The human side of the railway...

• RMweb Gold

I hadn't noticed the nice gas lamp until now. I have now swapped in the uncropped version of this shot, from one of Dad's spotting logs, which shows the whole standard. The semi-circular name plate seems unusual to me. Was it a design the GER used elsewhere?

Dad often had prints made that came as two different sized versions and the smaller ones sometimes found their way into the log books. He actually notes that this could have been taken on the 27th or 28th as he hadn't noted it in his log.

The two-day round trip from Ripon to Cambridge and back is covered in nine and a half pages of log book, at approximately 25 locos per page.

post-14351-0-12864000-1490012206_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

September 7th 1988 and 50033 Glorious is about to set off from the exhaust-filled air of Paddington on the 0842 Network Express to Newbury. I liked the way the sun shone through the loco exhaust and the shadow it created and I well remember getting the camera out to photograph the train just as the driver started to wash the windscreens. For some reason I thought I'd wait for him to finish the job before taking the photo so that he wasn't "in the way". It was only after he finished that I realised how much more interesting the shot would have been with him in it. As he walked back with the bucket and brush the sun highlighted his jacket and so I took the shot. I think it's quite evocative of the time and place but I really wish I'd taken one of him actually cleaning the windows. There's not much to go on but maybe our resident former Old Oak driver might know who he is.

post-17370-0-46241400-1490440002_thumb.jpg

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Great thread and pictures, here's a modest contribution.

A friendly bunch of P Way guys fettling the plain line that they had just replaced the turnout for the North Chord at Bradford Junction with, 1989 from memory.

post-19301-0-32627600-1490448568.jpg

Simon

• Like 11

I wouldn't normally post a phot to which doesn't provide a direct link but to me, John Atkinson's image of Mainsforth Terrace sheds (British West Hartlepool) invokes a great feeling of place, era & atmosphere.

I wonder whose wall the Hunslet plate off the class 05 now adorns or maybe it was weighed in at one of the many nearby scrap merchants?

https://flic.kr/p/SCVVvW

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't normally post a phot to which doesn't provide a direct link but to me, John Atkinson's image of Mainsforth Terrace sheds (British West Hartlepool) invokes a great feeling of place, era & atmosphere.

I wonder whose wall the Hunslet plate off the class 05 now adorns or maybe it was weighed in at one of the many nearby scrap merchants?

https://flic.kr/p/SCVVvW

P

I've got one, but I don't know which loco it came off! Brass, weighs a ton.

• Like 2

Not only steam locos needed turning.

They had to do it by hand as the electric mechanism wouldn't work.

I had to use that particular turntable once and it was a tricky thing to get to work in electric mode.

33719939805_6f8cbfac43_b.jpgA281B -033 by Paul James, on Flickr

40158 on Ferm park turntable being turned due to no working lights at one end. February 1981

Paul J.

Edited to add additional information.

Edited by Swindon 123
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Mon 3/4/2017 at the Talyllyn

Watering at Dolgoch Falls

post-106-0-20754800-1491930153.jpg

Running in to Nant Gwernol

post-106-0-93430100-1491930168.jpg

What were they looking at? Never did find out...

post-106-0-06115600-1491930172.jpg

I know he's not human, but he thinks he is!

post-106-0-40256900-1491930165_thumb.jpg

• Like 9