Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

1 hour ago, nerron said:

I believe he is an Egg Carton Manufacturing Executive!

An eggcutive, eh? That sounds eggciting and is probably eggscruciatingly stressful. I guess the mind could easily get scrambled without relief. ;-)

Edited by grahame
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, grahame said:

An eggcutive, eh? That sounds eggciting and is probably eggscruciatingly stressful. I guess the mind could easily get scrambled without relief. ;-)

Andy Y has been asked many times for a groan button. On that eggxruriating example I would ask again.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Andy Y has been asked many times for a groan button. On that eggxruriating example I would ask again.

He also needs a good yolk button.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

I'm sure you know, Brian,

But Jesse is talking about fags. I've told him he's an idiot to smoke, but the immortality of youth is deaf to such advice............

Regards,

Tony. 

Lost two grandparents to smoking induced cancer.

I am totally amazed that anyone under 50 actually starts.

When I was at school smokers were generally treated like pariahs. I refused to do as a prefect requested once so she reported me, so I dropped her in it for school bus smoking. I eventually at the age of 16 went to motorised transport and gave up the school bus as my moped probably did it for about 10p a week.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I gave up smoking when I went to University, because I couldn't afford to smoke, drink, drive a car and go out with women.

Does the team think I made the right choice?

Most of my friends didn't smoke as it would mean less money for other things.

So most liked a drink, some bought records - lots, some of us ran bikes, me model railways. Lots of us gigs.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, grahame said:

And, in my experience having had a few recent operations and regular attendance for check-ups, it's not just at that time.

Some hospitals/health authorities have made the whole of hospital grounds non-smoking but don't seem to enforce it. At St Peters I had to complain that cigarette smoke from puffers just outside the doors was drifting up and coming in the ward windows, where I was bedded. And on my cancer check-up visits at St George's I have to hold my breath and dash the last 10 yards through the thick fog of smoke around the entrance.

The ironic thing is that the smokers are mostly in/at hospital because they do smoke.

To quote Billy Connolly - they are more to be pitied than scolded. 

Tone

• Agree 1

Just off the production line - one of a pair of BR twin bolsters for Millhouses, just finished off after a delicate weathering session.  Fortunately, I found a colour photo of a very similar wagon which showed the (to me) unlikely-looking streaks down the panels from the top rail.  The bolster tops are a bit overdone, but by this evening I hope they will be covered by a load of pipes - on their way down from Chesterfield.

The problem is with how to weather the pipes.  They were apparently coated with bitument(for which Marabu Anthracite aerosol is quite a good match) but they seem to have acquired thin streaks.  Anyway, I have a dummy load made from offcuts and I will be seeing what can be done by washes - rather than hunching over and painting in every single streak individually.

To slightly misquote the Sex Pistols - it's my idea of fun.

Tone

PS Isn't it odd what the RMWeb spellchecker objects to.  Offcuts in this case

B920346_06.JPG

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

12 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

One of my friends used to be a heavy smoker a long time ago but gave up and started to buy trains instead - now he has a huge layout and massive collection of locos and rolling stock! I know which is more beneficial.

I have both hehe 

• Funny 1

12 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I gave up smoking when I went to University, because I couldn't afford to smoke, drink, drive a car and go out with women.

Does the team think I made the right choice?

All that, plus a Harley,  minus uni but.... I really need to go to bed or I won’t have a job...

• Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, 69843 said:

Not quite in defence of, but if I’m not mistaken Jessie is a tradie. Which means extraordinary amounts of stress and stress, compounded by stressful deadlines. So I can somewhat understand it. 

Out here in Oz it’s rare to meet a tradie who doesn’t smoke. 

No im not a tradie, I am a warehouse manager for a family run business that has been going since 1927. Although I do work saturdays doing landscaping, let me tell you, I don’t know how my mates work trades six days a week, I do it one day a week and it takes a hard man to do it! 

Tony I do apologise, I don’t mean to hijack your thread, but I’m just so popular. 

Now I really am off to bed, otherwise I really won’t have a job tomorrow and that really won’t be eggciting will it? 

