Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

*snip*

Before taking pictures of a layout, make sure the builders have removed any cobwebs first! Surely this should be a must-do task at an exhibition. 

These will take ages to Photoshop-out, and even then it probably won't be worth it.

I seem to recall that layout also having a deceased spider hanging inside one of the fiddelyard tunnels too.

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

A small vacuum cleaner should be part of any layout exhibitor's kit.

I was admiring my niece's model of a Henry Hoover she had on her desk. I didn't realise it was a proper working vacuum cleaner for cleaning dust from your computer. Not suitable for heavy cleaning, but may have a use for removing light dust from a model. Even has a crevice tool for getting between the keys.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001GNTLGY/ref=asc_df_B001GNTLGY58690993/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22146&creativeASIN=B001GNTLGY&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309911992479&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3612586058653925438&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046496&hvtargid=pla-378328093583

Jason

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Daniel W said:

I seem to recall that layout also having a deceased spider hanging inside one of the fiddelyard tunnels too.

I'm told it's stored in a barn, Daniel,

Little Bytham gets the occasional unwanted cobweb (though I can't imagine a 'wanted' one) ; I suppose it's inevitable. 

Great to chat to you at the weekend.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I was admiring my niece's model of a Henry Hoover she had on her desk. I didn't realise it was a proper working vacuum cleaner for cleaning dust from your computer. Not suitable for heavy cleaning, but may have a use for removing light dust from a model. Even has a crevice tool for getting between the keys.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001GNTLGY/ref=asc_df_B001GNTLGY58690993/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22146&creativeASIN=B001GNTLGY&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309911992479&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3612586058653925438&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046496&hvtargid=pla-378328093583

Jason

They're nice - great idea.

Talking of 'Henry' vacuum cleaners In a past job on the big railway I had occasion to attend an industrial cleaning exhibition and got talking to a supplier of the industrial version of Henry whose eyes lit up like Blackpool illuminations when I told him I was looking for some new vacuum cleaners and wanted at least eight.  Very keen to sell he offered to come along and do a demonstration so I ytlf d him said cleaner had to withstand beindg dropped fron a height greater than 6ft onto solid concrete and still work at maximum efficiency - I think he thought I was joking.

Anyway on the appointed day he duly presented himself at the appointed time and I took him round the carriage sidings to a train of Mk 1 coaches into which we climbed (from ground level) and 'Henry' was put to work on the local commuters' best efforts of carriage dirtying, doing an impressive job, far better than our existing vacuum cleaners.   Salesman looked suitably pleased whenever I looked suitably impressed and voiced my approval and he asked how many I wanted?  I duly explained, as we walked to a door, that we had only done the first part of the test and there was more to come before I would place an order   I opened the door and kicked poor 'Henry' out of it onto the very solid concrete walkway at rail level between the sidings and the look on the poor salesman's face was a joy to behold as I added 'well I did tell you'. (Some of our Carriage Cleaners having the nasty habit of regularly treating kit like that.)   

We then  got out, picked up 'Henry' - still in one piece -and moved on to another vehicle where we again did a test vacuum clean of the floor - to my entire satisfaction, and the salesman's obviously considerable relief.  I ordered six on the spot as an initial order - so it was back to big smiles time.  Oh and they were great, stood up well to hard work, ideal on all stock but especially the carpets in HSTs.  And they suffered remarkably little damage in everyday use so perhaps the Carriage Cleaners respected them because they had a name?

Back to smaller scales.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

They're nice - great idea.

Talking of 'Henry' vacuum cleaners In a past job on the big railway I had occasion to attend an industrial cleaning exhibition and got talking to a supplier of the industrial version of Henry whose eyes lit up like Blackpool illuminations when I told him I was looking for some new vacuum cleaners and wanted at least eight.  Very keen to sell he offered to come along and do a demonstration so I ytlf d him said cleaner had to withstand beindg dropped fron a height greater than 6ft onto solid concrete and still work at maximum efficiency - I think he thought I was joking.

