North Devon branches farewell tours pictures from 1970

winterbournecm

Hi There

A little plug for a web site I'm involved in showing some stunning images of farewell DMU tours and brake van rides along various Devon branches including Hemyock, Ilfracombe, Meeth etc.

I'm sure many on RM Web with appreciate the detail and significance of the trips.

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/diesel-railtours-in-cornwall--devon.html

Cheers

Craig

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure many on RM Web with appreciate the detail and significance of the trips.

Craig

Absolutely, thank you so much for sharing. I just missed out on these trips, as my family moved to the West Country in 1976

All the best,

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

It truly is a fair cop, Captain! Implausibly, I once ventured to Exeter Central in the Wessex era - and found they, too had actually printed Barnstable on the departure sheets! Coming from the SE, I am aware of Whitstable, of course - but having been in this hobby all my life, I also knew how to spell Hornby Dublo's original rebuilt West Country!

In the picture of the unknown gentleman looking intently looking at the train headboard, I can reveal that is Harold Liddle who made the headboards for all of the P R C railtours including this one.

Surprisingly even though I was on the train he is the only passenger I can recognise!

• 6 months later...

Well done Craig for sharing, fascinating to see shots at Fremington after the end of pass traffic and before the S.B. was demolished.

If its not too blatant, I've been doing lots of work on my North Devin Railways website, these past few weeks, with new BR material and photos taken in the 70s/80s on the section Torrington to Meeth - www.northdevondiesels.webs.com

Thanks again for sharing shots - keep em coming!

Regards, Paul

Archived