Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium

And a little bit of repaired track was reballasted at the end of the running session today..woooopidooo!

The single plus coaches are a work of art. They also ran very well.

Baz

• Like 3

In stark contrast against typical, minimal clothing requirements in most of England during the latter part of July and in early August, observers will note that we all had to be "adequately" clad for unheated summer railway room conditions in the Land of the Prince Bishops.

Edited by gr.king

• RMweb Premium

Pah. Some people will never appreciate the sacrifices we make for them...

Anyway, here's my take on the above events...

4491 was about the closest we had numerically to 4498. As per the background instructions, the J54 is poised with a van which has been detached and is ready to be sent on down to London.

View from nearer the underpass. I'm speculating that the saggy carriage between No. 1 and the van is where they put the beer for the journalists.

No. 1. It really is a fine thing, they've done an excellent job.

Grantham_1938_trains_4.jpg

I think we may have to ask the Official photographer to recreate this one, but it seemed too good a shot to miss. Night Hawk was, I think, just coming on shed and so just needed to be pulled forward a short distance. Roughly 40 years of ECML haulage development.

Until I read the caption I thought the nameplate said Night Mare.

• Like 2

Pah. Some people will never appreciate the sacrifices we make for them...

Anyway, here's my take on the above events...

Grantham_1938_trains_1.jpg

4491 was about the closest we had numerically to 4498. As per the background instructions, the J54 is poised with a van which has been detached and is ready to be sent on down to London.

Grantham_1938_trains_2.jpg

No. 1. It really is a fine thing, they've done an excellent job.

I think we may have to ask the Official photographer to recreate this one, but it seemed too good a shot to miss. Night Hawk was, I think, just coming on shed and so just needed to be pulled forward a short distance. Roughly 40 years of ECML haulage development.

Shouldn't it be 65 years of development?

(According to G F Bird No.1 was built in 1870 - if I am reading correctly.)

However, it's nice to see two Stirling engines together.

(Even if 3637A was built in 1880 but scrapped 8 years before the photograph was/could-have-been taken!)

I'll just pop this on here and leave it to Red Leader to decide whether developments should continue to appear on here, or in a new thread:

I can now reveal just a little of one of the things that has been keeping me very busy of late. I'm on the way to producing a master for a boiler (for resin casting) and will also in due course be catering for a number of the fittings for a loco that is a joint project. Most other parts of the loco will be etched, and as I'm not taking the lead in this particular project I feel compelled to leave it to the ringleader to tell us more in due course, possibly including the class of loco and the ID of the computer aided draughtsman who made the etching work possible. The ringleader is perhaps better known for building signals, large layouts and control systems that frighten beginners. He was talking a couple of weeks ago of starting to reveal what's going on with this loco, so I hope he won't mind me posting this to prompt him to do so.

I've been working rather carefully with this master, as I don't want the potential high quality and accuracy of the rest of the loco, if built skilfully from the etched parts, to be spoiled by any inaccuracy or roughness of finish in the resin parts. I've also been trying to get a step or two ahead of current needs by ensuring that the boiler is also right for an intended follow-up loco of a different class and for a couple of others too, just in case.

I'm afraid the pictures were the best that could be done quickly in fading evening light. We're getting to that time of year again....

post-3445-0-76074200-1536175119.jpgpost-3445-0-19312200-1536175128.jpg

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 11

I'll just pop this on here and leave it to Red Leader to decide whether developments should continue to appear on here, or in a new thread:

attachicon.gifSTA71059.JPGattachicon.gifSTA71060.JPG

Any who are interested in reading more about this can now find the full story on my workbench thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135798-g-train-locomotive-works-lner-b3-valour/?p=3291155

post-16151-0-88293400-1536263096_thumb.jpg

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 17

• 2 weeks later...

Latest instalment of the Quint construction story. Last time you saw it, it was a Quint set Cabriolet. So now, time for - roofs

post-16151-0-12318400-1537126429_thumb.jpg

This might seen excessive but for me a distinctive feature of these vehicles is how the gutter is formed where the roofs meet the top of the body sides. So here the gutter strips are being attached, shaped at the end. Aiming for an approx. 1mm overhang from the body sides.

post-16151-0-46838200-1537126449_thumb.jpg

Plastic roofs were supplied for all but one of the vehicle kits but I prefer to use metal for a more integral and structurally sound body shell. So here I'm 'rolling my own'. I'd love to show you my all singing-dancing, super-doper, whizzo set of rolling bars ... but I aint got any. It's all done manually using the vice in a distinctive Heath Robinson manner with round bar and sellotape. Not showing you that.