Anyway on the appointed day he duly presented himself at the appointed time and I took him round the carriage sidings to a train of Mk 1 coaches into which we climbed (from ground level) and 'Henry' was put to work on the local commuters' best efforts of carriage dirtying, doing an impressive job, far better than our existing vacuum cleaners.   Salesman looked suitably pleased whenever I looked suitably impressed and voiced my approval and he asked how many I wanted?  I duly explained, as we walked to a door, that we had only done the first part of the test and there was more to come before I would place an order   I opened the door and kicked poor 'Henry' out of it onto the very solid concrete walkway at rail level between the sidings and the look on the poor salesman's face was a joy to behold as I added 'well I did tell you'. (Some of our Carriage Cleaners having the nasty habit of regularly treating kit like that.)   

We then  got out, picked up 'Henry' - still in one piece -and moved on to another vehicle where we again did a test vacuum clean of the floor - to my entire satisfaction, and the salesman's obviously considerable relief.  I ordered six on the spot as an initial order - so it was back to big smiles time.  Oh and they were great, stood up well to hard work, ideal on all stock but especially the carpets in HSTs.  And they suffered remarkably little damage in everyday use so perhaps the Carriage Cleaners respected them because they had a name?

Back to smaller scales.

Good, straightforward, well-engineered product. And made in the South-West too (Chard).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

He's also going to produce many types of drivers with stainless steel tyres. There are several advantages to this; the material is cheaper than nickel silver, gives a greater coefficient of friction at the rail head and they won't rust. 

That is very welcome news, very much looking forward to their availability.  It does remind me that I must get on and order wheels and a chassis for my Manor.  

Hopefully my third approach at chassis building runs better than the last two!

Thanks again for all the inspiration from this thread.  I certainly wouldn’t have just finished my first etched loco body without it.  Hopefully I will manage to make it to a show you are demonstrating at to thank you in person.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Does RTR get much better than this?

1676694977_HornbyPrincessCoronationLMSredR3677.jpg.d2e068ab40230ae1817d78a12e465b33.jpg

One of Hornby's latest original 'Princess Coronations'.

There's even a replacement bogie/pony with 'scale' wheels, plus bits to fit. 

Some years ago, I built a DJH streamlined 'upturned bathtub', which Ian Rathbone painted. What price anything like that now? Pity the poor kit-makers! 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

A small vacuum cleaner should be part of any layout exhibitor's kit.

I used to use one, but for some reason fellow exhibition attendees didn't seem to like it.

22 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

At least he's shown us a picture of what he's making, Mike,

Over to you.

Good to see you at Stafford, by the way. 

Fair comment.

Thereby hangs a tale, Stafford exhibition took me 5 days to attend, so nipping home to do a bit of modelling at night isn't on the agenda regrettably.

Also, the only prodigous part of my modelling is the roundtuit pile, and personally I don't feel the need to do modelling in every spare minute of my time, if I do a bit every now and again I'm quite happy, and not let modelling take over.

I have 2 main projects on the go, one is a large well known layout which I am converting to DCC, (gasps and sweats from TW!), which to fully realise it's potential needs a considerable amount of building expense to accomodate it, the other, a mini layout which I am making small enough to fit into a suitcase and still be on the exhibition circuit in the UK.

Mainly the real reason for a lack of photo's of my output is twofold, firstly it's good enough for me but probably not anyone else, and I find it a PITA to download photo's from my phone to laptop to here, although there are examples of my efforts hereabouts.

None of the foregoing is intended to criticise anyone else on RMWeb, just a few rambling thoughts and reasons for my seeming tardiness!

Mike.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

One of the privileges of having so many talented model railway friends, is that I get to photograph what they're making. 

Dsc_0937.jpg.1d942096210d871b4af0089b490664d3.jpg

Dsc_0942.jpg.339d58325a0998def79d0e4bed35f0f3.jpg

This scratch-built Wantage Tramway 0-4-0T in 7mm is all the work of Geoff Haynes.

Superb!

Rather puts my recent effort to shame.

399.JPG.228086131a2d57a69fffceb17a321835.JPG

400.JPG.df7cdf17297bbef28d9e4fb63b4e1418.JPG

Still being finished with a few bits to add.  A few things could be better, but I'm pleased with it.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

1676694977_HornbyPrincessCoronationLMSredR3677.jpg.d2e068ab40230ae1817d78a12e465b33.jpg

Some years ago, I built a DJH streamlined 'upturned bathtub', which Ian Rathbone painted. What price anything like that now? Pity the poor kit-makers! 

