Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium

​Martin, some us have been on here for what seems like decades and don't even remember our own names :stinker:

?

I came up with the idea with having our names badges at shows printed with the name at the top the normal way up for the public to see and then beneath it the same the names upside down so that we could just turn the badge upwards and find out what our own names were.  Comin to think of it I should have mixed and matched the lower row each day....

Jamie

RMWeb badges would be a good idea, joking apart.

"RMW" on the top, "forum username" below and the background in two colours to match your primary interests, these being period; Victorian, Pre-Grouping, Big4, Early BR, BR blue era, Privatisation, etc. And modelling speciality; Design/Planning, Baseboards, Track, Electrics, Kitbuilding, Signalling, Scenery, Operations, etc.

• RMweb Premium

RMWeb badges would be a good idea, joking apart.

"RMW" on the top, "forum username" below and the background in two colours to match your primary interests, these being period; Victorian, Pre-Grouping, Big4, Early BR, BR blue era, Privatisation, etc. And modelling speciality; Design/Planning, Baseboards, Track, Electrics, Kitbuilding, Signalling, Scenery, Operations, etc.

Hi Simon

We use to have RMweb meet ups at Warley. They don't seem to have happened over the past few years.

As has been mentioned elsewhere the first almost complete, joint-venture "G-train" OO B3 model to be assembled will be on display, in my care, at the Warley show at the NEC, where I'm doing another resin demo this coming weekend, so if it interests you please come along and have a look.

On a more serious note one or two people who have mentioned a desire for resin bits to collect from me at the show have failed to respond to recent e-mails, so in the hope that they may be looking at this will they please note that under the show rules for demonstrators I CANNOT TAKE PAYMENT AT THE SHOW, SO ANYBODY WANTING TO COLLECT PARTS MUST MAKE ARRANGEMENTS WITH ME REGARDING ANY NECESARY PAYMENT TODAY OR TOMORROW.

It is also now too late to request any further parts for collection from me at the show.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys I have posted plea on my Sheffield Exchange thread but I feel i might get a sensible answer from your collective LNER and modelling knowledge on here.

For a long time I have been considering building a LNER GER Hertford line quad-art set to add to my various non gangway coaches. Now the set is made up of a Brake Second (down rated to Third) 3 compartments , diagram 102+ First 6 compartments, diagram 103+Third 7 compartments, diagram 104 +Third 8 compartments, diagram 105. At the weekend I purchased from Precision paints some Kirk coach sides to supplement the Hornby shorty LNER coaches I am going to use.

The brake coach is easy as I have a full brake and some compartments to make it.

The first is very easy, just lop a compartment out of the all first coach side I picked up yesterday.

The 8 compartment third is the easiest as it is same as a normal third.

The 7 compartment third is the one I am having problems with. Most LNER non-gangway coaches have a third compartment that is 6ft 2ins wide, this coach they are 6ft 5/8ins wide. This is so it is the same length as the first class coach, 43 ft 5 ins. Do I just take out one compartment from a Kirk coach side and have a model that is 5 mm too long or do I try and reduce each compartment by less than a millimeter? Steel sided coaches are quite easy to cut and shut, Milliput can come to the rescue if not perfect. But to reduce a Gresley coach where the cut goes through both paneling and beading a (twelve) poor joint(s) will be hell to sort out. Can I live with a 5mm too long coach or do I bite the bullet and reduce the compartments?

Apart from yourselves, will any one know if the coach is too long.....in fact will most modellers know what a Hertford Quad looks like.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys I have posted plea on my Sheffield Exchange thread but I feel i might get a sensible answer from your collective LNER and modelling knowledge on here.

For a long time I have been considering building a LNER GER Hertford line quad-art set to add to my various non gangway coaches. Now the set is made up of a Brake Second (down rated to Third) 3 compartments , diagram 102+ First 6 compartments, diagram 103+Third 7 compartments, diagram 104 +Third 8 compartments, diagram 105. At the weekend I purchased from Precision paints some Kirk coach sides to supplement the Hornby shorty LNER coaches I am going to use.

The brake coach is easy as I have a full brake and some compartments to make it.

The first is very easy, just lop a compartment out of the all first coach side I picked up yesterday.

The 8 compartment third is the easiest as it is same as a normal third.

The 7 compartment third is the one I am having problems with. Most LNER non-gangway coaches have a third compartment that is 6ft 2ins wide, this coach they are 6ft 5/8ins wide. This is so it is the same length as the first class coach, 43 ft 5 ins. Do I just take out one compartment from a Kirk coach side and have a model that is 5 mm too long or do I try and reduce each compartment by less than a millimeter? Steel sided coaches are quite easy to cut and shut, Milliput can come to the rescue if not perfect. But to reduce a Gresley coach where the cut goes through both paneling and beading a (twelve) poor joint(s) will be hell to sort out. Can I live with a 5mm too long coach or do I bite the bullet and reduce the compartments?

Apart from yourselves, will any one know if the coach is too long.....in fact will most modellers know what a Hertford Quad looks like.

What is 5mm between friends?

Phil

I might lay the sides out in two ways:

Use the 1st sides twice, so you have two carriages the same length (and when you finish it you label one up as an all 3rd);

Use the 1st and 3rd sides so you have the unequal length;

and decide what offends your eye more. Then do the other one.

• RMweb Premium

I might lay the sides out in two ways:

Use the 1st sides twice, so you have two carriages the same length (and when you finish it you label one up as an all 3rd);

Use the 1st and 3rd sides so you have the unequal length;

and decide what offends your eye more. Then do the other one.

Hi Jonathan

Using another first will give me one less compartment and that will be more of a torment to me than a too long a coach.

Oh dear, I have had a second look at the diagrams, I am talking rubbish, the dia 103 were 1st/2nd composite, still six compartment but  two 2nds were standard 6 ft 2ins compartments, and 7 ft 6ins first (longer than normal) looks like some real muddling needs to be done. I think if I am having to make the firsts longer on the dia 103 to get the coach the right length then I should do so on the reverse and make the compartments smaller dia104s.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jonathan

Using another first will give me one less compartment and that will be more of a torment to me than a too long a coach.

Oh dear, I have had a second look at the diagrams, I am talking rubbish, the dia 103 were 1st/2nd composite, still six compartment but  two 2nds were standard 6 ft 2ins compartments, and 7 ft 6ins first (longer than normal) looks like some real muddling needs to be done. I think if I am having to make the firsts longer on the dia 103 to get the coach the right length then I should do so on the reverse and make the compartments smaller dia104s.

Sounds like a possible 'parts done by 3D print' could help, especially if others could use the same parts for 'projects'?

P

I am terribly sorry if this is the wrong thread but I saw somewhere, quite recently, a post by someone about coach lining and a photo that included a home-made padded wooden cradle to place the coach model into so that a metal square could be placed along the coach body to get a good straight line from an art pen. I'd like to build a similar cradle. I have been going through various threads I've been reading recently but just cannot find the post. Does anyone here recall such a thing?

I use just such a thing, made to a design in John Hayes' book The 4mm Coal Wagon. He used his for hand lettering. The cradle is the PECO foam one, the stand is made to fit it.

Is this the photo you meant? (Edit - no, it wasn't). I don't seem to have a picture of it in use.

Don't use a steel square, by the way, it's quite likely to scratch. i always use pieces of plastikard to rule along.

Edited by jwealleans

That wasn't the picture but something similar. It was a wooden frame or trough lined with foam and a padded foam wrist-rest. I recall one end of the trough was wooden as well so a square could be placed against it. I can definitely make something up based on your photo though - thanks very much.