post-16151-0-46848600-1537126487_thumb.jpg

Now soldering roofs on, partly from the inside but mainly from the outside, hence the unsightly blobs of solder at this stage.

post-16151-0-98559500-1537126507_thumb.jpg

Looking better having been cleaned up with needle files.

post-16151-0-45568300-1537126529_thumb.jpg

This view is intended to show the effect of the gutter strip.

post-16151-0-69624900-1537126540_thumb.jpg

A cruel close up. If you can avert your eyes away from what appear to be deep gouge marks but are in fact only slight surface scratches that will disappear under the first waft of the primer spray can ... this is intended to show the end profile including the base of the gutters. All that needs to be added are the rain strips above each doorway.

post-16151-0-42671000-1537126564_thumb.jpg

Proof that it's been done to all five vehicles!

Bearing in mind rate of progress thus far, I'm aiming to have the bodies complete and painted in time for Wakefield. Nice-ities such as underframe detail and interiors will have to wait!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 18

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Grahame,

The Pig Lane team, well me and the Duck will be practicing this week for the Retford show the same weekend, so I will send his apology for not coming to view Grantham.

Now if you reside half way between Retford and Wakefield, why not make it a weekend of model railways and come and see both shows. :sungum: :sungum:

I would have liked to have come up to see the layout but regrettably I shall be in France that weekend, wargaming a battle from my groups 1941 Eastern Front campaign (my other hobby). I shall make every effort to see the layout on its next outing!

Well, as you might expect, it's all 'go' with only days to go before the (Wakefield) show.

Top of my list is the Quint set which, whilst not fully complete, I'm determined will be in service. At the end of the last update, all roofs were on. But there's still a lot to do...

post-16151-0-85152600-1541976424_thumb.jpg

Door top rain guards...

post-16151-0-53653300-1541976447_thumb.jpg

Ventilators and lamp tops...

post-16151-0-96517800-1541976493_thumb.jpg

Coach end gear. There's some insanely small parts on the brake etches - but I like small detail! These are the parts for the emergency brake gear. A priceless picture from good 'ol Modellers Backtrack provides the reference source.

post-16151-0-45603500-1541976535_thumb.jpg

Just the vacuum brake stand/hose to fit.

post-16151-0-01953400-1541976733_thumb.jpg

Roof skylights for the guard's areas.

post-16151-0-28995800-1541976795_thumb.jpg

And finally(!), the ventilator hoods. Not all vehicles in the set appear to have these fitted so I've replicated that. Seems to me to be typical of these sets, based on vehicles at the end of a long, hard life, all with a different story to tell.

post-16151-0-35261300-1541976945_thumb.jpg

Of course, all of this has been 'times five'. Five bodies ready for painting.

post-16151-0-24614400-1541977070_thumb.jpg

Primer and roof colour being sprayed. For the full effect - come and see at the show (or wait for the post-show pictures)

post-16151-0-76277100-1541977133_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile - danger! Man at work beneath baseboard.

post-16151-0-48165300-1541977192_thumb.jpg

Despite Grantham having been to ten shows now, there's always things still on the 'to do' list. In particular, the South Box operating position has been working on a temporary control box of which Mr Heath-Robinson himself would have been proud. But no longer! Andrew, our electrics / electronics whizz has made a pucker control box, seen here. He has also come up with a more advanced control card for the Veissman signal motors to prevent overloads and shut downs so also took the opportunity to install some of these during a whirlwind 24 hour visit. Hopefully, that will result in less head-scratching sessions interrupting the smooth flow of trains...

post-16151-0-45917300-1541977285_thumb.jpg

And there is always scenic enhancements that can be done. Here Tom 'detail' Dewdney is fixing in place some prepared parts to bring to life the previously bare area alongside the depot entrance line.

post-16151-0-32571200-1541978186_thumb.jpg

Pictures show this to have been the province of the local p-way gang, with their stock of spare bits n pieces to attend to any bit of trackwork in need of their loving care and attention. There's still some sort of Network Rail depot on this spot to this day.

Next report will be of the show itself!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 19

I’m really looking forward to seeing the Quint set at Wakefield. Glad you enjoyed the small details on the brakes. How far did you take the underframe detail?

Regards,

Frank

Look forward to seeing you there, Frank. Quite a list of things to do yet though, including all underframe detail(!), windows, lettering. I might just find time to get the buffers fitted to the brake ends, but we'll see. Of equally importance (to me) is that the set seems to run reliably, important for show running.

Should be quite a 'Howlden fest', with Jonathan's 1888 'Flying Scotsman' set also debuting!