Mayshill - GWR

Jules

Thanks chaps :blush:

Jon,

The grass is one of the Gaugemaster range, I think it is actually static grass, but I just covered the ground in pva and put it on by hand. I have subsequently realised that putting a base layer on gives far better results. For the base layer, I used another pack of gaugemaster stuff - I think this was more sawdust based and multi-colour. Both packs came in a scenic starter pack that was free with a Model Rail subscription a year or so back. Unfortunately, I do not have the exact details of the grass (shade or part number) as I binned the packaging ages ago.

Mikkel,

Glad you like the pic - it is just a point and shoot camera so it came out quite well.

• 2 weeks later...

This post is just to add some gratuitous shots of a 14xx and autocoach - another tick in the box for clichéd GW BLTs!!!

The loco has been detailed with the Mainly Trains kit, and all molded handrails replaced with wire. Just needs a new drive wheel set as the traction tyres have disintegrated so the running is a bit bouncy!

Anyway, enjoy the pics....

P1010983.JPG.39265a2ea3730d41dcdd869a30f5145d.JPGP1010984.JPG.f43fcfaa0f5a373c0a3183ea9ec476ff.JPGP1010985.JPG.996d88ad9a00371131f1c3b9f731c6b5.JPGP1010986.JPG.f786dc0f02d97e8f565d84058f09fa5d.JPGP1010987.JPG.ec89fbb6e8a9519c72a5a6dde208ac2e.JPG

Edited by Jules
  • Like 16

Jules

Ah sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

That looks good, I've got that kit haven't got around to doing it yet. And like you am thinking of getting new set of wheels, for me hopefully that might help its poor pickup when running in reverse.I think some folks have hacked off the top-feed lump to get the authentic look for the locos early in their life. I haven't got heart to do that nor the skill. How could you chop up something that looked so cute? Plus as mine is in post war GWR livery I think can just about get away with that and also the 14xx not 48xx number. (Sorry, I've been reading too many books/articles!)

Having done the 14xx, if you haven't already seen it, Dart Casting do a detailing kit for the autocoach something I'm considering adding to my list of projects.

Good stuff, await more with interest.

Jon

• RMweb Gold
Having done the 14xx, if you haven't already seen it, Dart Casting do a detailing kit for the autocoach something I'm considering adding to my list of projects.

And South Eastern Finecast do a flush glazing pack for the autocoach. :) I got mine off some place on eBay (Peter's Spares IIRC). I've also got the Dart Casting's detailing kit on order and the Mainly trains kit is upstairs with the hacked about 1466 body. The top feed isn't that tricky to remove as the boiler detaches from the rest of the body and there is no hole to fill in after the top feed is gone. I used a Dremel to remove the bulk of it, then a scalpel for the pipework and file to finish it all off.

Thanks chaps smile.gif

Number 1420 should have GWR on the tanks to match the rest of my stock - another task to do! I don't appear to have any problems with the pickups on mine, as it only runs out and back it is all over electrofrog points so that reduces the likelihood of stalling.

I was/am aware of the detailing kit for the autocoach, although last time I looked (a while ago )it was out of stock, although it is now back in stock.

The coach is half way through a ten year repaint! It started as BR maroon as part of an Airfix closing down clearance set (which shows its age!), and as can be seen it has had a splash of choc+cream but is lacking lining, numbers etc. I think I will probably obtain a detailing kit (plus the flush glaze) and attempt a proper job on it. There's a first time for everything!!

The coach is half way through a ten year repaint! It started as BR maroon as part of an Airfix closing down clearance set (which shows its age!), and as can be seen it has had a splash of choc+cream but is lacking lining, numbers etc. I think I will probably obtain a detailing kit (plus the flush glaze) and attempt a proper job on it. There's a first time for everything!!

In MRJ no. 9 Mike Jolly and Mike Clarke carried out modifications to the Airfix model using a previous incarnation of the Dart Castings kit. (It's improved now). Article comes with complete drawings for both Diags A28 and A30.

Thanks for that - I shall keep a lookout to try and obtain it.

