Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

2 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Thread drift, but have you asked Danny, Bill?   He did rerelease the GER horsebox a few years ago and might still have some.

Thanks Jonathan, good idea.  I'll get out the quill pen.  Bill

2 hours ago, bbishop said:

Arthur, thank you for the list.  In 1912 there was a transfer leaving Addison Road at 7:09am to the LSWR.  We are replicating it on our model of Southwark Bridge.  Two factors come into play.  There were a number of racecourses on the LSWR (Hurst Park, Sandown Park, Kempton Park, Ascot, Epsom at a pinch) and our model has a horse dock so the nags can have their exercise.  This gives the North Yard operator plenty of work shunting horseboxes across to the south side to become head traffic on Hampton Court trains for the Hurst Park races. 

We have a fair number of horseboxes, but no GER, and of course many of the nags would travel from Newmarket.  Well maybe not for Hurst Park, which was a bit of a bumper track, but there could always be racing at Ascot tomorrow.  

Bill

If anyone were to fancy viewing the Southwark Bridge videos, they can be found on the Scalefour website, at Society shows | Scaleforum | 2020 Retrospective | 2020 Show Pages | Southwark Bridge

Happy viewing.  Bill

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, MJI said:

I asked straight away and am already in the queue!

As mentioned, there are still about 40 miscellaneous wagons (built from kits) to be sold. 

A few folk have expressed an interest already (one who's dropped out); they're ahead of you, just. 

I'm sorry to appear indolent, but I've decided not to bother sorting any more of the wagons out and selling them individually. They'll go as a job lot, or not at all. I'll take an overall picture and ask a fiver each (the cattle wagons have already sold, for a quid each more). They're worth a fiver each for the wheels alone. 

Quite honestly, I don't know what some of the wagons are. 

Then, it'll be first come, first served. That is, he/she who asked first will be given first refusal, and so on.................

Kind regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I hope this doesn't disappoint too many, but all the wagons mentioned have gone.

A friend emailed me and has taken the lot! He wasn't sure to begin with, but he's transferred funds and that was that. 

The first in the queue expressed an interest in some, and I took a picture for him, but he declined. My friend was second.

He's also bought all the Blacksmith clerestory coach kits. All of this is fantastic for me - mass sales, and he'll collect them all personally, so no postage to bother about. 

I've tried to keep the correct chronology, with expressions of interest coming in by phone, email and PMs, so I hope no one feels 'annoyed'. I have no wish for a repetition of what happened last time (which, I admit, was down to a fault of mine).

I'll be checking through the remaining locos and posting pictures before long.

Many thanks once more to all those who've bought the items so far. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

12 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

A friend emailed me and has taken the lot! He wasn't sure to begin with, but he's transferred funds and that was that. 

That is good news. Though some would be nice to have, I'm glad that they have all gone to a 'good home', and that the previous owner's family have got something out of it.

Lloyd

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a question, if I may?

472155023_28XXlargetender.jpg.74af780e898819bf225c65a9859bb1fd.jpg

Were any 28XXs ever attached to a large tender, as seen here?  

This is how the loco looked when I took it out of its box. 

Since my knowledge of matters GWR is scratchy at best, I thought I'd ask the question. 

There was, however, a spare tender in the collection. a smaller one.

97775169_28XXsmalltender.jpg.51df9c771945db150317ac7f933fb92f.jpg

I rather fancy the tenders must have got swapped around, and this looks far more-natural. 

It's built from a K's kit, though nothing of the mechanism is K's. It actually runs very, very well (yes, I know the worm can be seen, but this locos is over 40 years old!) and pulls anything hung behind it. 

A couple of good friends are visiting tomorrow, both of whom are GWR modellers, so they'll be getting 1st refusal on the locos/stock which are left. Don't worry, they're not queue-jumpers - the moment they got wind of this collection, they expressed an interest. 

If neither wants this, I'll be asking £50.00 for it.

I'll let all know by tomorrow evening. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I have a question, if I may?

472155023_28XXlargetender.jpg.74af780e898819bf225c65a9859bb1fd.jpg

Were any 28XXs ever attached to a large tender, as seen here?  

This is how the loco looked when I took it out of its box. 

Since my knowledge of matters GWR is scratchy at best, I thought I'd ask the question. 

There was, however, a spare tender in the collection. a smaller one.

97775169_28XXsmalltender.jpg.51df9c771945db150317ac7f933fb92f.jpg

I rather fancy the tenders must have got swapped around, and this looks far more-natural. 

It's built from a K's kit, though nothing of the mechanism is K's. It actually runs very, very well (yes, I know the worm can be seen, but this locos is over 40 years old!) and pulls anything hung behind it. 

A couple of good friends are visiting tomorrow, both of whom are GWR modellers, so they'll be getting 1st refusal on the locos/stock which are left. Don't worry, they're not queue-jumpers - the moment they got wind of this collection, they expressed an interest. 

If neither wants this, I'll be asking £50.00 for it.

I'll let all know by tomorrow evening. 

I believe 4000 gal tenders behind 28xxs were not unknown but very, very rare. The 3500 gal version is correct and as you say looks right. 

3802 (I think) runs with a 4000 gal in preservation (probably for very good practical reasons) but, to me, it looks all wrong.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

41 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

I believe 4000 gal tenders behind 28xxs were not unknown but very, very rare. The 3500 gal version is correct and as you say looks right. 

3802 (I think) runs with a 4000 gal in preservation (probably for very good practical reasons) but, to me, it looks all wrong.

It became common in the 1960's when the boundary changes put the northern based ex GWR locos under the LMR who used 4,000 gallon tenders from withdrawn engines behind the 28/38XX.

Mike Wiltshire

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Thanks to all for letting me know of the safe arrival of their purchases. All are very pleased, even if one of the kits had some bits missing.

I try to check that all are complete, but it's not always clear. 

What is clear is the question; why do folk open kits' boxes and then lose bits and/or the instructions? There are so many I've come across. Why not open them, check, and then build them, or put them away, complete, for another time?

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

It does. The tender came from Swindon Works.

http://www.ten.rhrp.org.uk/tens/TenderInfo.asp?Ref=12

I think there is a new 3500 gallon tender being built for it.

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Old?

I bought some glue in a hardware store in Market Harborough today and was asked if I was over 25! 

I was wearing a mask. 

Regards,

Tony. 

You should have said you were part of a protest group and were about to glue yourself to the M25>

ArthurK

• Like 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Old?

I bought some glue in a hardware store in Market Harborough today and was asked if I was over 25! 

I was wearing a mask. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Possibly new staff member and being observed for training. 

• Funny 1

Re; tenders behind Western 38's, fired quite a few in their twilight years in the 60's. Never met one with a 4000 gal tender. Not saying it never happened just I never saw it. Neither do I believe that the LMR did tender swaps to keep 38's running, they had loads of class 8's for which they had easy access to spares. I think that is railfan myth. A 38 was a brilliant freight loco but coming from 84C I would say that would'nt I:boast:.

Now the 47's did run with 4000 gal tenders. And some were shedded up in the north of the old WR territory.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1