'Roundhouse' USA HO steam twighlight in the 1950's

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

A few quick photos from today  from the last few minutes of the show when we had withdrawn steam hence an empty shed.

A lot of interest in the layout which is great considering the layout is twelve years old so looks like it will be kept for a few year's more if the shows do get confirmed.

Roundhouse2018 (5).jpg

Roundhouse2018 (9).jpg

Roundhouse2018 (7).jpg

Roundhouse2018 (10).jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I know where it can live when you're done with it  ;)

I’m surprised that you haven’t already ripped up everything to start a layout based on something similar... ;)

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Roundhouse is out this coming Saturday at the Epping show. The only show this year with this layout.

Currently working on various locos including this E6 diesel. It had had a speaker upgrade to an iPhone 4 one that has been cut down. Now sounds much better. New brass grab rails have been added and new eye bolts. It will get a weathering upgrade along with the B unit and the Alco PAs that are also being worked on.

20191104_121535.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's been over two years since the last post on here and the layouts last outing to a show. Since then it's been stored in the garage. A few weeks ago it got a bit wet when the roof leaked during a very heavy and prolonged downpour. Luckily there doesn't appear to be any damage but the layout will be set up in the near future to make all is OK. It does have a potential show next September if all goes to plan.

In the mean time I have started working my way through the locos to give them a service and improve the weathering in between weathering commissions for others ( just done my first O scale American weathering commissions).

A few photos of the first few locos to be dealt with. I have Been using photos where I can find colour  shots but as a lot of American steam went in the 1950's it's not so easy to find suitable photos. The Challengers maybe next.

20211116_154113.jpg

20211125_144854.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Glad the layout is OK. We had a burst pipe in a house I was renting when I was a young man (a fair while ago! :) ) and I well understand the damage that can be done. I'm still paranoid about secure roofs and domestic plumbing...

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

We have had quite a lot of rain since the leak and so far the roof hadn't leaked again so hopefully I have cured the problem.

The latest loco yo have a weathering upgrade is a Broadway Limited cab forward. It's shown on the program track after getting a wheel clean. It will get a run on the High Line test circuit.

A second Cab Forward is now in the spray booth.

20211207_140258.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

After our travels around the country over the Xmas period I am now back in the shed giving the Trix Big Boy a clean. This is the last of the steam locos to be so treated. It's also the loco that started the whole idea of the layout around 17 years ago. It's also the first time that it's had a full clean as it has run so well in the past with alm wheels picking up. Just a few pony wheels where dirty after all this time. It's also had a bit of lubrication to wheels and valve gear to keep it in tip top condition for more years to come.

It's had a run on the High Line and the only issue was a drooping Kadee that has now been dealt with by adding a small piece of microstrip shimming in the NEM box held in with a tiny bit of canopy glue. This has only been highlighted on the test circuit as on the layout it doesn't haul any freight cars.

The layout is hopefully going to a show in September. More on that nearer the time.

20220110_102701.jpg

20220110_103004.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 9

Hi Ian,

That’s a lovely model there, an acquaintance of mine picked one up cheap at a car boot sale once! Must have been hot!!

May I ask, how is it powered, please? I didn’t bother to check the one I saw and I used to have a Trix Bavarian Gt2x4/4 Mallet and I was slightly disappointed that it only had one engine powered and that by a round motor. It was still superior to a Lima or Hornby ringfield motor though.

Cheers,

John E.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Hi Ian,

That’s a lovely model there, an acquaintance of mine picked one up cheap at a car boot sale once! Must have been hot!!

May I ask, how is it powered, please? I didn’t bother to check the one I saw and I used to have a Trix Bavarian Gt2x4/4 Mallet and I was slightly disappointed that it only had one engine powered and that by a round motor. It was still superior to a Lima or Hornby ringfield motor though.

Cheers,

John E.

