Weston Clevedon & Portishead Railway

cpman46

I hope this is the right place to introduce this. The Weston Clevedon & Portishead Railway (closed 1940) ran from Weston Super Mare to Clevedon and on to Portishead. Several years ago a number of people decided to form a group to promote and preserve what is left of the line before it disappeared for ever. There is a very good website at http://www.wcpr.org.uk/ with lots of information, maps and photos and a link to the WC&PR Group website. To date the group has now over 100 members.

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

Bartb

Many thanks for the pictures. Unfortunately these are the remnants of the GWR Portishead branch, long since disappeared under modern development of the docks and former power station sites. The current branch  serves Portbury docks with a 3 mile currently disused but extant portion of track reaching as far as Quays Avenue on the new Marina development (hopefully to be reinstated as a passenger service in the near future). The WC & PR trackwork was all removed by the end of 1943. The scrap recovered amounted to some 16,000 tons, the rails helping the War effort.

• Like 2

Guest 838rapid

There are lots of books to read up about the WC and P.

My great uncle was killed on on there whilst riding Pillion on a motorbike.

My Mum has the local newspapers from the time incl the report of the accident and the funeral.

One of the first people on the scene at the accident was a bus driver,who didnt realise the rider of the bike was his son..

http://www.portisheadweb.org.uk/wcpr/Accidents.html

Edited by 838rapid

Just been going through some of my photos taken at the unveiling of the information board at the Ashcome Road site of the Weston-super-Mare terminus of the WC&P, the route here being named 'Colonel Stephen's Way'.

Local MP John Penrose unveiling the board with 'Colonel Stephens' looking on.

post-13054-0-25757300-1361467439_thumb.jpg

The Information Board

post-13054-0-15964600-1361467422_thumb.jpg

The WC&P Railway Group hope to have an information board installed at Portishead in the near future and also at CClevedon at a later date.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Just been going through some of my photos taken at the unveiling of the information board at the Ashcome Road site of the Weston-super-Mare terminus of the WC&P, the route here being named 'Colonel Stephen's Way'.

Local MP John Penrose unveiling the board with 'Colonel Stephens' looking on.

attachicon.gifIMG_0009.JPG

The Information Board

attachicon.gifIMG_0002.JPG

The WC&P Railway Group hope to have an information board installed at Portishead in the near future and also at CClevedon at a later date.

That's a very dirty and scruffy Sam-Browne belt and cross-strap. As subaltern officer in the Staffordshire Regiment, I would have landed several "Extras" as Orderly Officer if I had paraded in front of the adjutant looking like that. 

• RMweb Premium

Something about the WC&P has always captured my imagination

Thanks for starting the thread :)

I'm sure I've seen at least 1 layout based on the railway?

Cheers

Marc

I've got two; Weston and Clevedon both in EM. Both on here if you follow the links to my blogs in my signaure. Weston kind of retired and Clevedon debuts next year.

The Nailsea club did Weston, Clevedon and Portishead in 7mm about 20 years ago. Then there's Bleadon also in 7mm and a freelance layout based on a rumoured extension to the south of Weston. I'm aware of a couple of private layouts that folks at exhibitions have said they're building. I'm sure there are others.

That's a very dirty and scruffy Sam-Browne belt and cross-strap. As subaltern officer in the Staffordshire Regiment, I would have landed several "Extras" as Orderly Officer if I had paraded in front of the adjutant looking like that. 

If we're counting rivets the real Colonel Stephens didn't stretch his buttons quite so much ... and being of WW1 vintage would have had his rank on his cuffs, not his shoulders ;) 

• 4 weeks later...

Update to the progress of the WC&P Railway Group: Last Tuesday 29th October the Portishead Interpretation Display was officially unveiled by our local BBC West weather girl Jemma Cooper who managed to conjure up some sunshine instead of pouring rain! The board is opposite the White Lion on the grass verge close to the Waitrose petrol station.

post-13054-0-66186600-1383427741_thumb.jpg

Plans are well under way to install  an Interpretation board in Clevedon, probably on the side of the Conservative Club where the railway crossed Kenn Road.

I read an article a while ago (May 2013) in the Weston Mercury about plans to create a footpath/cyclepath(?)

along part of the route of the line between Weston and Clevedon, is this likely to happen anytime soon?

cheers

As one of those who was involved with the Naisea Clubs  0 scale layout,  I've dug a few photos (the only digital ones I've got)  of two Locos ( "Clevedon" [Ex General Don, Jersey Rly?]  and Hesperus [ex  GWR] ) and the small Wickam(?) Railcar.  

The BBC programe Sea Side Trains (The Pretty Route to Weston??)  featured a lot of the Nailsea Clubs model. 

Not very good quality pictures  I'm afraid, but better than nothing?   

post-4282-0-95481200-1383498522.jpg

post-4282-0-72634200-1383498548.jpg

post-4282-0-27108400-1383498572.jpg

• Like 4

• 7 years later...