Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

10 minutes ago, gr.king said:

Nice when somebody shows so little faith in your creative modelling skills isn't it?

Why do it that way? Presumably because there isn't yet any known law to say that you can't.

I quite enjoy it at times when others think I'm wrong or insane.  Is that most of the time?

Graeme,

Isn't it a fact that those who complain the most, those who say you should do it this way, or like this, and ask why you've made something in such a way, and why it's wrong, and why it should be better, more realistic and more accurate, and why you should have used different materials, and so many other criticisms, when asked to show what they've made, you can't see their ar$es for dust?!

Thank goodness this thread contains posts from nobody like those! 

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Yeah but no but yeah but...

That's certainly true of the prototype of course, Mike, but in model form we have - at the very least - the frames, motor, gears, wheels, coupling rods and (sometimes) motion, brake gear and other bits. I've always thought of those, collectively, as the chassis (in the way that you could buy a whitemetal body kit to fit a Jinty chassis).

The late Malcolm Crawley used to say, in his non PC way, that cars, radios and women have chassis, locos have frames.

For him, saying a loco, model or otherwise, had a chassis was about as bad as using "train line" or "train station".

He could not see why we would use the wrong terms when perfectly good ones were available for use.

His locos had frames and so do mine. A set of wheeled frames, with motor and pick ups is a mechanism.

Not that it matters what we call things at all but I used to really enjoy his reaction when we were out at a show and somebody would ask how he had built the chassis. "I didn't! It doesn't have one!"

Edited by t-b-g
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Clive,

it's part of an ever increasing social trend - rather like football supporters - where people believe they know how things should be done, without actually having the experience of actually doing it.

Jol

As the old saying goes, "Empty vessels make the most noise".

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Time for one of these I think! Merry Christmas everyone and a great modelling 2020.

393038418_92212BrickKiln23Dec09a.jpeg.434a654a9328c6e75a4822b8b2bcda62.jpeg

Looking at this photo underlines to me (again) how time flies. It was taken at Christmas 2008. 92212 was taken out of service for overhaul shortly after. Since then it has completed another period in service and has just been withdrawn for overhaul once more.

(Please be aware this was taken 'inside the fence' and I had a full MHR PTS. Just for good measure the loco crew knew I would be there.).

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

The late Malcolm Crawley used to say, in his non PC way, that cars, radios and women have chassis, locos have frames.

For him, saying a loco, model or otherwise, had a chassis was about as bad as using "train line" or "train station".

He could not see why we would use the wrong terms when perfectly good ones were available for use.

His locos had frames and so do mine. A set of wheeled frames, with motor and pick ups is a mechanism.

Not that it matters what we call things at all but I used to really enjoy his reaction when we were out at a show and somebody would ask how he had built the chassis. "I didn't! It doesn't have one!"

Well Tony, I never dared argue with Malcolm about work or about model railways and I'm not going to start now! Notwithstanding, I think that your "mechanism" is synonymous with my "chassis" *, both of which include a set of frames.

Perhaps we could start another little excursion on the difference between a locomotive and an engine...

* Perhaps "mechanism" was a little more upmarket than "chassis" - Hornby-Dublo rather than Tri-ang, or Model Railway News rather than the Modeller. There, having thrown that little pebble into the pond I'll sit back and watch where the ripples go.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I think the best I have had from Mr Authority at a show was being told repeatedly that the demilitarised Airfix figure pushing  his lawn mower made from scrap bits of plastic and microstrip was a kit and where did I get it from , because there was no way I had built it.

Yep, I've had a lot of "where do you buy/get that/those from?" questions at exhibitions. And when you explain that it is made from bits of card, plastic and wire, they turn and walk off, either disbelieving you or not interested in how to make one themselves.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Clive,

it's part of an ever increasing social trend - rather like football supporters - where people believe they know how things should be done, without actually having the experience of actually doing it.

Jol

It also seems to be a growing trend that people can't comprehend someone actually making something, rather than purchase  it ready built.

• Agree 4

6 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Notwithstanding, I think that your "mechanism" is synonymous with my "chassis" *, both of which include a set of frames.

Maybe. I'm probably wrong but I was always under the impression that the 'frames' were a non-mobile part of the loco construction (side plates and spacers?), whereas the 'chassis' (in modelling terms) was the frames with motor, gear drive chain and wheels fitted, and could run on it's own without a body on top.  Such is my ignorance.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

2 hours ago, dibateg said:

Lovely picture of 60911 at Amersham, and notice the black and I presume LM lamps. I mixed lamps on a loco on Charwelton once, one black, one white. An 'authority' at a show said 'That wouldn't have happened'. I had copied it from a photograph......