Do they provide loco trailing wheels that touch the rails? Are the scale wheels for P4 track?:jester:

Pity the poor kit makers? I'd still rather having something I made and has a bit of my input, even if it isn't as well painted and finished as something off a Chinese production line

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

It did strike me that it lacks "soul". Perhaps it just needs to gather the patina of use. I hope there are some cab doors in the accessory packs, as they're always closed in photos. 

I understand perfectly well why the bogie wheels are so tiddley but it does look rather odd. Perhaps judgement should be reserved til I've seen one with all the trimmings, or even with P4 wheels and closer-to-scale crankpin nuts!

46 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Do they provide loco trailing wheels that touch the rails? Are the scale wheels for P4 track?:jester:

Pity the poor kit makers? I'd still rather having something I made and has a bit of my input, even if it isn't as well painted and finished as something off a Chinese production line

They do, Jol,

If you note, I've put 'scale' in inverted commas, for obvious reasons. 

And, what makes you think (by implication?) that I'm not with you 100% (there, I've used a 'Jesseism') with regard to (much, much) rather having something I've made myself than the product of a far-way factory, no matter how good it is? Why do you think I'm building a 'Semi' rather than just buying one RTR? 

My point (and it's been made before) is that the current RTR selection is to a higher standard than the majority of railway modellers can ever hope to aspire to (and achieve) in their personal model-making. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

It did strike me that it lacks "soul". Perhaps it just needs to gather the patina of use. I hope there are some cab doors in the accessory packs, as they're always closed in photos. 

I understand perfectly well why the bogie wheels are so tiddley but it does look rather odd. Perhaps judgement should be reserved til I've seen one with all the trimmings, or even with P4 wheels and closer-to-scale crankpin nuts!

There are cab doors, plus all the brake rigging and screw shackles in the accessories pack. 

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, chris p bacon said:

Superb!

Rather puts my recent effort to shame.

399.JPG.228086131a2d57a69fffceb17a321835.JPG

400.JPG.df7cdf17297bbef28d9e4fb63b4e1418.JPG

Still being finished with a few bits to add.  A few things could be better, but I'm pleased with it.

Dave,

Your second statement is utter rot!

What is there to be ashamed about? It's lovely work - thanks for posting.

Regards,

Tony.  

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I'm going to say something a bit controversial...      A number of things struck me straight away... One: I cannot see the attraction of the streamlined Coronations. I find them ugly compared to the defrocked versions. (although the sheer size of the prototypes was pretty awesome) .. Two: I am reminded of the sight of a Hornby Dublo Duchess of Atholl running around an oval of track at full speed, with working Walchaerts in full forward gear.  I cannot imagine this would give me a tenth of the joy I'd get watching the valve gear of that  Duchess of Atholl as it tanked around the oval..... Three: It has a perfect finish but I can't get away from the feeling that it looks like it's made of plastic. Oh dear! I'm turning into a belligerent old git!

Edited by Clem
  • Like 5
  • Agree 5

19 minutes ago, Clem said:

It has a perfect finish but I can't get away from the feeling that it looks like it's made of plastic.

I've been of that opinion re Hornby steam-outline models for some time now - somehow, the finish is just too flawless, and I don't get the impression that I'm looking at a machine produced by workshops employing what was essentially glorified blacksmith production methods.

For whatever reason, Bachmann steam outline models have a much more 'painted raw metal' aura - could it be the paint finish?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

It did strike me that it lacks "soul". Perhaps it just needs to gather the patina of use. 

Yes, to me it looks rather 'clinical' and embalmed, as if not a working, living machine.

G.

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

My point (and it's been made before) is that the current RTR selection is to a higher standard than the majority of railway modellers can ever hope to aspire to (and achieve) in their personal model-making. 

Yes, I've heard many people say that and bemoan that they can't make things to the latest RTR commercial/professional standards. It's even often used as an excuse for not bothering with any constructional modelling and just buying RTR.

But who has decreed that people must make things to such lofty standards? Why do they need to match them? Why is it not possibly to enjoy making a model and being happy with the finish one achieves? My plodding model making standards seem to improve with the more I make. And you don't hear of amateur artists throwing in their brushes because the paintings they produce aren't up to the standard of a Constable of one of the top renaissance artists. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

I can't say that I'm that impressed with this one, not the best RTR model I've ever seen. What colour is it supposed to be?

