Hemyock - Down on the farm...

aberdare

• RMweb Gold

Jim,

Popped in after a busy weekend and Wow!  You have lost none of your modelling skill or ingenuity.  It all looks fantastic.  The ywo types of bushes would not look out of place I two cottages next to each other, one which has someone who looks after their hedge and one who does not.

What is the tank engine?  I am not sure it is a Meto, but I am not too familiar with GWR tanks of that time.

More great pics of the riverside. The dry stone wall has come up very nicely with the over-growths. But the third pic down with the dry looking grass clumps below the cattle dock and the sixth photo of the river do it for me. :good:

Cheers, Gary.

• RMweb Gold

What a difference a year makes. You are showing us some very interesting views, that last one is one of the most inspiring layout pics I've seen for a while.  I'm trying to figure out what makes it so convincing. I guess it's your use of gradients, textures and "deep" scenery (as supposed to narrow and elongated scenery). We get the railway in the landscape, but it doesn't drown.

• Like 1

Afternoon Jim,

Superb and truly inspirational modelling, it really is an education reading through your thread and I imagine that lots of people take notes!

Good to hear in another post that your good lady seems to be recovering.

Look forward to the next episode,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

Thanks again for all the likes from everyone.

Thanks Mikkel, the layout is currently 10' 6" by 2' 9" and I have tried to include as many things as I could that created a number of differing views, it took me ages at first with a scale drawings of the board and layout being twisted all ways to include the bits I wanted to model. One of the reasons for me turning it around was to put the flat area (the pasture) to the back as it is then easier to photograph from both sides as well as being easier for me to operate. When I think that I'm only just completing 20% of the whole project I know I will keep busy for a while yet. I just hope I can maintain the standard and my enthusiasm.

Thank you as well Jock & Andy for your comments. As for your comment Jock I was inspired by others when I first joined and it feels good to be able to give something back to the forum that I took so much from. I hope to reach completion of this section in another year plus a bit more, I need to keep ahead of Andy.

I'm hoping to complete the thatched ridge (slow going though) and the butter factory over the winter as other scenic work takes too long to dry.

All the best

Jim

• Like 5

Jim,

Thanks for your kind comments over on my thread. I have really enjoyed reading through your progress and am inspired by the superb structures and scenery you have built. Some wonderful tips, scratch building, photography and modelling. I will be following future developments eagerly.

John

• Like 1

I'm probably a year late with this Jim as I've just found your Hemyock thread and what a wonderful thread it is too.

I can undersatand your attraction to Hemyock as it once inspired me to build it in O gauge some while back now and it was really wonderful researching such an antiquated old line with probably the shortest run round loop anywhere on the entire railway network until they lengthened it.

However, although my effort looked something like Hemyock, I can't say that it was any where near as convincing as yours. A wonderful job. well done.

Cheers.

Allan.

• Like 4

Thank you John and Allan for your comments and the ratings.

One of the reasons for modelling a prototype was to try copy what was there as close as possible, not easy from the limited photographs of the period, as for the colours I'm so glad to have got them somewhere near, a lot taken from more modern information though.

As long as it's recognisable as the early Hemyock I'll always be happy, I just hope to do the same with the Junction in a couple of years time.

Currently still planting up the rest of the riverbank with weeds, ridge making and preparing for baseboard extension.

Thanks to everyone for looking in, following and commenting.

Jim

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It looks absolutely brilliant Jim, I love that overall shot in post 335.

As Mikkel says, it is one of the most believable "railways in a landscape" that I've ever seen, and in my opinion it's partly the superb trees that lend it that authenticity, normally model trees are nowhere near big enough.

The other thing is of course the pasture and river, which are just exquisite.

Your colourings, and eye for detail, just work so well.

Beautiful,

Al.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just lost a good hour catching with this lovely layout.

Inspirational modelling of the highest order, Jim.

Rob

All I can say is 'awe striking'.

Having chanced upon the pictures in post 327 I had to go back to page one and follow the story in it's entirety. 

Superb modelling plus!  Hugely atmospheric. I'm half-convinced I could just pull my boots on and take a bracing walk through your landscape.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

After a break of several months for personal reasons the modelling has started again.

I would just like to thank those who replied and liked the posts, I do have to take breaks now and again but hope that they are not as long from now on.

It was around February time that I went to my shed, looked at all the furniture and disability items and thought to myself 'Jim. you really do need to get back to normal life', so I set about improving access and getting the shed sorted. While doing this I decided where I needed baseboards so put some in place, no :no: , that's not the right thing to do is it, fix them in place properly and that is what happened over the following weeks. Now that I had started I spent what time I could in there, anything from 15 minutes to a couple of hours as long as progress was made I was happy.

It wasn't long before a few bits of track got spread over the boards and that's where I thought of the new title.

So there isn't too much to see as yet as I have only been baseboard building and laying track but here is a few photographs of the progress since February.

post-13569-0-59174700-1433795240_thumb.jpg

This is it after I chucked a few bits of track at it and shuffled it about to check it would all fit as I had planned it, which it seemed to so it was time to take this a bit more seriously now.

post-13569-0-31526600-1433795330_thumb.jpg

The next job was to complete laying cork across all the boards and around the end of the shed to what will be the storage yards. The track was again laid back on to get a rough idea of position.

post-13569-0-36823200-1433795731_thumb.jpg

Then it was time to follow a scale plan as closely as space allowed, of course this is when all the niggly little issues arise.

The station is on a very slight curve and depending on what photographs you look at it sometimes looks very slight or sometimes a lot sharper and I had loads of attempts at getting it right - I'm still not sure now - but it's down now so that's that.

The other problem with the curve was having to bend Peco points and crossings, fairly simple to do (as discussed elsewhere on the forum) and it stopped that curve-straight-curve effect, however it meant that the main line was exiting the side of the baseboard sooner than expected from my initial rough alignment so a few adjustments to the curve were made again.

Anyway here are a few shots to show what I hope is the final positions,

post-13569-0-16384100-1433796807_thumb.jpg

Looking toward London with a temporary down platform on the right with the CVLR branch curving around it.

post-13569-0-22846000-1433796761_thumb.jpg

Looking across the yard toward the Exe Valley line, in the background are copies of the contractors building plans of 1897 (courtesy of the Wiltshire & Swindon History Museum) and the detail on them is amazing, I just hope I can do the building justice when I build it.

post-13569-0-86629300-1433796887_thumb.jpg

Looking towrds Exeter.

post-13569-0-29333800-1433797445_thumb.jpg

An overall view showing the full length except for two points off the bottom of the picture.

Well that's it, all I have to do now is complete the wiring and test it before ballasting and then.....

..... don't know really I haven't thought that far ahead so I'll see where the mood takes me.....mind you the thought of a weeping willow is constantly nagging......but then again,,,,,, :scratchhead: hmmmmmm.

Hope to catch you later,

Jim

• Like 18

Excellent Jim, Great to see your motivated again after a difficult period. Now that's my way of Layout Planning, throw a few Points onto the board and see if it fits. I'm not familiar with the area so its difficult for me to see how it joins the rest of Hemyock Station.

Is the s-bend at the far end in the last photo prototypical or practical? (I guess the latter) I hope you don't mind me saying but in that photo to my eyes it jars a bit with the smooth flow of track through the station. Presumably it would impinge too much into room if the curve through the station continued or reversed much less then tightened. Or will it be hidden by scenic break? If I've orientated myself correctly at the south end there was bridge you can use, but the north end nothing so ready?

Given the standard of your modelling of Hemyock, I really do look forward to seeing this develop, Jim.

All the best

Jon