Ellerby - 4mm/OO gauge - All photos working, hotlinked.

Jamiel

It would be amazing to see it back up again and I hope it all works out for you.

I remember when we were viewing properties, the estate agent was surprised at how keen I was to view the loft, but you have to get your priorities right!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Many thanks for the update Jamie, I have been checking for updates on Ellerby for these last 3 months to no avail but I now see you had a lot on your plate. So sorry to hear of sad news in your family but I wish you luck with the house move. I know the frustration only too well as we only moved from West London to Scarborough last year and my railway was dismantled and out of action for a year up to the move. Luckily we found a house with an extended garage which has just been insulated and plastered but the railway had to go into storage while the work was done. I just started erecting a couple of the baseboards when I got my appointment for a double hernia operation, all went well but now I am not allowed to lift anything for 3 months.

I have been using the time constructively sitting at the dining table repairing signalling damaged in the move and making new working BR platform lamps of the T variety of which I am very proud as these lamps were something of a Holy Grail for me as they are not available commercially.

Oh and Barclay I know what you mean as when we were viewing properties the estate agents were surprised when I walked in with an extending ladder and torch!

Regards,

Geoff

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Jamiel said:

So hopefully a big year for the layout ahead, but not much in terms of modelling but just getting it all back to where it was 3 years ago.

Yes, know where you are at. I'm in the process of rebuilding my layout. Last train ran in August 2020 at its previous location. I had hoped a long break over Christmas would see trains running again before I went back to work on 2nd Jan (2024). However the list of items to enable full reconstruction has taken longer than anticipated, as detailed in my topic link below..

So I don't over-run my self imposed deadline, it is still January 1st 2024 in the railway room.🤣

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Hi

Back to a bit of modelling. Really nice to just build a kit, rather than scratch building or partial scratch like the TransPennine, which although very rewarding takes a lot longer as you have to think (and by which, I mean procrastinate) about very little bit you do.

AT the York show a couple of weeks ago as well as seeing a lot of the people from LMRS, which was lovely, I also bought a London Road Models MR tank wagon kit.

I built it pretty much as described with a couple of mistakes and a couple of additions. I rolled the tank plates to see who they fit before soldering them, so the shape of the tank is not that of a perfect new wagon, but will fit the part of a 60 year old bashed about tank wagon for my layout.

I didn’t like how the waning handle on the filler was done, and tried my won version, which snapped off, and then looked at photos of the real thing (Paul Bartlett’s site) and made a better fitting out of a cut down grab handle fitting, with the wire through that, and soldered onto a shaped bit of brass offcut. I am pleased with the result.

I added brake hangers, although the very small ones at the centre of the brake gear I left off, and I added Smiths couplings. But made then solid instead of sprung as I doubt it will need that, hence the brass soldered to the inside of the frames.

I also didn't punch out the rivets on the top ot the tank braces, but used some rivet strip. It would have been better punched though.

A wagon with so many details is a challenge for my level of soldering, so lot of sanding, Wet & Dry and filing to finish things off. Compared with a coach, or even a loco there are a lot of small parts close together, and bit of solder ran or I was too heavy with it.

I am very pleased with the result, which may have to wait for some etching primer, which I will buy when  I am ready to do the next lot of painting on the TransPennine.

Lots of photos, in chronological order.

MR_Tank01.jpg

MR_Tank02.jpg

MR_Tank03.jpg

MR_Tank04.jpg

MR_Tank05.jpg

MR_Tank06.jpg

MR_Tank07.jpg

MR_Tank08.jpg

MR_Tank09.jpg

MR_Tank10.jpg

MR_Tank11.jpg