On a similar note to Johns post, when set against the beautifully observed castle come station scene, the little SR tank and carriage up thread look completely plastic to my eye. I have said this myself in the past, steam locomotives are assembled from parts, just like kits, One piece injection mouldings lose something here. The little tank needs bringing to life, to break it up a bit, some subtle weathering, dust, oil, soot and even shinny paint, a crew, coal, lamps etc. Turner level scenics are great but not with lego land trains running about.

Whilst on the subject of weathering, the constant procession of shiny plastic cariage roofs on exhibition layouts, is quite painful on the eyes when the light is in the wrong direction. I may start carrying a can of matt varnish spray in the future and give them a quick squirt as they go by. Though I would admit that a pair of dark glasses may be less offensive.

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, Headstock said:

I can't say that I'm that impressed with this one, not the best RTR model I've ever seen. What colour is it supposed to be?

On a similar note to Johns post, when set against the beautifully observed castle come station scene, the little SR tank and carriage up thread look completely plastic to my eye. I have said this myself in the past, steam locomotives are assembled from parts, just like kits, One piece injection mouldings lose something here. The little tank needs bringing to life, to break it up a bit, some subtle weathering, dust, oil, soot and even shinny paint, a crew, coal, lamps etc. Turner level scenics are great but not with lego land trains running about.

Whilst on the subject of weathering, the constant procession of shiny plastic cariage roofs on exhibition layouts, is quite painful on the eyes when the light is in the wrong direction. I may start carrying a can of matt varnish spray in the future and give them a quick squirt as they go by. Though I would admit that a pair of dark glasses may be less offensive.

They are. Keep up at the back. 

Most modern RTR are assembled from kits of parts rather than from one piece injection mouldings like they were over twenty years ago.

In fact I think the Hornby M7 in the picture is mostly metal. The LSWR 700 Class was. Maybe it's just the paint job, colour or light conditions making it look "plasticky".

Here's how they build RTR models now. probably more parts in the Hornby Terrier than the average white metal kit. Just that they are assembled by young girls rather than middle aged blokes. Psst, I am one myself.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/terriers-and-colletts

Jason

6 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

They are. Keep up at the back. 

Most modern RTR are assembled from kits of parts rather than from one piece injection mouldings like they were over twenty years ago.

In fact I think the Hornby M7 in the picture is mostly metal. The LSWR 700 Class was. Maybe it's just the paint job, colour or light conditions making it look "plasticky".

Here's how they build RTR models now. probably more parts in the Hornby Terrier than the average white metal kit. Just that they are assembled by young girls rather than middle aged blokes. Psst, I am one myself.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/terriers-and-colletts

Jason

That's not building, thats assembling. I will give you this, the young ladies are so good at their job that it the Duchess looks exactly like a one piece moulding. However, they should be complimented on their contribution to hundreds of UK model railways.

In the case of the layout photographed over the page, shame on you middle aged men. The locomotive looks to have been plonked straight out of the box without any evidence of any input from yourselves. As I have suggested, that is probably why it looks plastic. For the hard of hearing down at the front, 'The little tank needs bringing to life, to break it up a bit, some subtle weathering, dust, oil, soot and even shinny paint, a crew, coal, lamps etc. Turner level scenics are great but not with lego land trains running about'.

Edited by Headstock
add full stop.

9 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Interesting point - I'm sure the pacifics on LB are all at around 15% cut-off southbound but nearer 30% northbound?

Oh dear, 

I think I've not observed the prototypes enough here.

All (well, just about all) of LB's big engines have their gear set at 'just-about-forward', whether they're climbing Stoke or descending. The direction they run is largely indiscriminate (though the two Haymarket-based A4s only ever run south on the 'Lizzie').

Now, the true disciple of the 'chosen path' (certainly not me) would have all the locos he'd/she'd made fitted with outside gear arranged so that their gear is adjustable! Thus, it could be altered to suit whether the loco is climbing or descending Stoke (though it's actually flat through LB itself). 

Where will it all end? 

• Like 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1