The human side of the railway...

It could well be an Old Oak man I suppose, on a nice out and back mileage job perhaps!

Mileage jobs, now those were the days....

Happy days. 5 Donny returns would just about double my take home pay. Even better if you could get a Sunday one on top! Still not as good as the contract link for the drivers at "The Cross" though.

Paul J.

• Like 2

Rugby Midland in the '60s.... local rumour has it that most, if not all of the BR maroon enamel signage from this fantastic place is secreted away in one of my ex-colleague's loft / basement / garage. It's exceptionally rare for any Rugby Midland (or Central for that matter) signage to come to auction....

post-7638-0-10458200-1501248856_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 12

Rugby Midland in the '60s.... local rumour has it that most, if not all of the BR maroon enamel signage from this fantastic place is secreted away in one of my ex-colleague's loft / basement / garage. It's exceptionally rare for any Rugby Midland (or Central for that matter) signage to come to auction....

attachicon.gifRY Rugby Midland 1960s.jpg

27 July 1968. Coincidence that the photograph was taken forty nine years ago yesterday?

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

Why would you lay a trolley on its side? It's not likely to run off with only 2 wheels. Answers on a postcard. smile.gif

It forms a nice little table to stand other luggage on?

Davey

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Happy days. 5 Donny returns would just about double my take home pay. Even better if you could get a Sunday one on top! Still not as good as the contract link for the drivers at "The Cross" though.

Paul J.

The 'short mileage' for freight guards was the bread and butter on my living wage for a long time. topped up with a bit of time and a third between 22.00 and 06.00.  I could manage without rest days and Sundays mostly, but some Sunday work was such a doddle it was hard to turn down!

Assisting the Police. Saturday 11.08.90

post-31978-0-95701200-1501441535_thumb.jpg

post-31978-0-56436700-1501441542.jpg

On a Saturday afternoon Sussex Police turned up at the Depot to ask if it was possible to search the local lineside for evidence in connection with a raid on a local Building Society the previous week. Fortunately the Carriage Washer Road ran the full length of the search area. A spare Unit was brought out, and with an extra four pair of eyes took the Police for a ride. Seen on the return the Sussex Police WDC clutches the successfully recovered dummy shotgun and evidence bag.

Edited by anroar53
  • Like 9

27 July 1968. Coincidence that the photograph was taken forty nine years ago yesterday?

P

The following day The Beatles went walkabout in London for a well known photo shoot during a break in the White Album sessions, talking of the Fabs, here they are at Marylebone in 1964...

post-7638-0-17934400-1501759930.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 6

In the Factory at Old Oak on 20th October 1965, D1004 'Western Invader' in grubby green livery receives some tlc... the old boy on the right with the flat cap and glasses looks like Arthur Lowe...!

post-7638-0-70890000-1501761206_thumb.jpg

With my railway mojo rejuvenated recently I'm finding this specific period on the WR more and more absorbing, steam was pretty much gone by this time and corporate blue was still yet to appear, so the Hydraulic fleet was still in green or maroon at this stage with most of the coaching stock also in maroon. Staff wise, the WR still had many thousands of ex-GWR men on its books who must have thought all this Hydraulic malarkey was a passing phase.

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

In the Factory at Old Oak on 20th October 1965, D1004 'Western Invader' in grubby green livery receives some tlc... the old boy on the right with the flat cap and glasses looks like Arthur Lowe...!

attachicon.gifD10xx Old Oak 20th October 1965 GSYP IMG_7268.jpg

With my railway mojo rejuvenated recently I'm finding this specific period on the WR more and more absorbing, steam was pretty much gone by this time and corporate blue was still yet to appear, so the Hydraulic fleet was still in green or maroon at this stage with most of the coaching stock also in maroon. Staff wise, the WR still had many thousands of ex-GWR men on its books who must have thought all this Hydraulic malarkey was a passing phase.

Well, they were right, weren't they.

• Like 1

Like the Manchester Victoria pic can just imagine conversation ,last time this went wrong I pushed it back into the socket,but its not worked weve now got a broken one!

I reckon they're practicing retracting the electical coupling box on the BSI coupler. Part of sprinter/ pacer/ turbo unit training to this day...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A small contingent of the orange army gets a final briefing on the soon to be lengthened short suburban platforms at London Waterloo on 4th August 2017, ahead of three weeks of engineering work which began on 5th August.

post-414-0-59417400-1502025720.jpg

I hope it all goes smoothly for the orange army, rail staff and travelling public using Waterloo over the next few weeks. 

• Like 6