If anyone has followed the link in my signature to my old layout, you would have seen that it was an Eastern region layout set in the 50s. A reasonable number of the wagons were kit built (all Parkside if I remember correctly) so I thought I would see which ones could be backdated and reused to add a bit of variety to my new layout.

By a stroke of luck, I had previously mis-ordered some LNER transfers for two of the wagons so could use those. I scrapped off the previous decals, did a bit of a touch up on the paint and added the new decals to the lowfit and van. I cheated on the steel open by being lazy and covering it with a tarpaulin.

I have also been rather lazy in leaving them in BR bauxite rather than repainting then into NE brown, but they will do for now.

The tractor perched on the lowfit is also a reuse from the old layout, and as such is a bit too recent (1952 a think) so will need to be replaced with something more suitable. But for the time being, it adds a bit of weight.

EasternInterloper1.JPG.539556a859bffb6c2a79d235f10ffaf1.JPG

EasternInterloper2.JPG.ff2faff3cd67ea3149062345cae3d9a1.JPG

The two re-lettered wagons need a coat of mat varnish to seal the transfers and to cover the gloss patches under the transfers.

Edited by Jules
  • Like 9

Thanks for the info - I'm guessing MRJ issue 9 is quite old?!

Jules

Let me know if you have any probs. I've got all the MRJ's so doubtless I can let you have a copy of the relevant article!

Regs

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Another bit of minor progress....

The weighbridge is now in position and glued in place, with a chair, broom and barrel added for a bit of clutter. Obviously there is still work to be done in the surrounding area, but it's a start!

Also in picture (but out of focus) is the completion of the goods yard fencing.

It is the Ratio GW fencing, but rather than attach the wire to the outside as it is designed for (and how I have done it previously) I drilled small holes in the posts and fed the wire through. Fiddly to drill, but a lot easier to fix the wire in place!

P1010999.JPG.39c43e5866ce1b6464b9cd25d186449b.JPG

P1010996.JPG.e14cc7336088a170b92c814d149fd424.JPG

P1010998.JPG.16a162ffafe752ddba50e9f7ecedb4a2.JPG

Edited by Jules
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Very nice Jules.A tip for doing the GW lineside fencing from Ratio is to use EZ wire.This is an elasticated item which easily wraps round the posts with minimal glue in places.It looks effective.Your weighbridge looks cute.

• RMweb Premium

With every little detail you add it gets better Jules. Are you going to put a fence next to the weigh bridge to stop vehicles from going on from the side and knocking it off the knife edges?

Afternoon Gents

Robin, thanks for the tip about EZ wire. I will admit that I haven't heard of it previously. It certainly sounds easier than Ratios method or mine!

Kris, when I can locate a spare bit of rail (the previous bit I had has disappeared!) I intend to fix it parallel to the table to top vehicles accessing from the side, or driving off at an angle. I will insert two bits of rail vertically, and then attach a long bit on top with the ends bent down. I'm sure I've seen a prototype for this somewhere!

As always, thanks for the kind words and encouragement smile.gif

Jules

Some very minor progress.....

Previously in this thread I muttered something about the station still needing signs and other bits and bobs to complete.

I obtained some signs, and as can be seen from the attached snaps have attached them to the building. Unfortunately, it is still not complete! The pack of signs I purchased does not have suitable signs for 'Booking Office' and 'Ladies Waiting Room'.

Strangely enough, there was a sign for 'Gentlemens Waiting Room', which I thought was a bit strange as I thought that (generally and particularly at small termini) you would only have separate Ladies room.

I have attached signs to the doors, so at least intending passengers know which door to use!

The pics give a flavour of how it will look when I get the correct signs.

Cheers

J

Compare with the pics in post #80 above to see the vast change!!

P1020002.JPG.d968d0c00e9e6f33b760c36021a1cef7.JPG

P1020003.JPG.7a604f70d8e8953c72c49d76b406e980.JPG

Edited by Jules
  • Like 10

Keeping the theme of minor progress...

I have added point levers to the points I think would be manually controlled. The levers are from Dart Castings. I think I have made a bit of a mistake in that the main lever should be white, not just the hand piece as I have done.

