Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

59 minutes ago, richbrummitt said:

I agree. I've got about this far with a 2mm kit and just learned that I need to check how many sets of truss bars it has before I finish it, whenever that might be. Someone kindly provided a photo of one on loan to the GW so it's more justifiable now. I can't remember whose kit it is off hand but should have the instructions filed if you're interested in making any more and would like the details. 

I was planning for the Boplate being a one off. However, if there is a kit I'd be interested in building a few more and therefore would be most grateful for any information you could provide.

Many thanks.

1 hour ago, richbrummitt said:

I agree. I've got about this far with a 2mm kit and just learned that I need to check how many sets of truss bars it has before I finish it, whenever that might be. Someone kindly provided a photo of one on loan to the GW so it's more justifiable now. I can't remember whose kit it is off hand but should have the instructions filed if you're interested in making any more and would like the details. 

With regard to the appearance of this type of Boplates on the GW, There was a daily steel train that ran from the North East to South Wales via the GC both before and after WW2

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Except the eagle eyed Gee spotted that the points were set for the 0-6-0 to go out over the crossover and there is a hint of the signal for the line the 0-6-0 is on being cleared. It is sort of half up so either just being cleared or put back to danger or it doesn't work at all. Neither loco has lamps (usually worth a comment from TW) so we don't know if they are on trains or just standing about waiting for somebody to lamp them up.

I only mentioned it to illustrate a point I was trying to get across that we all have things that matter to us and things that don't. Seeing layouts and trains photographed in situations which couldn't or shouldn't happen on the real railway is something that sticks out like a sore thumb to me but even then, I would never say that it is unacceptable as I know it matters little to many.

What may be "unacceptable" to some could be a "so what" matter to others.

'Neither loco has lamps (usually worth a comment from TW)'

The Southern tended to use discs, not lamps, but 'so what?'

Regards,

Tony. 

• RMweb Gold

Beautiful.

I always thought the original bridge looked fine as a background feature.  The new one though is superb and the bridge is no longer a background feature.

Top marks to Jamie and Dave.

• Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the kind and gracious words Tony.  The pictures show what a great job David has done with some superb painting and weathering.  I should point out that he has also improved considerably  on my original etch and has added details that I hadn't included such as the smoke delector plates. It does look good and it was a pleasure to be involved.  Now I just have to get my act into gear and try to create an etch for a Midland 3F with 6' drivers that was photographed at Green Ayre in about 1922. I've not done any etches like that so it will be a journey of discovery.

Jamie

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

14 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Thanks for the kind and gracious words Tony.  The pictures show what a great job David has done with some superb painting and weathering.  I should point out that he has also improved considerably  on my original etch and has added details that I hadn't included such as the smoke delector plates. It does look good and it was a pleasure to be involved.  Now I just have to get my act into gear and try to create an etch for a Midland 3F with 6' drivers that was photographed at Green Ayre in about 1922. I've not done any etches like that so it will be a journey of discovery.

Jamie

There were 3 of them, IIRC, produced for fast fish traffic. The centre wheel splashers were rectangular, instead of the usual curves.

A friend of mine modified a Triang Deeley 3F to represent one of these locos, more years ago than I care to remember - 40-45 years have passed since then...

Mark

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Atso said:

I was planning for the Boplate being a one off. However, if there is a kit I'd be interested in building a few more and therefore would be most grateful for any information you could provide.

Many thanks.

If we are talking about the NER B9 boplate then it is one of Bob Jones's Fence Houses Model Foundry kits Steve. 

Simon

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Two more shots of the new bridge...............

868557664_MGNRbridge21.jpg.97b21d3771ee344e31e0573eb3f4607c.jpg

This is similar to a P H Wells' shot, taken on the last day of the line in 1959.

401041248_MGNRbridge28.jpg.b45931a2e75ba040396bf995f58921ac.jpg

Recalling an earlier time, but what to do with the offstage scene.........? 

I really like that first shot, it’s as if I’m standing in your back yard again having a coffee and one of those stress reliever sticks, can’t wait till I’m there again, how I miss it. 

• Like 5

What a difference the new bridge makes!  The old one didn't look bad, so it just shows how much better the 'proper model' is.