I am not really sure as its just about the only loco that I havent had apart as I do normally enjoy looking inside. It is factory fitted with a sound decoder. Both sets of driving wheels are powered though.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The layout will be at its first show in three years in just over a weeks time. The Seabord show in Crawley on Saturday 17th September.

So I have started servicing the freight cars.  Plenty of missing grab rails and steps so these are currently being replaced. All coupling heights checked and wheels cleaned.

One item in the stock box that required completing is this wrecking crane. I started the Tichy Trains kit 16 years ago but didn't get around to completing the rigging. This has just been tackled and the crane just requires decals and weathering.

So it will have its first proper run at the show.

20220907_151218.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I am now awaiting a reply from Tichy Trains re the decals for the crane as when you  place an International order you have to get a personal reply Re shipping etc. but they aren't quick at replying.

So I may have to improvise or wait till they respond / can ship them.

In the meantime I have Bern through all the freight cars checking couplers and other details such as missing steps. They tend to be delicate plastic moldings. Many have been previously replaced but still had four cars that required replacing since the last show in 2019.

Some I have been able to replace with brass steps but one box car I could only drill into the sides so brass wire has been used. They should be flat section but once painted that will hardly be noticeable.

Weathering upgrades will be next.

20220909_100112.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Today the layout was set up for the first time in three years. I was unable to do do till today due to renewing tge floor in the conservatory over the last few weeks hence items stored in the garage blocked access to the layout.

All is working fine apart from one broken wire to the coaling stage shutes but that's now fixed and the shutes working again.

Looking forward to taking tge layout to the Seabord show in Crawley this coming Saturday.

A couple of dark photographs taken under the sheet canopy by the shed. The lighting pelmet will be in place on Saturday.

20220912_171005.jpg

20220912_170953.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Today I have been running my UP 4-12-2 on the High Line test circuit.

This is an MTH model and whrn new was great with a good synchronised smoke unit. However just before the one year warranty was up it failed. Luckily it was repaired via the retailer Model Junction. A few months later it failed. MTH wanted me to send it back across the pond but the shipping costs both ways plus repair cost would have been a lot.

I eventually stripped out their decoder boards and installed a Digitrax decoder on the boiler and a Tsunami in the tender. It works well now but still requires a fee more LEDs to be connected up. MTH wire their board mounted LEDs differently so they can't be used.

Also the crane now has decals using some that I had in my stash. Tichy Trains haven't responded to my order request so no chance of getting thrm in time for the weekend. The crane just requires a matt coat.

20220913_141815.jpg

20220913_142051.jpg

20220913_142041.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Last Saturday we had a thoroughly enjoyable time and the layout performed extremely well at the Seaboard Southern show in Crawley.

The turntable gave a bit of grief before the show opened but once the contacts to the deck had been tweaked it did not fail once during the show. Plenty of interest in watching the layout aswell but no invites forthcoming so I will now decide what to do with the layout but for the time being it will go back in its usual spot in the garage.

A few photos from the show.

20220917_114705.jpg

20220917_114737.jpg

20220917_134614.jpg

20220917_122738.jpg

20220917_114744.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 12

6 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Last Saturday we had a thoroughly enjoyable time and the layout performed extremely well at the Seaboard Southern show in Crawley.

The turntable gave a bit of grief before the show opened but once the contacts to the deck had been tweaked it did not fail once during the show. Plenty of interest in watching the layout aswell but no invites forthcoming so I will now decide what to do with the layout but for the time being it will go back in its usual spot in the garage.

I don't think there were many exhibition managers in attendance anyway so I wouldn't take that as an indicator of popularity. I only had one enquiry and that show doesn't tend to repeat layouts so if you've been before I wouldn't expect a return visit.

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, 298 said:

I don't think there were many exhibition managers in attendance anyway so I wouldn't take that as an indicator of popularity. I only had one enquiry and that show doesn't tend to repeat layouts so if you've been before I wouldn't expect a return visit.

If its who I was talking to then we will be there this year with a different layout. This one hasn't been to that show.