Have a great Xmas everyone and all the best for your modelling endeavours in 2020.

Tony

Amazing how different people spot different things in photos. I completely missed the black lamps as I was much more focused on the stock. The set is the ex-Master Cutler, easily identified by the BCK, FO, RF (probably running unclassed) at the London end then what looks like a Gresley open second, formerly third. Unfortunately, I don't have the GC London Extension carriage workings for Winter 1958-9. Disappointingly, they are specifically stated to have been excluded from the LMR Midland Lines book, of which I have a copy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

I seem to recall that Malcolm Crawley also objected to LNER carriages being called coaches.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

13 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

He also painted and slightly weathered this......................

2135597594_OGauge9F.jpg.8bfd1a3c8d7874d122c85fa5f07ed922.jpg

Painted on commission, after the owner built it from an MOK kit. We both thought it rides a little high at the front end.

Impressive nonetheless. 

The 9F looks as though it's about to take off. Perhaps the fireman, having called "Vee One", has just called "Rotate"?

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

I seem to recall that Malcolm Crawley also objected to LNER carriages being called coaches.

He did. For many years he wouldn't join the LNER Coach Association on the grounds that it was named wrongly. He was happy with "car" as an abbreviation but according to him, the LNER didn't use coaches to carry its passengers on the railway. It had carriage working diagrams, carriage shops etc. not coach!

I did once see an official document which referred to non passenger coaching stock and tried to argue the case but he decided that vehicles that didn't carry passengers were not admissible as evidence!

Edited by t-b-g
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

He did. For many years he wouldn't join the LNER Coach Association on the grounds that it was named wrongly. He was happy with "car" as an abbreviation but according to him, the LNER didn't use coaches to carry its passengers on the railway. It had carriage working diagrams, carriage shops etc. not coach!

So the people working in the carriage shops weren't coachbuilders?

• Like 4
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

So the people working in the carriage shops weren't coachbuilders?

On LT we had Cars not carriages and we never had Coachbuilders but we did have Bodymakers.

PS. ironically we had Coachpainters.

When I was a Tech One at Neasden the Coachpainter (Joe Dixon aged 73 & too good to be allowed to retire) 

was showing me a Draughts Board that he had hand painted, I said thats unbelievable (Meaning it was amazing) he was furious that I should imply he was lying and picked me up by my jacket lapels ,all 14 stone of me. I quickly made it clear that he had misunderstood my remark and as the Depot engineer was not in I was actually in charge and it was a tad embarrassing.:D

Also I think  t-b-g might remember when he was exhibiting Tickhill & Wirksworth at a show a Gentleman told Ken Hill that Runner Beans shouldn't be in the garden of the Station Masters house as it was modelled in 1911 and they weren't introduced to the UK until 1912. I may have the actual years wrong but I thought at the time thank goodness it's Ken and not his father an ex-LMS driver or said gent might be laying down.As it was Kens blood pressure had increased significantly.

Edited by CUTLER2579
  • Like 5
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Denbridge said:

It also seems to be a growing trend that people can't comprehend someone actually making something, rather than purchase  it ready built.

I've come across this on many occasions.....................

The incredulity of one guy on seeing my making of a B17 from a kit. 'Hornby makes one of those, so why bother?' His actual asking of the question led me to the conclusion that he'd never understand why, no matter how I answered. 

Or, on seeing a loco I'd scratch-built running on a layout being asked 'Whose is it - Hornbachheldap?' Then the questioner being entirely mystified by my answer of 'Mine'. 

There's also the (compliment?) of being told 'I could never make anything like that. You must have endless patience'. Actually, I don't. My patience-span is very short; I can't wait to get one model finished and then get on with the next one!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Clive,

Jol

At least making statements like that isn't as dangerous as when one young man who told my good lady that she didn't know how to make a sandwich at our little show in Gildersome.  

Also when we took Green Ayre to Lancaster we had a very puzzled young Chinese lad who spent ages looking for the computer that was controlling the layout. He then got the chance to actually control a loco, that I was fettling, with an old H & M Duette and was amazed.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, grahame said:

Maybe. I'm probably wrong but I was always under the impression that the 'frames' were a non-mobile part of the loco construction (side plates and spacers?), whereas the 'chassis' (in modelling terms) was the frames with motor, gear drive chain and wheels fitted, and could run on it's own without a body on top.  Such is my ignorance.

Not ignorant at all Grahame,

My OED defines 'chassis' as 'Base-frame of gun-carriage, motor car, etc.' From the 'etc' might we infer locomotive as well? I don't see why not.

