Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your post; that's a lovely connection with your Dad's memories of pre-war LNER. Makes it all worthwhile when we comments like that.

Next shows at Spalding (Nov 2019) and Southampton (Jan 2020). Not quite 'south east', but within striking distance perhaps?

I'll PM you re DVD.

Graham

Graham

Thankyou - Spalding might be possible.

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well done Graham on a well-deserved spot in the BMRA results.

attachicon.gifLayout of the Year - Bronze - Grantham.jpg

The full results appear here - https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/141585-british-model-railway-awards-2018-the-winners/

Ooh look...a weathered streak....

Baz

• Agree 1

Well done Graham on a well-deserved spot in the BMRA results.

attachicon.gifLayout of the Year - Bronze - Grantham.jpg

The full results appear here - https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/141585-british-model-railway-awards-2018-the-winners/

Ooh - a bronze-y! Must have been on the sun bed too long (fat chance)

Thanks Andy for that - and thanks to all who voted.

Not sure that we did anything different or 'special' in 2018 (although there have been some undoubted highlights), just a case of gradual 'onwards and upwards' but maybe we are (finally) getting to the stage of a layout that, if not exactly 'complete', is at least achieving what it set out to do. Thanks (obviously) to all who have contributed so readily and - although I've said it before - I shall be ever grateful to this fantastic forum for all the support and help received; it really has been the making of the layout.

Graham ... Grant ... Red Leader ... 'Robert' (delete as appropriate)

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Stayed in Zermatt a few years ago, I was a rich man before I purchased a coffee there...

Also had a lovely trip up the Gornergrat only to find the top shrouded in mist, it could have been worse,  we might have purchased a second cup of coffee there...

• Like 3
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

DSC05197_LR.jpg.e01e8d73d6a04e29b20e63d3e37734a4.jpg

More gorgeous weather on Thursday for a trip to find an iconic figure by the lake. Who wants to live forever, anyway? Champion.

DSC05208_LR.jpg.8cf290718b90579201b265bf0934ede4.jpg

The town's station is of course the terminus of the Golden Pass route through Gstaad and Zweisimmen to Spiez.

No smoke on the water then...

• Like 5
  • Funny 2

What was Freddie's connection with Switzerland? Did Queen do a lot of recording there?

Superb photos. Switzerland must have the cleanest air in Europe. I only when there once when I was a lot younger but after two weeks walking around I had never felt healthier!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

What was Freddie's connection with Switzerland? Did Queen do a lot of recording there?

Superb photos. Switzerland must have the cleanest air in Europe. I only when there once when I was a lot younger but after two weeks walking around I had never felt healthier!

http://www.mercuryphoenixtrust.com/studioexperience/

• Like 1

Graham

Love the photos of Switzerland. When we were there nearly 6 years ago it was a whiteout on the Gonnergrat so the Matterhorn may as well as have not existed!

How is the quint coming along? Delayed by the need for a trial build of the B7 I expect.

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...

A question if I may regarding your point bending very early on during the building of Grantham. Did you find a limit to what your could bend your points too? I only ask as I wonder if it would be possible to take a double slip point to basically create this sort of  curvature?

Thanks in advance. 

12168DA5-D468-4E74-BA1F-FB21F5978EA2.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi there,

I think you'd be struggling with that. The point flexing is only really suitable for slight tweaks to turn a dead straight into a sweeping curve. The two slips that were tweaked at the north end on Grantham are within a six foot radius curve. By contrast, your suggestion is trying to turn the straight into the inner radius of the Peco curved point. That's about three foot radius (slightly less in parts as it's not a constant radius) so that's a lot more than a tweak.

I'd also be worrying about the left hand (inner) radius that you'd be ending up with there. You're probably down to set-track radii by the time you've put that amount of tweaking in.

The real problem is that you can't tweak the slip points evenly throughout their whole length as you have to leave well alone in the central section where the switch blades are. You get away with that on a gradual curve only.

Hope that's not too disappointing for you!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

Whilst Grantham slumbers on pending a summer dust down, there's another travelogue broken out in another area of the forum. Not sure quite where this link will take you but, to save double posting, it's all in this linked 'Big Boy' thread and I just posted the first instalment. I'll keep you posted.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Further update posted on the Big Boy thread.

In case you can't been be bothered to look, here is the beast, looking rather splendiferous in the early evening Cheyenne sunshine.

DSC06316_LR.jpg.fd79ea0ba0d38339da07b34ed6941c01.jpg 

TW has noticed that the smokebox handrail is too low.

That is absolutely huge.....what a mighty beast. It must sound really interesting when it is climbing those Rocky bits?

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1