Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

'The mechanisms  on LB are servos worked from GF Controls drive boards. I find their twin board very easy to use and reliable. It really is a "plug and play" device needing a power supply and an on/off switch. '

And they continue to work perfectly, Tony.

Just one thing to note; as we found, they needed a separate/independent source of power to that provided to control the trains. Otherwise there was interference.

Thank you again.

Regards,

Tony. 

It was my pleasure, even my honour, to have played a small role in your project Tony. I have been very lucky to have had in involvement in a couple of pretty "big name" layouts in the hobby, in Buckingham  and Retford. Having a small part to play in the Little Bytham story adds another.

Thanks for the reminder. Any change in power, such as the throw of a point motor drawing current, fools the servo drive board and can make the servo twitch. A dedicated power supply solves that.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, t-b-g said:

After the visit to Missenden, when we had three "Valours" photographed together in 2, 4 and 7mm scales, the only comment I recall after Tim Watson posted a photo on his thread was that the dome on my 4mm version was wrong! The dome was loose and had just been plonked on for the photo and was never intended to be the finished article.

So I ended up having to defend plonking a wrong dome on for a photo. I won't be doing that again! So any "work in progress" will stay under wraps until it is finished and I am happy with it.

And yet the question I asked was.

I only wondered if there had been a change during the locomotives life, it wasn't written as criticism and I still can't see how it can be taken that way.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

And a wonderful, stirring hymn it is Clive,

Even an atheist like me has sung it with gusto!

Free-standing bell towers? Chester Cathedral also has one, but it's modern (and, the last time I saw it, partly smeared with the daubings of the D stream!).

Regards,

Tony. 

I used to work in Utrecht which also has a cathedral with a free-standing tower. The bit in the middle collapsed leaving the tower isolated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Martin's_Cathedral,_Utrecht

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

And yet the question I asked was.

I only wondered if there had been a change during the locomotives life, it wasn't written as criticism and I still can't see how it can be taken that way.

If I ever do make a criticism of a model, I often do it in terms of a query or question rather than an outright "You got that wrong" and I had jumped to the conclusion that you were doing the same. Many apologies if I misjudged it.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Monday morning school assembly first hymn, To Be A Pilgrim, all five years of my secondary education.

I love that hymn. At our school, it was only sung at the final assembly before the end of term!

• RMweb Premium

5 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

Thanks Tony

I shall have to search around for some 0.4mm nickel silver wire then. I have got some very fine N/S wire and some thicker stuff but not what I need!

Andrew

Andrew, the stuff that comes in Ratio kits is 0.5mm n/s, which might be OK.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Headstock said:

My own version of a Thompson hybrid kit. The solebars, floorpan, sides and ends (the latter with modified profile) are Comet. Underframe details, roof and roof components are MJT, the bogies but not the wheels, in this case are Hornby. The angle iron, queen posts and other trussing are brass L section.

Thompson CK4.jpg

That wouldn't look out of place in the Louvre - what a work of art.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

Thanks Tony

I shall have to search around for some 0.4mm nickel silver wire then. I have got some very fine N/S wire and some thicker stuff but not what I need!

Andrew

I get mine from Wizard models, sold as round point rodding but useful for many other purposes! Of course it has to come a long way to reach you so if you have some handy, that might be better.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Headstock said:

My own version of a Thompson hybrid kit. The solebars, floorpan, sides and ends (the latter with modified profile) are Comet. Underframe details, roof and roof components are MJT, the bogies but not the wheels, in this case are Hornby. The angle iron, queen posts and other trussing are brass L section.

Thompson CK4.jpg

Many years ago I saw a steel LNER design carriage painted in "fake" teak finish on a preserved railway and thought how lovely it looked when it was "just right". Yours captures that perfectly. There is an undefinable "glow" to the finish that is very difficult to capture (I have tried painting teak carriages many times and not got close to that look) but you seem to have the knack!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

A little project just finished off today.

Extended Peco Loco Lift cradles to make handling of the larger locos (Garratts) easier, especially good after weathering is doneDSC05061.JPG.a7d706ef0f3b7640f0b4b02693641c41.JPG

There is more detail of this on the link below:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/42598-Heljan-beyer-garratt/page/99/

Dave

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

40 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I get mine from Wizard models, sold as round point rodding but useful for many other purposes! Of course it has to come a long way to reach you so if you have some handy, that might be better.

I need to make up an order from Wizard so will look out for some on the website  thanks Tony (G).

Andrew

1 hour ago, chris p bacon said:

I'm told that some of mine wouldn't look out of place in the loo......

There must be some superb artwork hanging in loos up and down the country.

1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

Many years ago I saw a steel LNER design carriage painted in "fake" teak finish on a preserved railway and thought how lovely it looked when it was "just right". Yours captures that perfectly. There is an undefinable "glow" to the finish that is very difficult to capture (I have tried painting teak carriages many times and not got close to that look) but you seem to have the knack!

Thanks, Tony,

I seem to use a much brighter base coat than most, something like warning panel yellow. I also mix my own teak, probably about a quarter to a third of the mix is gloss varnish. When representing a true teak carriage, this is built up in three or four washes/ glazes, the fourth wash being a darker weathering layer if required. With a Thompson a thicker single layer of paint is required for the panelling. As a result, a more golden yellow base coat is required. The idea is that the base colour will always shine through and the glazes provide a luminescence to the finish.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, Headstock said:

This is a much earlier version, directly inspired by Tony's 'Elizabethan' set. In this case Comet sides again on to an old Bachmann donor. It utilises Tony's techniques with the re-profiling of the roof etc. I think that I cut out much more of the sides in my version and I cut away the moulded on battery boxes and vac cylinders, leaving the angle iron in situ. All underframe gubbins was then replaced with MJT components. The Bachmann bogies were re wheeled, though they look a little clunky these days and the destination board brackets are little over scale. Both are easily upgraded and are probably worth doing.

