'Roundhouse' USA HO steam twighlight in the 1950's

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Layout all ready for opening this morning at Folkestone.

We had a few hiccups yesterday morning but everything settled down and went well in the afternoon.

A few photos of the layout including something that shouldn't be there!

Ian

post-1557-0-88590300-1349600552_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-67131400-1349600588_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-69189500-1349600615_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-37240900-1349600639_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-42455900-1349600660_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

The layout ran well on Sunday. We did have a slight glitch with two turnouts which if any give a problem then its these two depsite being attended to in the past. It got quite warm in the location we were in at Folkestone overlooking the Channel and eventaully the venue staff unlocked the doors onto the balcony. Once the area had cooled down these two turnouts didnt play up again, so must be the heat that gets to them.

We had a few locos fail but as there were only 4 of us on Sunday and the layout needs three operators at a time, these locos had to be put to one side.

The turntable also playred up for a while but some dirt had got into the mechanism so luckily thta was just a cleaning job. We vacuum the turntable well each morning to try and avoid this. The turntable is the Wlthers one (made for them by Heljan and now also sold by Heljan). It can be temperamental but once its working its normally fine for the rest of the day.

We had to carry the boards up from the bottom of the venue at Folkestone to street level which is quite a few flights as the venue staff had not unlocked the lift to street level. We were exhausted by the tiem we had the car loaded but itas a good job the boards have foam decks!!

The layout is now back in its storage location for a few weeks but some scenic work is to be carried out on it in time for Warley in late November.

Luckily, we have a full crew for Warley!!

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Under two weeks to go before the layout is at the NEC, so yesterday I managed to get a new coat of fire retardant sprayed onto the skirting as it was a dry sunny day. It was drip dry by the time the sun went down but still had to hang it up around the living room (its about 25 feet long as is used on other layouts) pinned to the curtain rail, shelves and round the third side of the room on the radiator. Good job it wasnt any longer or it would have been hanging on the TV and that would have caused a bit of upset from the other half!

Some modifications were made to the legs so that they pack together better. The stock tray support blocks were in the way of the electrical multi ways that are mounted on every other leg. So I decided to cut gaps in the tray support blocks - the legs now pack closer together.

A bit of maintenance on the lighting pelmet sections also completed. These will be in use this weekend on another layout.

Work on the stock continues and I hope to do a few bits to the scenic sections but it wont be as much as I had hoped.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

^^^ In your photos above, the item that should not be there - is it French? I can see that it has buffers, a red buffer beam and is painted green!

Those large UP steam locos do look rather good btw!

I havent had much time to work on the layout its self but some work is being carried out on the freight car fleet. There are some box cars that still have their steel axle wheelsets which cause the occassional problem over hte uncoupling magnets, so these are being replaced with Kadee plastic axle wheelsets. Unoftunately they arent a straight swap on the Trix cars, so the axleboxes are having to be drilled out to allow the Kadee axles to freely rotate.

I find this, too! I use a truck tuner (Micro Mark via MSE models) for this job but have to squeeze the axleboxes together in the modelling vice to ensure adequate clearance.

I'm not at Warley but have a great time.

John E.

• RMweb Gold

John

I wondered if anyone would comment on that loco.

Its Bullied rebuilt light pacific 'Crewkerne' which I had just purchased and was gviing it a bit of a test run with its factory fitted sound decoder!

Yes, I have seen the MIcromark truck tuner but as I don't have one I used normal drill bits going very carefully into the axle boxes at the same angle on each so as not to end up with a wobble on each truck.

Regards

Ian

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

^^^ In your photos above, the item that should not be there - is it French? I can see that it has buffers, a red buffer beam and is painted green!

Looks like something ex southern region in BR green to me...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mike's driving? :O

He might well have been but its definitely one of his locos!

As he doesnt have DCC all his locos are DC enabled, so we get the odd run away when the system comes back on after a short!!

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Only a few days to go before the layout is loaded ready for the journey to NEC.

I am hoping to fit a sound decoder into the Bachmann Spectrum HO 0-6-0 saddle tank. I have the N scale MRC decoder sitting in the roof of the cab so now its just finding space for the speaker.

The diesel stock box modifications are nearly complete. This will mean all my stock will be in stock boxes rather than some being in the manufacturers box - The Athearn Gas Turbine box is way bigger than the loco despite it being a really superb UP liveried box!

A few other mods to do as time permits.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Ian

Hope you enjoy the scrum!!!!!

Speaker in coal bunker pointing in to cab,or speaker in cab roof and decoder in bunker,thats what i'm thinking of doing.

Ray

Yes we are getting ourselves prepared for that!

The rear light gets in the way of using the coal bunker.

I have removed th boiler firebox section that extends into the cab and it ay not go back in or will be cut ack to allow the speaker to sit on the cab floor as the decoder is too big to do so unless I cut t crew ad seats out.

Will have another play with it tonight.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Finally reassembled my 0-6-0 saddle tank switcher this morning and added it to the JMRI software roster.

It now has an MRC 1637 sound decoder installed and it sounds pretty good.

The decoder sits diagonally under the cab roof with the speaker stuck face down onto a few layers of plastic card monuted on the cab floor but ot clear the rear light cable. The firebox moulding has been removed in order to get all this in but its not that noticeable as missing. I reckon I can cut it down and refit it at a later stage.

The one thing that does bug me is that the rear light works when the cab fgloor is removed but not when its in place. I have checked for any intermittent connection but havent found any.

I suspect that I will replace it with a new light in the near future, by passing the plastic light tube.

This little loco will be running tomorrow at Warley.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

A genersl shot of thr layout set up in NEC

The layout looks tiny amongst all the other superb layouts in this vast hall.

It's quality not quantity thta counts. It looks good. That's me and Supersonic with Green Ayre demo behind you.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Jamie

I must have a good look at your buildings tomorrow as I have been following your posts on the construction. We have been staying in Lancaster in the past few years on our way back from the Barrow show which adds to the interest.

Hope to post a few more photos of the layout tomorrow as its not a very good signal in the pub we are in at the moment.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

The layout ran very well throughout the Warley show over the weekend. Even the turntable deck performed without fault (we often have problems with the contacts to the deck at the start of a show till it settles down).

We had one or two locos give a problem otherwise it was just operator error including me throwing turnouts under a rake of freight cars and derailing them!

It was a superb weekend and a good end to our show schedule for 2012.

Now to do a few more modifications to the layout prior to attending the show in Weston Super Mare in January 2013.

post-1557-0-14401800-1353921600_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-64653300-1353921609_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-66775500-1353921620_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-56865500-1353921639_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-18895000-1353921658_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

It was good to see the layout again and have a play with the coal drops job, if I didn't have the smallest layout in the world I'd definitely consider using a smartphone as a wireless throttle, as this method has the easiest useability of any DCC handset I've encountered. Thanks for letting me have a go.

• RMweb Gold

It was good to see the layout again and have a play with the coal drops job, if I didn't have the smallest layout in the world I'd definitely consider using a smartphone as a wireless throttle, as this method has the easiest useability of any DCC handset I've encountered. Thanks for letting me have a go.

Glad you enjoyed having a go.

You are more than welcome to have another go at a future show.

We will be at the Leamington show in January 2013 if you are in the area.

Ian