Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

The truth is that model railways has always secretly been a hobby about shopping. The purchase is what has provided that drug like buzz and addiction. Back in the day its participants bought hundreds of kits that they intended to start building next year but never quite got around to. This has been very fortunate for the likes of myself, as it has helped keep me supplied with material long after the original manufactures have ceased to exist. Nowadays, the hobby's participants buy hundreds of RTR locomotives instead. They are commonly stored in their boxes, pending the start of construction of that dream layout. Not that much has changed.

Edited by Headstock
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

My problem has always been painting and lining.

Slowly getting better. And now I think just about acceptable.

Decent surface, many primers are too coarse, I am currently trialling a Tamaya product.

Applying paint, only been getting good results since I gave up on cheap airbrushes and bought an Iwata.

Lining aghhhh!!!!!

Still the worse bit. Tend to use ModelMasters mainly now as Pressfix is difficult to see through. Ok though on choc cream, but blue grey, pass the ModelMasters, but that one thin white line transforms the livery from toy to model like nothing else.

I did try a lining pen, ended up strioping and repainting, I think I need lessons on them, Now only use for window frames.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

It is an unpalatable fact to many, but ........ there is a clear difference between playing with trains and modelling.

It is much akin to the difference between those who try, try again, persevere and ultimately achieve a level of skill that satisfies them; and those who can't, won't and don't have the time.

There will undoubtedly be the usual outcry - but it's a truism, nonetheless.

John Isherwood.

Hi John

I enjoy doing both. :good:

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

9 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

However, can't you just hear?..........'I can't do it' (probably meaning won't), 'I don't have the skills', 'I'll mess it up', 'I'll devalue it', 'I prefer others to do it for me', 'It cost an awful lot of money' and on and on........

Are there any more 'excuses'?

Regards,

Tony.  

I could add the 'I'll get around to it eventually' excuse, but some of the best modellers I know have stashes so impressive a Dr Jones might soon pay a visit!

However, the only way one can learn is by giving things a go-I cannot for the life of me renumber a RTR locomotive as I type this. However, I have some spare bodies of locomotives and rollingstock here to give it an attempt shortly, because the only way I'm going to learn it is by making mistakes along the way and actually learning. Something else good to have is a more experienced modelling friend who will help to guide you along the way-even the most experienced modeller was once a novice.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 69843 said:

I could add the 'I'll get around to it eventually' excuse, but some of the best modellers I know have stashes so impressive a Dr Jones might soon pay a visit!

However, the only way one can learn is by giving things a go-I cannot for the life of me renumber a RTR locomotive as I type this. However, I have some spare bodies of locomotives and rollingstock here to give it an attempt shortly, because the only way I'm going to learn it is by making mistakes along the way and actually learning. Something else good to have is a more experienced modelling friend who will help to guide you along the way-even the most experienced modeller was once a novice.

At least you have the right attitude, and you will succeed.

When our son, Tom, was learning about how to model railways (note the use of 'model' as a verb), I gave him some ancient Tri-ang/Hornby models which I had in a box (I think they were once donated to a school model railway project, but we aspired to greater things). He used them as guinea pigs - scraping off/removing original brandings, renumbering, repainting in some cases and all round improvements. He honed his skills on them. The models' worth were in the learning processes. There's still a Tri-ang Britannia body somewhere underneath LB which has had so many alterations/repaints from years ago as to make it actually bigger! It's the learning process which is vital, not the end result. 

Why others don't take a similar path puzzles me. 

Your point about having 'a more experienced modelling friend who will help' is very valid. I've been the recipient of that in the past, and it's the least I can do to 'carry on the tradition'. At least one friend (who continuously puts barriers up between himself and modelling) is now taking notes, or actually watches what I do. He'll never be a 'modeller' in my book, but nobody is too old to learn. And, if enjoyment is derived from the hobby by employing professional modellers, then that has merit. There is also great merit in doing research. 

It's a testament to those who I've helped (the youngest at the time, 14), that now they no longer need my assistance in the main. That says more about their ability to learn, rather than my ability to teach. I commend them, wherever in the world they are. They know who I mean. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Regarding an ‘experienced modelling friend’ that’s what model railway clubs are all about. At the moment we have at our club two mature gentlemen who are both new to the hobby and they are soaking up so much information. It’s incredible how ignorant (as in lacking knowledge ) are but are both so enthusiastic when they pick up even a small morsal of information. One of them is an excellent wood worker and he is helping out with baseboard construction and the other is an accomplished artist and produced so excellent back scenes. The one who is an artist gave us a demonstration on painting last week so we all picked something up, even from a newbie. 

I’m not sure either will end up building top end brass loco kits but they are so willing to learn, it’s exhausting at times. ‘Why are you doing that? How can I do this?’  

Any way better get up Sydney’s (in laws dog, pictured in earlier post) had a sleep over and is going to want a walk.

hope you all get some modelling done over the weekend. I don’t think I’m going to.

regards Robert

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Andrew,

I don't think I could agree more with anything you've just said........

'The production of variants and the customization of models, is a perfect opportunity for the modeller to embrace railway modelling as a creative hobby.'

But will the 'modeller' actually do it? Some do (wonderfully well), and the results appear on here.

However, can't you just hear?..........'I can't do it' (probably meaning won't), 'I don't have the skills', 'I'll mess it up', 'I'll devalue it', 'I prefer others to do it for me', 'It cost an awful lot of money' and on and on........

Are there any more 'excuses'?

Regards,

Tony.  

TBH, whilst I do "mess around" with r-t-r locos, I think I've become more timid about the extent of work than I once was unless they come in unlined black. What I, and no doubt others, find most daunting is the possibility of ruining the excellent finish.

