Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

Well, it's nearly show time again (CMRX at St Evenage) and, as always, the last minute feverish(-ish) preparations.

Foremost amongst this has been the last main aspect signal for the layout (did he actually say 'last'?)

post-16151-0-14293500-1547130981_thumb.jpg

This is at the south end, for the 'Up' trains (ie heading towards London). As I have designed it, one post has the arms for the two running lines (main and goods) which is something of a contortion of history as there were separate posts in practice as there was a scissors arrangement for trains to swap between the running lines - not replicated on the model.

post-16151-0-14649500-1547131012_thumb.jpg

post-16151-0-93728900-1547131027_thumb.jpg

post-16151-0-00580200-1547131044_thumb.jpg

post-16151-0-01108600-1547131057_thumb.jpg

One of the posts is however shown in the pictures as a concrete post junction signal (nice!) so I chose to use this as the basis. It's probably pure fantasy as I'm not sure that concrete components were ever used quite like this. But hey - rule 1 and all that

post-16151-0-59071500-1547131079_thumb.jpg

What I do know is that the arms shown correspond to the signalled moves that are required to take place at the south end so that's good enough for me.

post-16151-0-45723900-1547131113_thumb.jpg

Bit of a crummy picture of it in position. But it should give some idea. (who left that screwdriver lying around like that?)

post-16151-0-55376500-1547131688_thumb.jpg

Of course, a new signal in position requires copious amounts of wiring to get it interfaced with the control system so here is Andrew on a typical whirlwind trip to the north east doing the honours. One or two other electrical improvements as well, including some additional electrickery to the road system at the south end.

Look out for that if you're coming to the show; otherwise, a full report afterwards.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 14

attachicon.gifDSC05042.JPG

Bit of a crummy picture of it in position. But it should give some idea. (who left that screwdriver lying around like that?)

I'm surprised at a proper railway person such as yourself !  I hope at least there were proper arrangements for an Engineering Possession.

I left a cardboard template for a bridge abutment obstructing the line a few weeks ago. It would have to have been in the only place on the railway where a derailment could have lead to a locomotive falling all the way to the floor. Not too much damage fortunately, but it will need a proper shopping.

I'm going to write myself some procedural notices !

• RMweb Premium

Well, it's nearly show time again (CMRX at St Evenage) and, as always, the last minute feverish(-ish) preparations.

Foremost amongst this has been the last main aspect signal for the layout (did he actually say 'last'?)

attachicon.gifDSC04801.JPG

This is at the south end, for the 'Up' trains (ie heading towards London). As I have designed it, one post has the arms for the two running lines (main and goods) which is something of a contortion of history as there were separate posts in practice as there was a scissors arrangement for trains to swap between the running lines - not replicated on the model.

attachicon.gifDSC04803.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC04804.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC04805.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC05024.JPG

One of the posts is however shown in the pictures as a concrete post junction signal (nice!) so I chose to use this as the basis. It's probably pure fantasy as I'm not sure that concrete components were ever used quite like this. But hey - rule 1 and all that

attachicon.gifDSC05032.JPG

What I do know is that the arms shown correspond to the signalled moves that are required to take place at the south end so that's good enough for me.

attachicon.gifDSC05042.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC05044.jpg

Of course, a new signal in position requires copious amounts of wiring to get it interfaced with the control system so here is Andrew on a typical whirlwind trip to the north east doing the honours. One or two other electrical improvements as well, including some additional electrickery to the road system at the south end.

Look out for that if you're coming to the show; otherwise, a full report afterwards.

Very nice Graham. A bit late now, but would it have been more likely that the dolls were lattice posts to save weight? Rather as the Southern generally used lattice dolls on rail-built bracket/junction signals.

Very nice Graham. A bit late now, but would it have been more likely that the dolls were lattice posts to save weight? Rather as the Southern generally used lattice dolls on rail-built bracket/junction signals.

Fair point - but the prototype picture for the Up Main signal is indeed a concrete main post with two concrete dolls.

The 'fantasy' bit I suspect is the length of the bracket over to the left. Not sure that would support it's own weight, let alone the doll, without some serious bracing.

• RMweb Premium

Fair point - but the prototype picture for the Up Main signal is indeed a concrete main post with two concrete dolls.

The 'fantasy' bit I suspect is the length of the bracket over to the left. Not sure that would support it's own weight, let alone the doll, without some serious bracing.

Fair enough - I'm sure the model will stay up!

• RMweb Premium

It looks good. Will be seeing it in the painted metal later today once the layout is erected at St Even Age.

Wonder if the place has changed much since I was last there? Suppose so..its about 37 years since I left my rocket scientist job there.

Baz

• RMweb Premium

It looks good. Will be seeing it in the painted metal later today once the layout is erected at St Even Age.

Wonder if the place has changed much since I was last there? Suppose so..its about 37 years since I left my rocket scientist job there.

Baz

That must have given you a big boost Barry? :boast:

Baz

Not much according to a Driver I know OF .  It is still a S*** H*** !!!     :onthequiet: 

• RMweb Gold

Baz

Think Chernobyl but with less money and care spent on it.

• Like 2

Set up day off to a good start for those coming from the North. A1 currently stated closed, both ways, for several hours, between Peterborough and Colsterworth (South of Grantham)......

Indeed.  Trip to Dentist this morning 2 miles. Journey time  --------- He who knows won't tell me.   :senile:  :senile:  :senile:

• RMweb Premium

Set up day off to a good start for those coming from the North. A1 currently stated closed, both ways, for several hours, between Peterborough and Colsterworth (South of Grantham)......

Don't try and walk through the mess to get past Graham. It was Sulphuric acid according to Look North.

Little Willie is no more

What he thought was H20

Was H2SO4

Jamie

• Like 3

Don't try and walk through the mess to get past Graham. It was Sulphuric acid according to Look North.

Little Willie is no more

What he thought was H20

Was H2SO4

Jamie

Lorry not leaking according to Police 

Regards,Derek. (Still with Toothache)

Baz

So you are about to make your re-entry?

• Like 1

Thank you very much Graham and the other operators who were on Grantham today for running my K2 and letting me have a go at operating. It's been very inspirational seeing how the layout works!

I managed to get a quick (and dodgy) snap of my K2 on a southbound fish train

post-34820-0-64733400-1547325184_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Jamie

• Like 15