Back tracking a little, I've also got one of those Ian Kirk Boplate B kits to make, sometime, and I wondered whether I could ask a question of the wagon experts on here?  I've got a vague memory of reading of some of these wagons being used for brick traffic; it could perhaps have been an article in the Great Northern Society magazine years ago, or did I imagine it?  The article was accompanied by a grainy photo showing one lettered "BRICK" in large capitals in the middle of the side, in the manner of the better known ex GN type bogie brick wagons.  I wondered whether anyone else knew of this; if so how long did they run like that (ideally for my purposes well into BR days!), and were they altered in any way, e.g. by the fitting of VB, as of course the GN ones were built so fitted?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Two more shots of the new bridge...............

868557664_MGNRbridge21.jpg.97b21d3771ee344e31e0573eb3f4607c.jpg

This is similar to a P H Wells' shot, taken on the last day of the line in 1959.

It's no doubt heresy to say it  but I think this view is at least as good as anything at Pendon.

• Like 4
  • Agree 10

1 hour ago, Jesse Sim said:

I really like that first shot, it’s as if I’m standing in your back yard again having a coffee and one of those stress reliever sticks, can’t wait till I’m there again, how I miss it. 

Many thanks, Jesse,

You know you're always welcome here. 

Regards,

Tony. 

1 hour ago, westerner said:

A lovely piece of work. Just out of interest Tony, was one of the smoke deflectors missing on the prototype?

Good morning Alan,

There was.

The one missing would have been over the Up lay-by, which finished just north of the bridge. It's thus highly-unlikely that a loco would ever pass underneath it.

170887894_MGNRbridge25A.jpg.ad4618b1a1857be241a8aec37e765e7e.jpg

In a similar shot to the one I posted yesterday, the Up 'Leicester' heads across the bridge towards Castle Bytham and beyond. 

The main line tracks going away from the camera are Down slow, Down fast, Up fast, Up lay-by (the one without the deflector) and Up slow. It's interesting that the Up lay-by is sited between the Up running roads (the Down south lay-by is the same), but that's how the prototype was arranged. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

40 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

It's no doubt heresy to say it  but I think this view is at least as good as anything at Pendon.

Steady on Trevor,

It probably is heresy. 

I'd never really compare anything I'm involved with with Pendon. That surely is the zenith with regard to 4mm Scale modelling. 

LB's scenic-side trackwork is probably as good as anything on Pendon (even though it's 'narrow gauge') and the signals must come close, but that's probably it. I love Bob Dawson's architectural modelling on LB (and that of his grandson, Scott), but I've an idea that Bob didn't pass the Pendon 'entrance exam'. 

The scenery on LB isn't anywhere near Pendon's standards, though the new bridge certainly is. Were it a Vale prototype, it would have been installed straight away.

The locos painted for me by Ian Rathbone and Geoff Haynes are certainly to as high a standard in terms of livery as any loco on Pendon, but what's underneath that paint doesn't compare.

As for the shot you like, just about everything in it is my work (other than the wonderful new bridge). 

Regards (and a big 'thank you'),

Tony.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

12 hours ago, teaky said:

Beautiful.

I always thought the original bridge looked fine as a background feature.  The new one though is superb and the bridge is no longer a background feature.

Top marks to Jamie and Dave.

Thanks Rob,

And it still works just as well as 'background feature'.........

829959208_MGNRbridge29B.jpg.28bc7235d658e17e7f4554ca4ddf0ae1.jpg

Class A2/3 60516 HYCILLA (DJH/Wright/Rathbone) has just come under the bridge heading a Newcastle-Kings Cross express. 

Having the proper bridge now really does make a difference.

Between the running lines to the left can be seen the extent of my point rodding at the north end. Having the new bridge installed is the greatest motivation for my getting it finished! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 15

5 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

"Stress reliever stick?" Is this some secret hidden fetish, or has Tony been beating you into submission....

" You WILL use solder, you WON'T use glue......"

:jester:

• Funny 6

29 minutes ago, polybear said:

"Stress reliever stick?" Is this some secret hidden fetish, or has Tony been beating you into submission....

" You WILL use solder, you WON'T use glue......"

:jester:

Probably because solder gets you higher than glue.  I suspect the stress reliever sticks were smuggled into the country, or does Tony have a secret stash under the layout?

Edited by Headstock
reliever not receiver.
  • Funny 1