Beyond the perennial gripes about the "wrong" shade of GWR green, the quality of paint and lining nowadays (especially from Hornby) far exceeds anything I have either the ability or the equipment to replicate if I were to make a pig's ear of it. 

A hefty dose of weathering has got me off the hook a couple of times, though.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

TBH, whilst I do "mess around" with r-t-r locos, I think I've become more timid about the extent of work than I once was unless they come in unlined black. What I, and no doubt others, find most daunting is the possibility of ruining the excellent finish.

Beyond the perennial gripes about the "wrong" shade of GWR green, the quality of paint and lining nowadays (especially from Hornby) far exceeds anything I have either the ability or the equipment to replicate if I were to make a pig's ear of it. 

A hefty dose of weathering has got me off the hook a couple of times, though.

John

Other barriers are cost of rtf these days and if one is doing an extensive conversion and something goes drastically wrong the unavailability of a replacement part.

Realy must get on,

regards Robert

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Other barriers are cost of rtf these days and if one is doing an extensive conversion and something goes drastically wrong the unavailability of a replacement part.

Realy must get on,

regards Robert

Ever was it thus. In my youth I had to save to buy a Triang Hornby 2P.  I then started to modify it. If I had made a mess of it I didn't have a clue if I could get replacement items..and if I did could I afford them?

I still have it somewhere..worthless as I have modified it..but worth a pile of gold in setting me off in my modelling development.

Baz

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 69843 said:

I’ve become very comfortable with renumbering/renaming RTR locomotives and rolling stock, it is one of those things that, once you take the plunge, you find it a lot easier than you feared!  Seriously, give it a go!

I built a couple of those Dapol (former Airfix) kits to practice on first... a 9F and a Battle-of-Britain.  It doesn’t matter that they are a bit crude, because these are just test beds for decorating.  I have used them to become familiar with HMRS, Fox, Railtec and Model Masters products.  I still have them, and will use them again as I have recently acquired an airbrush and will try it on them first before working on more cherished loco’s.  I just need to build a suitably ventilated workstation first (yes, when I get a round tuit...)

I have found that you don’t need an airbrush for touch-up painting of small areas associated with basic lettering and numbering, a good quality brush and well-mixed paint are fine.  If you are particularly careful when removing the original lettering, you may not even need to touch anything up.  A final coat of Matt or satin varnish over the renumbered cab or tender side makes all the difference.

The majority of my RTR locomotives now have correct numbers and shed codes for the time and place modelled.  As I also use the last two digits of the locomotive number as the DCC address, a careful choice of renumber also allows me to ensure that the last two digits are unique for each loco on my layout.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Ever was it thus. In my youth I had to save to buy a Triang Hornby 2P.  I then started to modify it. If I had made a mess of it I didn't have a clue if I could get replacement items..and if I did could I afford them?

I still have it somewhere..worthless as I have modified it..but worth a pile of gold in setting me off in my modelling development.

Baz

2 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Baz

I do think the price of rtf has gone up dramatically in the last couple of years. On my modelling table I have two  virtually identical Dutch N gauge  locos. Bought three years apart, one cost 120 Euros and the other 180Euros. Same shop same spec . 

Regards Robert

Sydney’s whining at door!!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 69843 said:

I cannot for the life of me renumber a RTR locomotive as I type this. However, I have some spare bodies of locomotives and rollingstock here to give it an attempt shortly, because the only way I'm going to learn it is by making mistakes along the way and actually learning. Something else good to have is a more experienced modelling friend

I might be able to help. Let me know.

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, polybear said:

That's not a box of kits.

It's a pension fund.

Only if there enough people interested in buying the stuff.

Who knows what the future demographics of the model railway hobby will be. Looking at the "leading lights" in DEMU, over half of us have retired. We all know that the majority model the trains they know and understand so will unmade kits of an era that is alien to most modellers be wanted.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I started my detailing up on Lima and Hornby Diesels, adding metal handrails and rebuilding a tatty S/H Hornby 47 into a WR pet loco (one of the river named ones).

Wagons, Airfix of course, lots of minerals and cements.

Ratio were a good basis for learning coaches.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Only if there enough people interested in buying the stuff.

Who knows what the future demographics of the model railway hobby will be. Looking at the "leading lights" in DEMU, over half of us have retired. We all know that the majority model the trains they know and understand so will unmade kits of an era that is alien to most modellers be wanted.

You may have a point. A dealer at a recent swapmeet I attended had a box of unbuilt D&S that almost warranted a security guard judging by the asking prices. I don't think he sold more than a couple, if that. Judging from his valuations of whitemetal wagon kits, I should dig out and sell my unopened LNER Pigeon van kit.... 

There was one I was almost tempted to purchase - something I'm interested in and, at £45, almost the cheapest in the lot but I decided it was still too much for something that would most likely still be in my stash when my (probably, and justifiably, horrified) executor eventually opens the cupboard.:triniti:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

So while we're on the 'how to do this...' subject, anyone know how to completely rebuild an RTR loco cab? I figure brass would be suitable, because my first attempt with plasticard was a bit flimsy for my liking. I'm just not sure what tools are needed to cut brass and how to attach it to plastic. If anyone could help give information, that would be lovely. Thanks.

17 minutes ago, TrainMan2001 said:

So while we're on the 'how to do this...' subject, anyone know how to completely rebuild an RTR loco cab? I figure brass would be suitable, because my first attempt with plasticard was a bit flimsy for my liking. I'm just not sure what tools are needed to cut brass and how to attach it to plastic. If anyone could help give information, that would be lovely. Thanks.

Any shots of what needs to be done? It might be a plastic patch could work. If there are curves brass might lend itself to the job. As for sticking the two together, there are various glues which can work depending on flexibility and setting time.