Bachmann retooled Modified Hall 2012 - What can we expect?

• RMweb Premium

I suspect the reason they are a sell out with Bachmann is that the retailers bought in quantity expecting a 'correct' model and so plenty of sales. When it arrived with its faults those sales evaporated, hence lots left on retailers' shelves.

Edited by brushman47544

Would a Modified Hall in a post war GW livery really not sold well enough to warrant a release?

There's no reason this wouldn't be a future release. The Modified Hall is a model that I would expect to be in the range for more than one year. Undoubtedly the BR liveries for this item would be the most popular choices.

The bigger question is whether Bachmann will take their time to decide whether (in their mind, given the business issues) retooling to address the front-end issue is necessary and/or cost effective before announcing any more Modified Halls.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Gold

There's no reason this wouldn't be a future release. The Modified Hall is a model that I would expect to be in the range for more than one year. Undoubtedly the BR liveries for this item would be the most popular choices.

The bigger question is whether Bachmann will take their time to decide whether (in their mind, given the business issues) retooling to address the front-end issue is necessary and/or cost effective before announcing any more Modified Halls.

I very much doubt that this will happen. I believe this is for an alternative manufacturer to take up the challenge.We currently have a number of "fledglings " in the field...as yet unproven I know...but surely time for a fresh approach for this prototype to appear in 4mm guise.

• RMweb Gold

I suspect the reason they are a sell out with Bachmann is that the retailers bought in quantity expecting a 'correct' model and so plenty of sales. When it arrived with its faults those sales evaporated, hence lots left on retailers' shelves.

Is there evidence for that, or is it anecdotal? Lots of otherwise good models "sell out" at the manufacturer, but are still easily obtainable on model shop shelves for months and months. I can't believe a lot of modellers are all that bothered about the faults of the Hall, after all the reviews haven't been all that damning, if they've mentioned it at all, and it still looks like a Hall from most angles.

Incidentally, when I spoke to the Bachmann guy at the stand fairly recently, he intimated that the other GWR models would be getting new chassis in due course, so we ought to get the Manors and Moguls eventually.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Is there evidence for that, or is it anecdotal? Lots of otherwise good models "sell out" at the manufacturer, but are still easily obtainable on model shop shelves for months and months. I can't believe a lot of modellers are all that bothered about the faults of the Hall, after all the reviews haven't been all that damning, if they've mentioned it at all, and it still looks like a Hall from most angles.

Incidentally, when I spoke to the Bachmann guy at the stand fairly recently, he intimated that the other GWR models would be getting new chassis in due course, so we ought to get the Manors and Moguls eventually.

That means I will be receiving one posthumously.Great and reassuring news.Incidentally,it's not a Hall.From my angle,it isn't a Modified Hall either and I am bothered but I leave damnation to posterity.Apart from Richard Foster of Model Rail....praise be.....reviews have not noticed the error.I did. But far too late.Mea Culpa.Most angles with this particular model does not include the business end and two fatal blunders evidenced every working day during the 1950's from the London end of Cardiiff General with a Tyseley working,7929 being a frequent performer..Cardiff to Birmingham via Gloucester .

• Like 1

Two Modified Halls are on a shelf by my PC. I look at them every day and I have to move them in order to see Bachmann's mistake. I have read on here that some folk have very strong views on this fault, so much so that they will not buy one. And why not... it's their choice.

I would just like to say that I have never come across a real locomotive with moulded handrails on cab and Tender or driving wheels with such large bosses that they resemble LNER wheels.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Notable that this doesn't feature in the 2017 range. Thumbing through the 192 page tome, you realise how much of a backlog Bachmann have. I had forgotten about the reengineered J39, and there is now no suggestion that the V2 will see a retooled body.

N

• RMweb Gold

Yes, there's a huge backlog of already announced models which haven't arrived yet. There's also a huge selection of tooling in Kader's storerooms which is brought out periodically to do re-runs, usually with different numbers and where applicable different liveries. But they don't offer every model they have tooling for every year, if they did there'd be no way the model trade could afford to stock it all, or have space to display it. So if by 2020 there's no sign of another run of Modified Halls we could consider the revamp a commercial failure. Until then it's just too soon to know, and after all we do want all those models from brand new tooling, don't we? There's only a fixed production capacity.

The V2s - I can't say what appears in the printed catalogue as I gave up bothering with them (for any manufacturer) years ago. But Bachmann's on-line catalogue lists items 31-566 (V2 3645 LNER Black) and 31-567 (V2 60881 BR Green Late Crest) as forthcoming models. Are these not the retooled body versions, then?

Notable that this doesn't feature in the 2017 range. Thumbing through the 192 page tome, you realise how much of a backlog Bachmann have. I had forgotten about the reengineered J39, and there is now no suggestion that the V2 will see a retooled body.

N

Bachmann have cleary stated the retooled V2 body is part of their current backlog.

STATUS UPDATE – BRANCHLINE (OO SCALE)

R & D (Barwell)

Class 414

Parallel Boiler Royal Scot (DCC Chassis Upgrade)

J39 0-6-0 (DCC Chassis Upgrade)

V2 Class 2-6-2 (new body moulding)

94xx Pannier Tank

taken from

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118606-Bachmann-announce-midland-1p-class-203-bep-buffet-car-vea-prestwin-and-carflat/

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 13/05/2021 at 15:09, B15nac said:

Has anyone received there new modified hall yet I believe 6990 is available.

Kind regards Neil

Yes, mine arrived today. The front end has been sorted out but I was surprised to see bright, shiny, silver coupling and connecting rods and slidebars.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

And a real one in everyday working back in 1963 (but not a Modified Hall, just the plain cooking variety).    Look at the connecting rod - nice and clean although the coupling rods aren't so clean.   and of course it's easy enough to 'dirty' nice clean rods on a model but not so easy to realistically go the other way.  And before you ask it looked just that clean from other angles as well.

1666852097_6924rd.jpg.d8e10f8f03178bf934ac0be9bcd4935d.jpg

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Top marks to Bachmann for sorting the front end underneath the smokebox. Definitely looked totally wrong before. 

Pity they left the DCC socket in the engine then - rather than cables and socket there to allow for better sound fitting. 

Sale lost. 

Edited by The Black Hat
correcting error. cheers for heads up Mike.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

Pity they left the DCC socket in the tender then - rather than cables and socket there to allow for better sound fitting. 

Sale lost. 

You mean 'left the DCC Socket in the loco' rather than the tender I think. Agree its a real pain for DCC

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Top marks to Bachmann for sorting the front end underneath the smokebox. Definitely looked totally wrong before. 

Well....nearly there anyway.Presumably in order to incorporate the front coupling socket,the signature front end of the 6959 class ....and by that I mean the front of the frame underneath the buffer beam.....isn’t included. Well,I notice it anyway.Maybe it’s absence doesn’t bother others.But sorry that spoils a good model for me.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Spelling
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1