The other addition is some fire buckets to the lamp hut. Again these are from Dart Castings.

As usual, some rather indifferent snaps to illustrate!

PL1.JPG.03c4af48f0f22155681988b9bb3608c4.JPG

PL2.JPG.4f751425ecef60b3b4cbf1e7eaeb6913.JPG

PL3.JPG.f0b8b41e2f298af2d5ddf871829ce149.JPG

LH1.JPG.831e045c11bff0a6d763d6a4e463595b.JPG

LH2.JPG.becabeb5d37719c35b25dcdb3fbef066.JPG

Edited by Jules
  • Like 7

A little bit of progress, but not much!

I have been playing trains a bit before continuing too much just to make sure it mainly works. Haven't built the control panel yet as I am still trying to find the right power socket for the plug of my transformer, so in the meantime I am using my trusty old H&M Duette. It still gives surprisingly good control.

Also I have been testing out my fiddle yard cassettes. I think I might have made them a bit narrow! I think any more I make will be a bit wider to help with putting rolling stock in position. I am currently applying power using croc clips which appears to work pretty well so I will probably stick with this method for now.

Any building shown are purely temporary just to break up the bareness!

Loving the Duette we have two which are over 30 years old and run perfectly! Use it for the old 12v Dremel too, I'm liking this thread so far keep up the good work.smile.gif

Keeping the theme of minor progress...

I have added point levers to the points I think would be manually controlled. The levers are from Dart Castings. I think I have made a bit of a mistake in that the main lever should be white, not just the hand piece as I have done.

The other addition is some fire buckets to the lamp hut. Again these are from Dart Castings.

As usual, some rather indifferent snaps to illustrate!

post-148-0-68752700-1298715742_thumb.jpg

post-148-0-36030400-1298715746_thumb.jpg

post-148-0-52263600-1298715728_thumb.jpg

post-148-0-98671100-1298715733_thumb.jpg

post-148-0-76780000-1298715738_thumb.jpg

Jules I noticed the point levers are mounted on blocks of wood ,is this how they come or have you added them .I have got the same levers in n gauge but they have no blocks can you let me know cheers Bassett

Morning..thanks for the comments and questions :

Dom - the Duette is not in regular use now, I used it initially before the control panel was complete. I now use a KPC controller for operating the layout The Duette still does get used though for when I lay a circle of track on the dinning room table for running in a loco!

Jon - agreed, a dab of white paint will be easy to apply to the levers. I will just have to remember next time I have the white paint open!

Basset - I added the blocks of wood, from a strip I had lying in odds and ends box (how I hate that when I see it in a magazine!!). I made them the same width and height as the pair of thick sleepers on the Peco points, scored the top to give the effect of planks and painted them with sleeper grime. They were a bit fiddly to sand to the right depth, and they are pure fiction with regard to size and appearance, but I think they look a bit better than just plonking them directly to the baseboard.

The levers are prone to damage...I have alrady had to repair one and its only been in place 48 hours!!

• Like 1

Morning..thanks for the comments and questions :

Dom - the Duette is not in regular use now, I used it initially before the control panel was complete. I now use a KPC controller for operating the layout The Duette still does get used though for when I lay a circle of track on the dinning room table for running in a loco!

Jon - agreed, a dab of white paint will be easy to apply to the levers. I will just have to remember next time I have the white paint open!

Basset - I added the blocks of wood, from a strip I had lying in odds and ends box (how I hate that when I see it in a magazine!!). I made them the same width and height as the pair of thick sleepers on the Peco points, scored the top to give the effect of planks and painted them with sleeper grime. They were a bit fiddly to sand to the right depth, and they are pure fiction with regard to size and appearance, but I think they look a bit better than just plonking them directly to the baseboard.

The levers are prone to damage...I have alrady had to repair one and its only been in place 48 hours!!

Thanks for the info mine are only painted on the ends also does it matter what side of the points they go on cheers Bassett

post-10863-0-42297000-1298838250_thumb.jpg

• Like 1