'Roundhouse' USA HO steam twighlight in the 1950's

roundhouse

Ah yes I remember now!

Any time it needs a service or a turn at the depot just call!!!

Ian

It's not entirely unprototypical as the real loco sometimes visited Ogden for heavy maintenance (although black 298 would be more authentic for the steam era). There's something about Armour yellow and Black that really work well together, although I'm probably biased after reading about the large HO scale model of Cheyenne in my well thumbed copy Great Model Railroads.

Here it is again at the repair shop:

post-6819-0-01806400-1328647289_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Roundhouse will be at Risex in just over a week. A small show in Stow in the Wold in May and a few others I cant recall just now.

It is also going to Warley this year.

Quite a few other shows with other layouts both mine and friends - Banbury will be at Eurotrack, Wye Forest, Epsom and Ewell whilst Santa Barbara will be at Ally Pally.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

The PSX 4 circuit breaker has now been fitted into the main panel at the back of the layout - was a tight fit as this circuit breaker is much much bigger than the Digitrax PM42 it is replacing. So far the PSX 4 is oding what it was purchased for which means we do not go quiet (sorry for those non sound layout lovers) when we get a short as the PM42 just did not cope with all the sound equipped locos depsite trying numerous different settings.

The only issue we have now is that some times the section that had the short does not come back on if there are a lot of locos in that section, so the remaining panel section switches have to be switched off then back on. Probably a few tweeks in the set up will sort this in the near future.

The layout is now ready to go to Risex this Saturday, and if all goes well might get the decoder refitted back into the Walthers turntable control box so we can have full wireless control of the layout.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

'Roundhouse' is loaded into the car ready for the trip to Risex today. The new PSX 4 circuit breaker that was first tested a few weeks ago at the Alton show, is now fully fixed into place in the panel and hopefully all should go well but the Digitrax PM42 is in the bag just in case!

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Mike

Good to see you too.

There are layouts. With a lot more kit under them than us but yes I enjoy playing with the stuff under board as much as the stuff on the top. On our way home from the show now... No I am not driving and typing!

Ian

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

'Roundhouse' attendance is now confirmed for the Warley show 2012 so this Summer will see some extras added to it. Hopefully we will have moving water columns, a few track improvements and a lsightly better fiddleyard plus a fw other changes.

Ian

• 1 month later...

The layouts have been shuffled around ready to load 'Roundhouse' tonight for the Saturday only De Havilland show in Welwyn, Hertfordshire tomorrow.

Lets hope it doesnt rain tonight like it did last night!!

Ian

Looking forward to it. See you bright and early.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Roundhouse had its last show till this Autumn when hopefully there will be a few changes made in rediness for both the Folkestone and NEC Warley shows.

Here are a few photos taken at Stow Rail at the weekend.

A very nice venue for a small show

post-1557-0-53968600-1337588612_thumb.jpg

In side the repair shop

post-1557-0-93334800-1337588729_thumb.jpg

Next to the repair shop#

post-1557-0-88529500-1337588682_thumb.jpg

The sand supply

post-1557-0-25543400-1337588649_thumb.jpg

UP Mountain on the turntable

post-1557-0-66909500-1337588862_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 months later...

Hi Ian

I notice that you call in on our Horseley Fields thread occasionally and you even got to meet Mr Pike yesterday so I thought that I would

reciprocate. Saw the above picture of your Roundhouse layout and very nice it looks too,a working coal chute eh! that is really something

that appeals to me, One of the things that sets off your layout is the lighting pelmet. Although it means more clutter to cart around, lighting

can be invaluable if one gets put in a dark corner at an exhibition. Our group have been disusing the possibilities of adding a pelmet to our

layout and yours looks to be a neat and simple design. Perhaps you might be so kind as to answer a couple of questions, Can I take it that

the two uprights are made from steel tube ? and if so how are they fixed to the layout at the bottom and the pelmet at the top ? and if the

wind doesn't get up do you find these two supports adequate for the job?

Many Thanks

John

Horseley Fields - N Gauge layout (was Dibben Junction) - RMweb - Page 5

• RMweb Gold

John

The lighting pelmet is made out of thin ply front and back, spaced by square peiaces of MDF (next itme I would use ply or blockboard as its more rigid). These square blocks have a large hole cut in them to allow both the small flourescent strip lights and cables to pass through. The strip lights are ones obtained from Screwfix.

We can use a maximum of four sections (each 4 feet long) supported by just the end posts. On layouts over this length we use a center brace supported from the back of the layout to reduce the sag..

