'Roundhouse' USA HO steam twighlight in the 1950's

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

'Roundhouse' will be at the Alton show this coming weekend at Eggars School.

We will be using our wireless control system, comprising of Wi Throttle app on ipods connected through JMRI Decoder Pro software.

Mainly Union Pacific locos but there will be the usual mix of steam and diesel from various roads - our excuse is that there is a steam fair on the West Coast and the Eastern road locos are on their way to it!!

Just a few photos.

Ian

post-1557-0-33682200-1328013510_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-99235600-1328013584_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-85488300-1328013848_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Ha! I'm delighted to see a UK-based US layout that isn't an Epoche V Florida/California ISL! The more I look at late US steam, though, the more I'm convinced that it can be done without turntables, roundhouses, and huge coaling facilities. Why not a shelf-type small layout based on some of the 1960s logging shows, for instance, or some of the last steam shortlines? The Bachmann Russian or the new mogul would work very well there.

• Like 1

The more I look at late US steam, though, the more I'm convinced that it can be done without turntables, roundhouses, and huge coaling facilities.

You could do something like the bottom end of the PRR Elmira branch - 3 I1sa 2-10-0s (1 pulling, 2 pushing) on 70 coal hoppers on a single track branch through the Alleghenys - at Trout Run, PA you had a 2-lane highway (US-15), a river, and the single track of the branch running up a forested valley, Further up, the locos were turned on a wye. The big decapods lived on as branch motive power into the mid '50s

http://www.abandonedrails.com/Williamsport_to_Elmira

Adrian

• Like 1

Hi Ian,

I'll be at Alton with 'Kuppla Yard', the only other American layout at the show. Looking at your pictures I guess you are in a higher league than me!!

I'll pop over and say hello.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

I'll be at Alton with 'Kuppla Yard', the only other American layout at the show. Looking at your pictures I guess you are in a higher league than me!!

I'll pop over and say hello.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave I wouldn't say a higher league as we all have our own desires as What we want to do and all have different amounts of spare time for our hobby.

See you at Alton.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

D'oh! The penny drops now! I've seen your excellent layout at a few shows now, nice to 'see' you on here!

Didn't you used to have an 'Allegheny' that you sold to my mate, Colin?

Cheers,

John E.

Colin

I don't recall selling any locos but you might be thinking of a similar layout built by some one else who has since dismantled it and moved abroad.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Jsuts a couple more photos. . Will try to do a bit more video at thus weekends show in Alton.

We do get the occassional mishap - this happens when there is a short on the layout and upon clearing occassionally a loco that still has the CV value set to run on standard DC aswell as DCC will take off!!

post-1557-0-52415700-1328248161_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-85240700-1328248196_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday morning before the show at Alton opened for its second day, I managed to install the DCC Specialities PXS 4 circuit breakers into the layout to replace the Digitrax PM42.

The PSX breakers allow for the current draw when a short circuit clears and all the sound equiped locos try to draw power. The PM42 just didn't like a short and all sections would power off and not restart.

The PSX4 now means we only loose the section where the short is (mainly operators failing to throw a turnout, the turntable deck shorting as it turns over the polarity chang point or a loco being put on in he fiddleyard).

The PSX4 seems to work fine but occassionally the section that had the short wuould not come back on unitl the layouts section switches were switched off then back on. May just need to adjust the voltages for some of the sections where quite a few sound locos can be in the same section.

However, I am pleased with the PSX4 so far as it has now reduced the number of times the whole layout goes dead when we have a short.

Layout was down and packed into the car in the nomral 30 minutes and we had a good run back as traffic was very light Sunday evening due to the snow..

Next task is to wire up a TCS decoder to the Walthers control box for the turntable so we can wirelessly control the deck - should be done in time for the Risex show in a few weeks time.

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Next task is to wire up a TCS decoder to the Walthers control box for the turntable so we can wirelessly control the deck - should be done in time for the Risex show in a few weeks time.

Ah - so you're going to Risex? Excellent and provided the Oxfordshire byways are not in arctic state I look forward to seeing the layout (again). :D

• RMweb Gold

Nick

You are welcome. Glad you enjoyed it.

Ian

Thanks. I've now spent most of this evening looking at various pc - dcc interfaces, even though I haven't built the layout to go with it yet!

Did you get the new circuit breaker to fit in your control panel in the end? You were worried about the size when I spoke to you yesterday morning...

30 minute teardown sounds bliss, I was helping with the gauge three layout Blackgang, and that took nearly two hours before the last bits were in the trailers.

• RMweb Gold

Nick

Yes. last night I removed the Digitrax PM42 board from the panel. In order to get the PSX 4 to fit I glued in small 1" blocks of timber so the board clears somw of the switches and terminal strip but still fits within the frame depth of the panel. These glued in lbocks should no be set so van now screw the panel in place tonight.

We often set up on a Saturday morning at shows that can be up to 2 hours away so have designed this and other layouts to go up fairly quickly but to come down even quicker. We have had one of our alyouts that is 16 ft long, down iand away from the show in 20 minutes but its normally 25 - 30 minutes.

Ian