As far as I'm concerned (and I've never been an employee of the railways), when I build a loco, I start by assembling the frames. By the time I've got the motor/gearbox in place, plus the wheels, pick-ups and rods on (and it works) it's then definitely a chassis. The frames (as the dictionary describes) are the base. 'Frames' is plural, whereas the chassis is a singular entity, so describing the full working part of a (model) loco as a chassis makes much more sense to me. The frames by themselves would just not 'work', as you describe. 

I suppose it's down to semantics. With regards to all the loco kit instructions I've ever read (and that's not many, to be fair), without fail they split into two - chassis construction and body construction. They might suggest assembling the frames as a first bit of advice, but then go on to describe how to make a 'running chassis', never a 'running set of frames'.

RTR manufacturers always state 'How to separate body from chassis' in their instructions.

Anyway, how would the two pictures below be described?

1925771022_H1601.jpg.e1c01b5fbe1d7e673d45b8c86ba6b9ff.jpg

Frames? I think so. 

920335319_H1616.jpg.ac2b6ea1a8093b027b3dec56699e45fe.jpg

Still just frames? I think not. This is a chassis; much more than a set of frames. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 6

3 hours ago, Denbridge said:

I assume their argument regarding freight stock would be "if a manufacturer doesn't make a wagon then just have the excuse that it wasn't needed to run on the particular day being modelled". I have the opposite thought, I find a photo and work out how to make the vehicles in the train to make something interesting (and unique).

The following have been posted on another thread before but as I am particularly chuffed with the results I will post them here. Suffice to say that, apart from the lime wagons, the weathering is not my work and significantly adds to the finished product.

PSA lime wagons from Bachmann 45 ton tank

1678325879_PSAwagons.jpeg.c2f73071fb82d3d8ea41397e5c7b8f22.jpeg

1852370896_PSAwagonsfinished.jpg.55fdee730995f63b70827283f44a2f56.jpg

VTG slurry tank from Dapol silver bullet:

635721740_SilverBulletandVTGSlurryTank(reduced).jpg.04babe01e55fd02268bf7626280f0702.jpg

ECC TDA from Bachmann 100 tonne tank

859090671_TDAbeforeandafter.jpg.63cf7a5e03d8e35d50aa669823ec83e0.jpg

The two slurry tanks together after weathering

970672842_Slurrytanks(1).jpg.3f421786d9a76d6d0221b8a04b687a1d.jpg

Molasses tank

938411173_Molassestankbits(reduced).jpg.4fcb71577a34623ce310b363a8cb5ad0.jpg

1210054544_Molassestank(reduced).jpg.c71bf0c16daa8b1db2b5e08e2495c62a.jpg

773192185_Molassestankcomplete(1).jpg.a4020a011480e692fcf43fa34468593e.jpg

Happy modelling to you all.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

Chassis or frames?

The late (great) Malcolm Crawley has been mentioned on here recently.

He once took me to task for not assembling the 'frames' correctly on the London Road Models K2 I was building (a kit he'd designed). When I pointed it out to him that the 'chassis' I'd made had to be modified by my having to make new coupling rods (because the etched ones supplied didn't match the bearing holes in the frames), he just announced in his inimitable way that 'You're not making it properly. If you'd have followed my instructions it would have worked!'. 

As chance would have it, I was at a Retford operating day when his (EM) K2 was running. On his set of 'frames', it wobbled and waddled along, finally capsizing before completing a full circuit. I'm too nasty a person not to have responded by telling him 'My K2 (in OO), the 'chassis' of which I've altered in order to get it to work as I insist, has run for hours and hours on Stoke Summit and Charwelton (and continues to run on LB) absolutely perfectly and has never derailed'. 

His response was typical! 

Nonetheless, a great man and a great modeller. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

Time for one of these I think! Merry Christmas everyone and a great modelling 2020.

393038418_92212BrickKiln23Dec09a.jpeg.434a654a9328c6e75a4822b8b2bcda62.jpeg

Looking at this photo underlines to me (again) how time flies. It was taken at Christmas 2008. 92212 was taken out of service for overhaul shortly after. Since then it has completed another period in service and has just been withdrawn for overhaul once more.

(Please be aware this was taken 'inside the fence' and I had a full MHR PTS. Just for good measure the loco crew knew I would be there.).

Hi  nice photo I know the location very well, I also held a PTS and Lineside photography permit on the Mid Hants railway for about 4 years 2005 until

about 2009.

I use to sell card mounted photos taken on the line in their main shop at Alresford Station and half the sales monies went to the railway.

Happy memories 

Merry Christmas to you and all RMweb members.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
Spelling mistake
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1