The human side of the railway...

• RMweb Gold

I just came across this while looking for something else - This seems an appropriate thread in which to record it. If there is one for railway staff memorials I have photos of several from Swindon and one from Northiam and possibly more.

post-14351-0-83107700-1497957689_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This is as good a railway photograph as I've ever seen; seriously, I am reminded of O Winston Link, and while he was a horrible man, there is no higher praise in my view for a railway photographer...

This is as good a railway photograph as I've ever seen; seriously, I am reminded of O Winston Link, and while he was a horrible man, there is no higher praise in my view for a railway photographer...

He wasn't a horrible man, but his ex wife and friend were most vile!

• RMweb Gold

He wasn't a horrible man, but his ex wife and friend were most vile!

They were certainly no advert for humanity, either of them, but Link was a blatant racist and extreme right winger, to the extent that he caused comment at the time and not just on the general 'backgournd' level of the society he belonged to, not to mention a thoroughly miserable old git, at the same time as being a magnificent photographer, not only of trains; he had a very successful career as a portrait photographer of the very highest standard.  We like our heroes to be perfect, don't we, and O Winston Link was anything but!

• RMweb Premium

Dispensing with the number on the front appears to be catching on as re-liveried TransPennine Express 185 and 350 units have had similar treatment.

I don't imagine it will last long as where the number is positioned on the lower front valance on the 345 will pick up all the general dust, muck and grime thrown up from the track  and be obscured pretty quickly I would have thought.  The bodyside also looks inset slightly so might not be reached by the carriage washing plant.

Operationally though there is not much point in having the unit number prominently displayed on the outside these days (its far more useful inside the driving cab the driver can quote it over GSMR etc). Thus the only real use for them is when a driver may be looking for a particular unit in the sidings - but any half decent depot should be keeping tabs on what unit is where at any given point anyway.

• RMweb Premium

We like our heroes to be perfect, don't we, and [insert name here] was anything but!

I, like a lot of enthusiasts, will be aware of the work of Eric Gill primarily through the use of the Gill Sans typeface, used by the LNER and British Railways.

Some may even know he was a sculptor, designer and indeed a 'Royal Designer for Industry' (awarded by the Royal Society of Arts)

But I bet a lot of people like me did not realise what else he got up to in private - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Gill#Personal_life

I remember watching a BBC4 documentary about the 'Bohemians' or similar and was surprised to hear the name. when confirmed it was the same Eric Gill, I was even more surprised to hear the rest......

from the Wiki page, it would seem that it only became common knowledge in 1989 - even so, his professional reputation seems intact

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I, like a lot of enthusiasts, will be aware of the work of Eric Gill primarily through the use of the Gill Sans typeface, used by the LNER and British Railways.

Some may even know he was a sculptor, designer and indeed a 'Royal Designer for Industry' (awarded by the Royal Society of Arts)

But I bet a lot of people like me did not realise what else he got up to in private - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Gill#Personal_life

I remember watching a BBC4 documentary about the 'Bohemians' or similar and was surprised to hear the name. when confirmed it was the same Eric Gill, I was even more surprised to hear the rest......

from the Wiki page, it would seem that it only became common knowledge in 1989 - even so, his professional reputation seems intact

I agree, though I was unaware of his failings hitherto.  I think daughters and dogs are well beyond the remit of 'Bohemian', but he remains a great designer and the LNER and BR were lucky to be able to engage his services.  I was aware of his connection with Capel y Ffin, as remote a spot as you'll get even now; no wonder he found it lacking in intellectual stimulation and 'too far from London'; it's too far from anywhere!

• RMweb Gold

Waiting for the bell to ring.

post-414-0-53690100-1499719067_thumb.jpg

Ramsbottom Signal Box, East Lancashire Railway, Summer Diesel Spectacular, 8th July 2017

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

A token exchange.

post-414-0-45874100-1499761860_thumb.jpg

Colas 60026 on the East Lancashire Railway at Ramsbottom during the Summer Diesel Spectacular on 8th July. 

• Like 6

Different exchange ..............

Crew change DB style at Woodborough in the middle of darkest Wiltshire - with a posh taxi to/from the depot - not a bad way to earn a living.

This morning's diverted Severnside - Brentford "Binliner"

post-5198-0-48255600-1499776262_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

He's probably reading a note from his secondman telling him he's gone to loose off as the pair would just about be deaf as the loco is yet to be fitted with sound deadening partitions and leather curtains!

Leather curtains.... sounds a bit like a 'tart's boudour' to me..!