The human side of the railway...

• RMweb Gold
On 19/11/2019 at 21:45, Rugd1022 said:

The one right next to Battersea Power station Ian, was it called Lambeth Yard officially...? In the scene there's a big shoot out and the yard is full of departmental stock, it all looks very bleak!

South Lambeth was the name and it was originally GWR!

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Notice the headshunt that gave access to the GWR sidings. When plans were laid for Battersea Power Station to stop generating in the early '80s, it was suddenly realised that hot water from the cooling towers was being used to heat flats on the other side of the river. A new boiler house had to be quickly designed, and the headshunt was shortened to permit this facility to be constructed. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

4 hours ago, keefer said:

Thread about South Lambeth:

Also shown on the 1912 RCH Junction diagram (stated as in public domain):

1024px-Clapham_Junction,_Stewarts_Lane,_

Thanks for posting the map - I still can't get my head round the fact that I actually sign some of it, it's the southernmost bit on my route card! Almost a year ago I got wrong routed at Latchmere...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 22/11/2019 at 15:43, Rugd1022 said:

Almost a year ago I got wrong routed at Latchmere...

Ah yes.  The strange mis-routing and time eating phenomenon first noticed in the early 80s and native to South and South East London.  Scientists have given it the Latin name Signallus Centrum Victoria.

Edited by DY444
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The annoying thing was that I was being accessed by my guvnor at the time, he just rolled his eyes and laughed! Using the GSM-R on Victoria's manor is often a pain in the Aris, you press the right button but end up talking to the wrong panel...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Rugd1022 said:

The annoying thing was that I was being accessed by my guvnor at the time, he just rolled his eyes and laughed! Using the GSM-R on Victoria's manor is often a pain in the Aris, you press the right button but end up talking to the wrong panel...

I gather it's a bit of a lottery round there as to whether you get put through to Wimbledon, Victoria C or Victoria SE.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

In the run-up to VARS - Victoria Area Resignalling Scheme - I was told a site visit to Latchmere Junction box was 'interesting'. Apparently the signalman on early turn was forever moving aside the calendar on the back wall of the box to reveal a peep-hole. Evidently in one of the houses to the rear the milkman was daily delivering rather more than pintas!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

In the run-up to VARS - Victoria Area Resignalling Scheme - I was told a site visit to Latchmere Junction box was 'interesting'. Apparently the signalman on early turn was forever moving aside the calendar on the back wall of the box to reveal a peep-hole. Evidently in one of the houses to the rear the milkman was daily delivering rather more than pintas!

Ah, Sheepcote Lane perchance...? Scene of one of the greatest Sweeney car chases from the classic episode 'Stoppo Driver' in 1975 no less...

Stoppo%20Driver%20(9).jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, DY444 said:

I gather it's a bit of a lottery round there as to whether you get put through to Wimbledon, Victoria C or Victoria SE.

Communications issues contributed to an incident at North Pole Jcn where passengers self-detrained after delays in dealing with a stranded train, so not just South London

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/safety-digest-092019-north-pole-junction/passengers-self-evacuating-at-north-pole-junction-15-july-2019

• Informative/Useful 2

14 minutes ago, keefer said:

Communications issues contributed to an incident at North Pole Jcn where passengers self-detrained after delays in dealing with a stranded train, so not just South London

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/safety-digest-092019-north-pole-junction/passengers-self-evacuating-at-north-pole-junction-15-july-2019

Once again nobody willing to take charge of the situation and formulate a plan to recover the train in a timely manner, just how many times do we have to round round the same circus!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

'She said, Ernie I'll be 'appy if it comes up to my chest' (Benny Hill).

A lady in a house backing on to the SWML in Newport at the down relief signal which we were often held at awaiting passage through High St, between the A48 girder bridge and the river bridge, would sometimes give a bit of a performance on her own for our benefit, at night with the lights on in her room.  I never took any photos for the thread, though, sorry...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2
  • Funny 3