and green they are fine.

There were actually a big range or bardic handlamps all using that same body.  

When we used to go into Phillips oil terminal on seal sands you got an intrinsically safe, spark proof one and these were blue and had a steel band round the rubber 

Actually most are convertible to the 4 aspect that signalmen need, and its really simple... I've yet to come across any with any other colour lenses than red, yellow green, and I've got a fairly complete range from BR, GPO (which have no lenses and a solid reflector), intrinsically safe, MOD, and emergency lighting ones....

Andy G

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The bardic I was originallly issued with was fixed to only display red, white and green, however the fourth quarter of the lens, the yellow one was still there and if I recall correctly the removal of a restraing screw enabled the yellow to be displayed.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Well its a washer on the ones I've converted*, and you may need a different knob too (stop it Boris before you start!)...

Andy G

* this may of course depend on the age of the bardic, I've not exhausted all the combinations yet I'm sure!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, uax6 said:

Well its a washer on the ones I've converted*, and you may need a different knob too (stop it Boris before you start!)...

You can't beat a bit of twiddling.

We always say you can tell when the shunter is about to signal you to stop because you see a red face before you see the red light!  The shunters bardics have a long tail on the handle to give "right for red" so you don't have to stare into the aspect to check it! 

I wonder if the blue aspect on the MoD bardics was designed for use with these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ex-Military-British-Army-British-Rail-Bardic-4-Colour-Torch-Lamp-Arrow-Filter/293016416497?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D2f1f09ce5d334727b82f4f76796121e4%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D293016416497%26itm%3D293016416497%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A6a2ba6a8-2f0c-11ea-858f-74dbd1801464|parentrq%3A7150739216f0ada61bbd52d6ff89df0c|iid%3A1

• Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just found this thread, it's fascinating!  Got a few of my own, which I'll post later...

Found this in the trees near Workington harbour last weekend. I assume it was something to do with the old steel works. The lights were red, amber and green. The track was long gone but the single track rails were still in situ where it crossed the adjacent road. 

I think I have a picture taken on that level crossing around 2006/07; it was about the time the Steelworks had been effectively abandoned prior to closure, my girlfriend and I (both photography students in Carlisle) were mooching around with our cameras.  We figured the line was disused, and were surprised on the crossing by one of the Port Authority shunters rumbling over the crossing with a train of bolster wagons.  From what I gather, it was all finally abandoned when the harbour bridge was damaged in the catastrophic flooding which also washed away the road bridge at the other end of town a few years back.  I think some of the railway infrastructure is still in use on the northern end of the harbour?

• Informative/Useful 1