Roundhouse uses 3 sections so is pretty sturdy but Banbury and some others normally use four sections and these days there is a bit of droop but only noticeable if looking along the length.

The poles at each end are powder coated clothes rails you would put in cupboards.. They sit in a timber bracket made out of 2" x 1" softwood which in turn is bolted to the layouts legs with one bolt but two timber dowels to locate and stop the bracket turning.The pelmet has a slot about 6 inches long at the ends of the first and last section that is exaclty the width of the pole which goes into this at the top of the pole. The slot allows for layouts that may be slightly longer or shorter than that the pelmet was first designed to fit.

The only issue we get is that the poles could do with being 6 inches longer to raise the hieght of the pelmet as some people lean into the layout and dont see the pelmet so catch it with the top of their head.

As mentioned before, the system is used on various layouts including friends layouts until they built their own. They have done quite a few shows since being built in 2006 so have lasted fairly well with only minimal repairs.

As they are light weight they are quite small in cross section and sit across the tops of the basebaords in the car when loaded iwht the steel pole clipping into the pelmet sections.

I will take some photos of the various components and post them on here as that will make the above description clearer.

The pelmet will be in use on Banbury at TINGS in just over a week so if you are there you can have a close look.

Edited by roundhouse

Hello again Ian

Many Thanks for the very quick response and the above information. I would never have guessed that the poles slot in between two

sheets at the top,what a very simple and good idea ! Yes! I am sure that a few pics would be very helpful to other RM members and

yes! I will certainly call by to have a look at your marvelous Banbury layout and do a bit more brain picking regarding the pelmet and

I am sure that colleague Ben will be interested as well. We won't have time to get anything done before the show ,just hope the lighting

will be adequate.

All the best

John

• RMweb Gold

As promised here are some detail photos of the pelmet

A general shot of one of the end pelmet sections showing the pole clipped in place for transport

post-1557-0-92619100-1346273885_thumb.jpg

A close up of the timber bracket that bolts into the side of the legs

post-1557-0-02055600-1346273904_thumb.jpg

The timber bracket bolted to the legs

post-1557-0-85539800-1346273921_thumb.jpg

The slot in the pelmet for the top of the pole to sit in - the extra slot was added so that the pelmet would temporarily fit a friends layout which was a different length to my layouts. A similar slot was created in the other end pelmet section

post-1557-0-28818900-1346273942_thumb.jpg

One of the slim line light fittings.

post-1557-0-84620000-1346273965_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

Hi Ian

You certainly don't hang about ! I am very much obliged to you for the above pictures, I can see just what needs to

be done now. I might have to use a different fixing method at the bottom because we use trestles and they wont lend

themselves to anything being bolted too them. I might have to drill holes through the two end baseboards and put

blocks underneath and possibly more blocks on the top for support. The outer 2' of our layout is not scenic and we

have it screened off. I better start looking out for the necessary materials.

All the best

John

Self-styled Chief Engineer to Horsley Fields

Horseley Fields - N Gauge layout (was Dibben Junction) - Layout topics - RMweb - Page 7

• RMweb Gold

John

I was in the garage last night working on Banbury so I took the photos whilst in there.

You could bolt the fixings to the boards insted especially if they are deeper than mine whchc have a 2" x 1" frame.

Regards

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

After spending a number of weeks working on BANBURY my attention is now turning to this layout.

Mike, one of our operators who built the coaling stage and had fiutted working coal shutes has now added indicator LED's to the rear of the caoling tower. This is so operators at the rear of the layout now can see from the colour of the LED's if the shutes are down. We have had them break a few times upon moving a loco when the shutes are down. This will hopefully stop this from happening in future.

There are plenty of other modifications I am keen to do but we shall see what actually gets done in time for its next show at Folkestone and then for Warley show at NEC.

Edited by roundhouse

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

This weekend ROUNDHOUSE will be at the Folkestone show..

I havent had much time to work on the layout its self but some work is being carried out on the freight car fleet. There are some box cars that still have their steel axle wheelsets which cause the occassional problem over hte uncoupling magnets, so these are being replaced with Kadee plastic axle wheelsets. Unoftunately they arent a straight swap on the Trix cars, so the axleboxes are having to be drilled out to allow the Kadee axles to freely rotate.

Some work ahs been carried out on the stock boxes to reduce the breakages to the stock.

WIll be a nice early start on Saturday to get to Folkestone and set up.

Ian

• Like 1