Edited by Jesse Sim
  • Like 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Jessie; talking of tradies, one of my long term mates is still plastering houses, tiling bathrooms, laying concrete floors and he is 73 . We were teenage pals so we go back a long way!  He was mixing concrete, I was shovelling coal,  maybe we were just hard old boys back then. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Tony,

Thanks very much for your hospitality yesterday, Gordon, Colin and myself were very pleased to have the chance to see Little Bytham in action, not to mention the pub lunch. It is certainly nice to see full length passenger trains running at speed and also the long coal train with those red engines which appeared.

Thanks again and hopefully we will be able to say hello again at York.

Brian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, 88C said:

Tony,

Thanks very much for your hospitality yesterday, Gordon, Colin and myself were very pleased to have the chance to see Little Bytham in action, not to mention the pub lunch. It is certainly nice to see full length passenger trains running at speed and also the long coal train with those red engines which appeared.

Thanks again and hopefully we will be able to say hello again at York.

Brian

It was a wonderful day, Brian,

Thanks to you and the others for making it so, and my most-grateful thanks for your wonderful (collective) donations to CRUK. With the sale of the Black Five to Gordon (and with other recent donations), monies amounting to over £200.00 were posted of to the charity today.

And thank you for bringing those lovely red locos. Here they are.........

349238327_BarryRly0-6-2T.jpg.6a5be508b32f7e6c72c2756230967943.jpg

1853288265_BarryRly2-4-2TandPayVan.jpg.4e3fdfd79eca34795ab80d228da13ed8.jpg

496559632_BarryRlyAmerican0-6-2T.jpg.e232e9963ed78f779e5323b0c690adde.jpg

I know one was scratch-built (as was the pay van?) and the other two were built from kits. Perhaps you'll inform readers of their origins, please? 

I love this sort of stuff. By its very nature, it's not RTR, is the product of individual modelling, self-reliance and a desire to actually be able to say 'I made that'. 

I commend you.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Mike 84C said:

Jessie; talking of tradies, one of my long term mates is still plastering houses, tiling bathrooms, laying concrete floors and he is 73 . We were teenage pals so we go back a long way!  He was mixing concrete, I was shovelling coal,  maybe we were just hard old boys back then. 

Reminds me of a friends Dad. He was a ‘retired’ self employed painter and decorator. In his 80s he was still doing jobs for “the old folks” - most of whom were 20 years younger than him. When he got to 90 his relatives ganged up on him and took his ladders away!

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

A quick question to the Great and Knowledgeable, if I may?  I've recently acquired a Loco fitted with a Portescap motor.  I'd like to give it a quick test run, but am a little wary of which (if any) of the following controllers would be suitable:

A Gaugemaster DS, fitted with a brake simulation knob, or an H&M Duette with half/full wave switch?

Failing that, I've a decent lab. d.c. power supply, or a 9v battery....

Many thanks

Brian

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, polybear said:

A quick question to the Great and Knowledgeable, if I may?  I've recently acquired a Loco fitted with a Portescap motor.  I'd like to give it a quick test run, but am a little wary of which (if any) of the following controllers would be suitable:

A Gaugemaster DS, fitted with a brake simulation knob, or an H&M Duette with half/full wave switch?

Many thanks

Brian

Hi Brian

Both should be OK. When I worked for Gaugemaster we use to recommend that our feed back controllers were not used with a Portescap motor. I have recently been shot down on here in saying that,  as others say a feed back controller is OK. The DS is not a feed back.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Gaugemaster I think

I would not inflict a Portescap to either a resistance mat controller nor a pulse type electronic one.

I have 4 controllers and it is uncontrollable on a H&M Commander, but excellent on a Safety Minor.

Gaugemaster D seems fine too.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Many thanks

Brian

Good evening Brian,

I've used H&M controllers (Duette, Clipper, etc) to power Portescaps with complete success, though NOT on the half-wave pulse-power (there is no need for that).

I've been told that Portescaps don't like feedback controllers, though I have no empirical evidence for that, only anecdotal. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1