Thompson CK E 1232 E.jpg

I think this in a different class to my conversions, Andrew.

I'm glad I was the inspiration, and what you've just shown us is surely that: inspirational!

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Thankyou , Tony , Hazel & I are both well . Hazel has been laid off from work for the foreseeable future , so I am trying to get her to help with the housework ! just joking . I think this thread is vital for us all to keep in touch , it certainly is flying along at the moment . I love seeing other peoples work & would hope that any criticism is given in a helpful & friendly manner , we all need encouragement , especially now .

Regarding the virus there are reports that in an area of York youths are running up to old people & coughing or spitting in their faces .  Words fail me . So , please everyone stay safe & keep posting  

Best Wishes ,

Ray .

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

The provision of the Thompson catering cars is vital for an accurate post-War steam-age ECML depiction. It's a shame Bachmann didn't think to make one in its RTR range.

Indeed, more vital than the five diagrams that they do produce. The ordinary stock was relegated to secondary services and strengtheners by the late ‘50s. I’m sure a RF/ RSP (or RSO) pair would sell well.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Same with GW catering vehicles, mostly Colletts rebuilt by Hawksworth, common on named trains on the region long after they'd been given mk1 stock otherwise.  H do a Collett Restaurant and Comet do suitable replacement sides, but this is not the same as RTR provision.  The LMS and Southern are provided for.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, zr2498 said:

A little project just finished off today.

Extended Peco Loco Lift cradles to make handling of the larger locos (Garratts) easier, especially good after weathering is doneDSC05061.JPG.a7d706ef0f3b7640f0b4b02693641c41.JPG

There is more detail of this on the link below:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/42598-Heljan-beyer-garratt/page/99/

Dave

And here is the standard loco storage system

DSC05066.JPG.b0881d40d6e0c838d369f3ab981e2a76.JPG

More details can be found here:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/152782-locomotive-storage-boxes-with-no-handling/

Dave

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Ray Flintoft said:

Thankyou , Tony , Hazel & I are both well . Hazel has been laid off from work for the foreseeable future , so I am trying to get her to help with the housework ! just joking . I think this thread is vital for us all to keep in touch , it certainly is flying along at the moment . I love seeing other peoples work & would hope that any criticism is given in a helpful & friendly manner , we all need encouragement , especially now .

Regarding the virus there are reports that in an area of York youths are running up to old people & coughing or spitting in their faces .  Words fail me . So , please everyone stay safe & keep posting  

Best Wishes ,

Ray .

Thanks Ray,

I think RMweb is akin to a 'lifeline' in these extreme circumstances.

I've heard reports of such abominable actions, including it being done to the police. It really does beggar belief. What kind of warped mind thinks of such things? 

To just show the other side of the coin, the local spirit here has been fantastic. Younger folk are offering to shop for the oldies/at risk and the local shop (in the next village - we don't have one now) has offered to deliver goods.

As you say, all on here keep safe and please keep on showing us what you're doing.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Indeed, more vital than the five diagrams that they do produce. The ordinary stock was relegated to secondary services and strengtheners by the late ‘50s. I’m sure a RF/ RSP (or RSO) pair would sell well.

Good evening Andy,

I hope all is well with you and yours. 

When I assisted Bachmann with the development of its Thompson carriages, I arrived slightly late in the process (after the range had been decided). Members of the design team borrowed cars I'd made, including catering vehicles. I was told it was a pity that the decision not to include catering cars had been taken. 

From what I could tell, they looked at the prototype numbers built and, obviously, catering cars were the fewest. Equally obviously, for the main trains, at least two or three were needed, but this didn't seem to have been factored-in. A pity? Not really, it gives the likes of us something to build.

When Dave Lewis and I were making the first 'Elizabethan' sets, we arranged the etched sheets to have one each of the one-off cars on them. From memory, I think we got eight carriages (16 sides) on a sheet. So, there was one BG, one FK (with ladies' retiring room), one RF, one RSO and four SKs. Guess what? The one-offs sold like mad, but the much-more-numerous SKs hardly moved. Folk weren't building the train! They liked the one-offs. In the end the artwork was altered to give two each of the singular ones - there were more than enough half sheets of SKs left!

Later on, the other types were produced (including the SK with ladies' retiring room and the Buffet - not in the 'Lizzie' from 1957). 

The Mk.1 cars to make up the Aberdeen portion of the 'LIzzie' came from Dave's own Mk.1 SP range.

317032371_Trains06TheElizabethan.jpg.6090e0b465a6825c76b9f2cb77888530.jpg

1170296384_SouthernPrideBachmannTKwithLadiesRetiringRoom.jpg.62a573f94f21b0f7bbbd12a2201a4864.jpg

As mentioned, the TK (later SK) with ladies' retiring room came later' Again, this is a Southern Pride/Bachann meld I made for service in 'The Heart of Midlothian'. 

1834190310_ThompsonSK.jpg.0cfbdfbcc9da3d594991fbbae0bc670c.jpg

One modification was to take the PV sides and produce an ordinary Thompson TK/SK by the same process. All I did was to snip off the solebar-covering skirts (tinsnips and file) and add roof ventilators (not only are the Bachmann ones too small, they're also moulded down the centre line of the carriage, not the compartments as they should be. Yet one still sees unaltered original Bachmann Thompsons running on layouts!). Pictures show the occasional non-PV SK in the 'Lizzie', which is what I've done. One advantage was that I didn't have to change the bogies, though I did change the wheels.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point
  • Like 19