'Roundhouse' USA HO steam twighlight in the 1950's

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

A Bachmann SP Daylight GS4 was obtained from the Bachmann stand at Warley last weekend. It has had a Tsunami sound decoder and a base reflex speaker fitted to the tender.

We had it running in pristine condition on the Sunday.

Since then the cab has been glazed and crew fitted.

Lastly it has had a light weathering all over.

Here is a shot taken tonight after reassembling it.

post-1557-0-69935200-1354306291_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Yes we have a few Penny locos though as one of our operators has quite a few including a T1.

Although the layout is based on UP we use the excuse that there is a big exposure on the West Coast so all these Eastern roads etc., are just passing through.

• RMweb Gold

I have been operating..had a long session today.

Ray...yes plenty of beer last night in some rsther good pubs along with a duke box playing some oldies in the last pub of the evening which amused the landlord.

Edited by roundhouse

It was good to see Roundhouse at the Leamington show yesterday, although like all good layout builders, I cant remember seeing Ian operating ....!

Apologies to Ian, we saw him operating today and making quite a good job of it too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday I did spend quite a bit of time trying to change Mike B unit E7 sound decoder so it had diesel sounds rather than steam souonds. The laptop connected to the free wifi in the hall and then did loads of updates which slowed it down to a crawl so a very quick change in CV value ended up taking over an hour. We also had to download the Digitrax Sound Bug manual to find out which CV value needed changing.

The B unit now sounds like a diesel!!

• Like 1

I enjoyed 'peering over the fence' at Roundhouse on Sunday in Leamington.  What make is the rather lovely ash hoist?

I recall spending time at the Changchun coal tower and roundhouse in the early 90s - scads of 2-8-2s and 2-10-2s everywhere and the noise was deafening.  You could add a bass bin under the layout and play a continual loop of steamy hissing, thumping air pumps, boiler blow downs, whistles and airhorns, the continual buzz of the old JF on stationary boiler duties.... it would capture the ambience, but probably frighten small children and old ladies! 

• RMweb Gold

I enjoyed 'peering over the fence' at Roundhouse on Sunday in Leamington.  What make is the rather lovely ash hoist? I recall spending time at the Changchun coal tower and roundhouse in the early 90s - scads of 2-8-2s and 2-10-2s everywhere and the noise was deafening.  You could add a bass bin under the layout and play a continual loop of steamy hissing, thumping air pumps, boiler blow downs, whistles and airhorns, the continual buzz of the old JF on stationary boiler duties.... it would capture the ambience, but probably frighten small children and old ladies! 

Cheers

The ash tower is a Walthers kit. One day it might even have the hoist working.

More sound in the background would be good but it would probably wind up other exhibitors. We do our best to not make too much use of the bells

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

'Roundhouse' will be out this Saturday at the Amersham show.

One new UP diesel now added to the fleet - a Bachamnn S2 factory fitted with sound (comes in the red boxes). It has a 'value Tsunami' fitted btu it sounds just as good as the better one albiet with far less functions. However, we only tend to use the horn and bell at shows so it will be fine - should be seen switching the frieght cars.

Anyway, here is a sepia toned photo of a cab forward outside the roundhouse.

post-1557-0-31573100-1365755522_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

We had a very pleasant day at Alton Ltd

It's a small show for a good cause and as usual we were looked after well by the GOFARS.

Despite the continuing hot weather the show had a reasonable attendance. A couple of traders had dropped out at fairly short notice but there was some god secondhand plus videos and books to be had.

A few photos taken today.

post-1557-0-01516700-1374351445_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-11059800-1374351483_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-94445300-1374351513_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-44600500-1374351543_thumb.jpg

• Like 4