Street Running in the USA or Canada

trisonic

Given that the train is blocking the cross roads, his wrong side of the street maneuver is understandable. The train position is also a bit risky, given the snow covered down hill on the right. Anyone know whether the strange 2 light signals are for the railroad instead of the cars? Or what else they might be? Andy

Andy possibly being on that side of the Pond you missed the sarcasm of my "BMW Stereotype" post ;)

Let's say that over here they have a certain "reputation" - such that if that train was at full speed on a normal grade crossing, with lights blazing & horns blasting, I'd still expect a BMW to be in that same position (but possibly going faster).... :O :nono:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all here`s one from last year in Utica NY. CSX 2782 a GP38-2 ex Conrail runs light with NYSW GP40 3042 back to the yard after delivering 2 hoppers of grain to the F.X.Matt/Saranac Brewery in Utica NY State.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/91839966@N07/14133757787/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/91839966@N07/14133682789/in/photostream/

The next photo in sequence looks a lot like the spur into the old Utica Brewery. But look at the apparent angle of what appears to be another loco behind.

• Like 2

Hi Andy it is the old Utica Brewery  the 2 locos disapeared right in side the brewery for about 10mins. Only found out about the trip to the brewery by the engineer on the local. He was photographing NYS&W 3636 and a couple of other units been switched into a siding to be scrapped.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would hate to think what would happen if a train derailed and wagons went snaking off in all directions down the street, smashing everything in their path. Obviously the brake would be destroyed with the breaking hoses, but momentum with steel wheels sliding on concrete still has scope for chaos.

Edited by Baby Deltic

I would hate to think what would happen if a train derailed and wagons went snaking off in all directions down the street, smashing everything in their path. Obviously the brake would be destroyed with the breaking hoses, but momentum with steel wheels sliding on concrete still has scope for chaos.

Good old English way of looking at it! I don’t recall any such accidents through the years at this location but I’ll bet someone will know for sure........

Have you used the Subway in Boston, MASS? Now I find some of the stations there really scary.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

Good old English way of looking at it! I don’t recall any such accidents through the years at this location but I’ll bet someone will know for sure........

Have you used the Subway in Boston, MASS? Now I find some of the stations there really scary.

Best, Pete.

I've only used the New York subway and that was in 2000. Loved the place.

• RMweb Premium

Great pics, the second one could have been taken at any time in the last 60-70 years.

... except for the engine's lack of nose door, new ditch lights, & modern electical sockets.... ;)

/pedant Mode <Off> sorry!! :blush:

Damn... they got the prototype wrong :sungum:

Nothing that a little photoshopping can't sort out. :jester:

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 1

I've only used the New York subway and that was in 2000. Loved the place.

At one connecting station in Boston one of the lines actually crosses the platform of another.......at platform height.

Unusual to say the least.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

At one connecting station in Boston one of the lines actually crosses the platform of another.......at platform height.

Unusual to say the least.

Best, Pete.

Is that Downtown Crossing station?

I do remember seeing that and the very convoluted connecting walkways

I kinda liked the stop on the green line which was effectively a triangular tram stop - underground...(Government Center?)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mytravelphotos/318773399/in/photostream/

Very OT - hadn't realised Amtrak had invested in these....   :jester: 

http://www.cummings.com/mbta_bus.htm

Is that Downtown Crossing station?

I do remember seeing that and the very convoluted connecting walkways

I can’t remember! I got lost on the system......D’oh. I was only going from Copley down to the Aquarium.......

I found Boston more confusing than the NY Subway.

I rather think that it is the one you mention as it is being rebuilt and even I thought it was dangerous - the line in question curved across an underground concourse....

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

Best, Pete.

Err yes but a very long time ago and I was wondering what is now scary about the MBTA.

I was staying in a fairly leafy part of Brookline for a couple of months and regularly used the Green Line to get to Downtown Boston from the last surface stop before it went into a tunnel as what I think is known as a "pre-metro" (trams/streetcars running underground to get them off the city centre streets - there's one in Brussels as well) I think they're still regarded as street vehicles so the rules about separating them from people are pretty much the same as when they're on the streets. I don't know if it's still running but there was one line in Boston that was closer to an interurban running on its own right of way at higher speeds. AFAIR the Green line where I was staying ran down the centre strip of an avenue so wasn't really mixing it with other traffic but other parts of the Green network were full-on street tramways.

I explored Boston and particularly the T fairly extensively while I was there as it was almost a living museum/showcase of urban railways and trams. This was at a time in the 1970s when large parts of many US cities were not safe to walk about in but the only bad thing I remember about the MBTA was staying for my first week in Boston in someone's apartment. This was on an upstairs floor, first or possibly second and faced directly onto an elevated section  of the Orange Line running on an ancient steel structure. If you know the section of the Paris Metro that are an El this was two or three times noisier on a fairly narrow street so sleep was impossible after about 6 AM each morning. 

I do remember a  few on topic things from that summmer. The first was that there was quite a lot of RR (rather than streetcar) track running along the streets around Back Bend station in Boston though it did appear disused. The other was finding a very disused looking track running for maybe a mile or so down the centre of a long street, I think towards one of the docks, in Savannah Beach, Georgia. I was wondering how many years it had been closed for when the sound of an air horn revealed that it wasn't. A short line of wagons hauled by a small switch engine, was coming slowly down the street with its flanges throwing out solid muck that had completely filled the groove inside each rail. 

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1