'Roundhouse' USA HO steam twighlight in the 1950's

roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

Jamie stop trying to pervert him into 7mm North American. He's got enough toys already. :locomotive:

When I mentioned my interest in US O Scale to a senior figure in the Railway Modelling movemnet he replied, "Don't even go there, down that road lies penury and divorce." I've managed the first thanks to my kids but have so far avoided the second.

Jamie

Oh well, I am going to contemplate how to make extra storage room over a few pints in Borough market with my other half :pleasantry: :pleasantry:

The 4L Really Useful Box holds 14 Kato loco boxes or 16 Atlas GP-sized ones. And they stack really nicely...

Adrian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Adrian

I use those Really useful boxes for other stock.

The USA N scale goes into metal cases (camera . / tool cases) with card trays and slots to suit each loco  / item of rolling stock.

I have had more communication with MTH over the 4-12-2. Looks like they are prepared to send me the replacement decoder in this instance so fingers crossed all works out. I have till November before the layout is out next, at Wakefield to sort it.

Ian

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Tonight the layout will bel oaded for the short trip tomorrow morning to the Wimbledon show. Still not had chance ot work on the 4-12-2 but hopefully will be bale to as we have a near full crew tomorrow.

After this weekend its next trip will be much further away - Wakefield in late November.

• Like 1

When I mentioned my interest in US O Scale to a senior figure in the Railway Modelling movemnet he replied, "Don't even go there, down that road lies penury and divorce." I've managed the first thanks to my kids but have so far avoided the second.

Jamie

That would be Father Christmas I presume .

• RMweb Gold

The layout generally ran well today. Even the turntable worked well all day.

We did have a BLi mountain loco play up though. Very ofdd behaviour as it would only move whilst it was receiving DCC commands then stop. So if you constantly changed speed it ran but not once you left it at a set speed. It still did this even after a factory reset.

A few more photos

post-1557-0-20257800-1414866421_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-64244300-1414866501_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-34465400-1414866526_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The layout performed well again today.

However the MYH 4-12-2 wasnt do that well.

I fitted the replacement decoders from MTH and after fixing a broken wire to the drawbar connections, all worked well on the test track, apart from a little hesitation when moving. Even the smoke unit and lights were working well although we didnt have the chuff working as there was still one wire which had broken, to connect up to the cam (it was insulated before puttting the body back on)

So it was time to give the loco a run on the layout. It was sitting at the coaling tower when smoke started coming from the loco and not just form the chimney. It wasnt a good smell so took the loco off and it  appears to have fried the new decoder. I cant find any shorts and the loco did work back in March with a standard decoder temporarily wired in.

I have now deided to cut my losses and strip the MTH decoders out to install a Tsunami decoder in the tender for the sound and a put the Digitrax decoder back into the loco body. It does mean that I will lose the good smoke effects but I would rather have the loco in a running condition. Hopefully this will be done in time for Wakefield.

Anyway a few more shots taken today including AndrewC's Rapido FP9's sitting next to the shed.

post-1557-0-76518100-1414958460_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-43875100-1414958476_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-99473700-1414958486_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-87671500-1414958512_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-68459000-1414958527_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

The UP Mountain which was playing up at the weekend has now had the QSI upgrade chip (very prompt dispatch from Digitrains as only ordered yesterday) fitted and now the loco is working fine again.

So now it's just the MTH 4-12-2 to sort out for Wakefield.

Ian

• Like 1

Meant to put these up earlier.

post-2818-0-60072500-1415350463_thumb.jpg

What happens when you have 2 locos with the same address. Oops.

post-2818-0-74055300-1415350464_thumb.jpg

Brief Canadian takeover of the turntable. CP RS18 and CP FP9s.

Thanks to Ian for letting me indulge my inner Canuck.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Not quite like this one I posted early this morning on another thread

http://locomotive.wi...CSX_SD80MAC.jpg

ISTR Trains Magazine, in the David P Morgan era, I think, having a photo feature entitled something like "The Irresistible Attraction of a turntable pit" with a number of pics comparable to that. When I "borrowed" a Crompton to pull a contractor's loco back on the track in Strood Yard in 1975, the driver told me he'd once done something similar for an LBSCR K class mogul in a turntable pit, probably at Brighton, I think. It happens!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Had friend who apparently was the gaurd on a breakdown crane that derailed some years ago!!

The other issue that causes run aways is having locos set to run on DC aswell as DCC. WHne a section of the layout has a short, upon regaining powere a loco programmed to also run on DC can soem times take off.

As Mike doesnt have a DCC system at home we have to leave his set to run on DC so he can service and test them.

This run away scenario doesn't happen anywhere near as much now that we have the layout divided into 4 sections each with a PSX circuit breaker.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Our last show of the year is this weekend coming at Wakefield.

Last night a few broken wires that power the coaling tower lights and chutes were resoldered so fingers crossed that solves the issue we had part way through the last show with this layout.

I have the MTH 4-12-2 to gut and install a normal decoder inthe loco - the MTH sound decoder in the tender will stay just for now till I can get hold of a suitable Soundtraxx Tsunami to replace it.

Next year we have just two shows booked with 'Roundhouse' with none confirmed for future years at present. Its been out and about now since 2007 so its had a good run but the invites have slowed down.

We are having to cut back on the number of shows that we do each year although there are still penty to do next year iwth the other layouts. However, there are no plans to retire the layout just yet, so if you would like to see the layout one more time in the North then Wakefield show might be it as things stand.

• Like 1

For all those visitors on a Saturday if,you see diesels being loaded under the coal bunkers,or steam engines fall into the turntable pit,please be patient as I will be a "guest" operator and don't know how to operate the layout,so there maybe a few strange moves,i'm usually good at the one where the " engine flies of the layout from the only track without bumpers"

See you there

Ray

P.s bring plenty of money Ian, i'm thirsty!!!!!!!!!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Your Locos are safe Ray as the layout has a timber lip all the way round so once you've demolished the numbers you will still have some protection.

Can't help you with the turntable pit though.

I might have spent my beer tokens the night before but we can always do a bit of buskering outside Westgate station Saturday night if you can sing or dance!!!