Leeds City, the Midland Side, in 4mm.

TheLaird

Sorry if you've already discussed this and I've missed it. What couplings are you using, and what plans havr you for uncoupling?

Sprat and Winkle finescale couplings with permanent magnets below the track.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Those block instruments look very nice indeed. Are they a private laser cut project or might they be available to others? I can think of at least one person (me!) who was about to look at making something similar and could be saved a few hours work.

Tony Gee

Those block instruments look very nice indeed. Are they a private laser cut project or might they be available to others? I can think of at least one person (me!) who was about to look at making something similar and could be saved a few hours work.

Tony Gee

They certainly could be available to others Tony, send me a pm with your requirements.

John E

We now have a means of releasing locos trapped at the end of the fiddle yard. A bit crude but will suffice until something more sophisticated arrives....No pressure Andy!

post-10660-0-29255700-1496424967_thumb.jpg

post-10660-0-52299100-1496424980_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

We now have a means of releasing locos trapped at the end of the fiddle yard. A bit crude but will suffice until something more sophisticated arrives....No pressure Andy!

attachicon.gifSFY 02-06-17a.jpg

attachicon.gifSFY 02-06-17b.jpg

Control bits ordered to start experimenting with. :)

Once I've sorted that we'll talk mechanics, may need some input from your laser cutter :yes:

Was that just before, just after or during one of my (many) signalling 'confusions' today :D

I knew my comment at post #599 was tempting fate....

Mind you, the dummy signals help achieve a 'geographical' link to the box diagrams.

Edited by leopardml2341

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

Superb progress!  I may be quite, but I do keep looking in an marvelling at what you are creating!  If you don't mind me asking, what is the radius of the curves from the fiddle yard into the station throat?

Rich

Hi John,

Superb progress!  I may be quite, but I do keep looking in an marvelling at what you are creating!  If you don't mind me asking, what is the radius of the curves from the fiddle yard into the station throat?

Rich

Rich, minimum radius is 3ft or 90cm at the tightest spot on the inside curves.

John E.

• RMweb Gold

Rich, minimum radius is 3ft or 90cm at the tightest spot on the inside curves.

John E.

Hi John,

Wow, thanks, it looked wider than that!

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

John, 

a most thought provoking day today. Thank you for letting me see the scheme..... and being brave enough to let me join in. 

With imagination dressing the set for me, it was certainly evocative seeing trains of such length creeping in and out and all the parallel moves! Subsequently, I thought I better do a little research to understand things a bit better...... I'm also starting to think about the photo angles ( I might be out of he trade for now, but I'm not certain the trade can get out of me). I'm certainly intrigued as to what the buildings will add to the mix.

Steve

• Like 3

Thanks must go to the Laird for allowing me too to have a crack at operating the layout. Certainly the most complex (or should that be realistic) to operate layout I have ever had the good fortunate to operate. Definitely provoked a few ideas for my layout of Warrington Bank Quay, and a sizeable nudge for me to get on with the build.

Think I can still hear those peaks...

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 2

Thanks to you guys for turning up to operate today, it was interesting to have a full complement on hand for the first time. We had some laughs, and even managed the inaugural run of the Clyde - Clyde express - who wants to go to London anyway!  :ireful:  :ireful:  :ireful: Don't worry John, it will get better as we all improve!!

Kevin

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John,

Just looking at the last photograph that you posted and, as I've said many times I think it looks superb but it also looks immensely long, how long is it? My understanding was that Leeds City was being built in the same shed as Bradfield albeit that you increased the width last year, did you also increase the length of the shed?

Keep up the good work.

Ian

Hi John,

Just looking at the last photograph that you posted and, as I've said many times I think it looks superb but it also looks immensely long, how long is it? My understanding was that Leeds City was being built in the same shed as Bradfield albeit that you increased the width last year, did you also increase the length of the shed?

Keep up the good work.

Ian

Ian, I only increased the width. The total dimensions of the shed are 21ft x 18ft approx. Bradfield was designed to fit in the garage so was just over 14ft long whereas Leeds takes advantage of the whole space so is now 21ft long by about 16ft wide. There is a 2ft gap along the front for operators and visitors.

John E.

• Like 1

Following on from our successful running session, I always reflect on what went well and what didnt. As a result, certain improvements have been put in hand. Consequently, a major possession is now in force over the whole railway. In the last shot of the layout posted on 9th June, it can be seen that the lighting casts everything at the front of the layout in shadow so one long term plan has been to extend the lighting rig forward and re position the lights nearer the front edge.

post-10660-0-05186700-1500830331_thumb.jpg

Doing this also makes it practical to mount a duplicate switch panel for all of the handpoints so that the shunter can operate from the front. This is a result of one of the lessons learned from the running session, there is not enough room for all operators at the rear of the layout and as none of us are getting any slimmer something has to be done. You will recall that the intention was to mount the signal boxes in front of the layout and this is now being put in hand. Rather than keep moving the signal boxes when I am operating alone, I have decided to build a complete duplicate panel on the inside and the beginnings of this can be seen in one of the shots.

post-10660-0-81968700-1500830350_thumb.jpg

Another shot shows a close up of the individual duplicate panels one of which will be mounted on the front fascia.

post-10660-0-06428300-1500830363_thumb.jpg

Three of the individual panels will be mounted on the main panel together with the yet to be constructed City South panel and the Leeds West block instruments and bells.

Edited by TheLaird
  • Like 8

Probably a bit late now, but would it practical just to duplicate the connections and have each of the control panels on an umbilical cord?

Mike.

That was kind of the original plan Mike but of course soon as you put a panel on the other side everything is reversed, hence the decision to duplicate. I also wanted to mount them on the fascia to get them out of the way.

John.

• Like 1