Jump to content

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

I’m trying to work out which later train was hauled by 60113 (for future reference in case I ever build it). I can’t see a likely candidate in the CWN. The next likely train I can see was the 1230 from Hull which had a portion starting from Doncaster. However this was quite a short train (8 or 9 coaches in 1958) and was a regular for Deltic by 1959 which suggests it was a Kings Cross turn.

 

Tony, Is it possible you are thinking about the Saturday workings as I can see several likely candidates on a Saturday? Of course, we’re only talking about a relatively short window when both engines were at Doncaster (Oct ‘57 to Jun ‘59). Prior to that I assume 60113 did something completely different.

 

Regards

 

Andy

It could well be a Saturday, Andy,

 

I'm relying entirely on the memory of 12-year old, 62 years ago. 

 

I never saw either locos returning. We were under strict instructions to be back by 6.00 pm, for tea. 

 

Regards,

 

Tony. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold

Very much enjoyed the bits of the show that I saw. Enjoyed your video on loco maintenance - you've got proper presenting skills!

 

I suppose one issue is that its a different use of the time normally spent at a show - I mean I am often conflicted between going to a show and using the winter weekends for actual modelling. With the online show I can dip in and out again and be modelling at the same time. Very much appreciated the layouts I saw and probably say more of them than I would at a show in any case (and of course for those layouts that never leave home this is probably the only way most of us will see any of them). Didnt buy anything (but then have been spending more on line with the same suppliers this year in any case). 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good afternoon Tony,

 

I'd just like to add my comments to others with respect to the show. Content wise I thought it was excellent a great mix for all interests. 

 

The only downside was that viewing the show on a mobile was that the amount of data per page downloaded was considerable and exceeded my phones capacity. It's not an old phone. I've since view all I need on a PC. 

 

 

Regards,

 

David 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MJI said:

We know what kit building is and scratchbuilding.

 

What is it called when you buy bits from all over the place and make a model like that?

I do that, and have been described as a "compiler" of models. I rather like "hunter-gatherer" myself.:rolleyes:

 

Mind you, the bits seldom add up to a kit so if you make the rest, I'd define it as semi-scratchbuilding.

 

My parts-gathering more often leads to upcycling some unfortunate r-t-r victim, and I call that "hacking".

 

John

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

I’m trying to work out which later train was hauled by 60113 (for future reference in case I ever build it). I can’t see a likely candidate in the CWN. The next likely train I can see was the 1230 from Hull which had a portion starting from Doncaster. However this was quite a short train (8 or 9 coaches in 1958) and was a regular for Deltic by 1959 which suggests it was a Kings Cross turn.

 

Tony, Is it possible you are thinking about the Saturday workings as I can see several likely candidates on a Saturday? Of course, we’re only talking about a relatively short window when both engines were at Doncaster (Oct ‘57 to Jun ‘59). Prior to that I assume 60113 did something completely different.

 

Regards

 

Andy

On Retford, Roy Jackson had 60113 on the 4.45 pm Doncaster-Grantham. No idea whether that was a regular working or not. 

 

Roy had 60700 on the 8.45 am Hull/9.15 am York-King’s Cross.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been doing a little bit of digital filing and stumbled across the following which I think may be up your street Tony.

 

377619226_D9019@RetfordJUNE1962.jpg.c019aece4611ff4623a5883f1e7e58bc.jpg

 

Taken by a colleague of mine, the image shows an unnamed D9019 heading away from Retford in June 1962. From the reaction of the sitters on the wall they've seen it all before but I'm wondering if D9019 is running on a single engine as I can only see one faint exhaust plume.

  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

On Retford, Roy Jackson had 60113 on the 4.45 pm Doncaster-Grantham. No idea whether that was a regular working or not. 

 

Roy had 60700 on the 8.45 am Hull/9.15 am York-King’s Cross.

I think the W1 on that train is fairly well documented. 

 

The 1645 Doncaster-Grantham sounds a bit light weight for 60113. More of a running in turn?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SP Steve said:

I've been doing a little bit of digital filing and stumbled across the following which I think may be up your street Tony.

 

377619226_D9019@RetfordJUNE1962.jpg.c019aece4611ff4623a5883f1e7e58bc.jpg

 

Taken by a colleague of mine, the image shows an unnamed D9019 heading away from Retford in June 1962. From the reaction of the sitters on the wall they've seen it all before but I'm wondering if D9019 is running on a single engine as I can only see one faint exhaust plume.

A brilliant shot, Steve,

 

Thanks for showing us. 

 

The Deltic might not be actually under way; just ready to go. It was quite common to have the longer trains sticking out from the platform like that. 

 

Regards,

 

Tony. 

  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've mentioned scratch-building, now it's carrying on with kit-building...................

 

The DJH 8F progresses well...........

 

3302992_8F07.jpg.cb67439476a07da59ecdd8cf6704536b.jpg

 

The basic tender body. I think the etching tools must be getting a little 'weary' by now, because none of the tabs fitted the slots (particularly the rear tank steps) - an irritating situation needing too much fettling.

 

1029535816_8F08.jpg.edcc90b1ede54a5cc1064f8d27a5f517.jpg

 

No problems here, though...............

 

1920296988_8F09.jpg.e4bdac3fdee2d61770e4385f899a846c.jpg

 

Until trying to fit the sandbox fillers into their etched/cast apertures. A bit of drilling was necessary. 

 

A nice touch is the two different sizes of lubricators - the RH one is (correctly) larger. 

 

Not much further to go now.......................

 

 

 

 

  • Like 15
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

I've mentioned scratch-building, now it's carrying on with kit-building...................

 

I read that as Carry On Kit Building; one of the series that was, sadly, never made!  I'm imagining Charles Haughtrey battling with a Jidenco kit, struggling not to be distracted by Barbara Windsor in the next door garden and Kenneth Williams entering the modelling den, gasping with an "Oo-oohh!" at our hero's handiwork.

Edited by Northmoor
  • Funny 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

 

 

1920296988_8F09.jpg.e4bdac3fdee2d61770e4385f899a846c.jpg

 

Until trying to fit the sandbox fillers into their etched/cast apertures. A bit of drilling was necessary. 

 

A nice touch is the two different sizes of lubricators - the RH one is (correctly) larger. 

 

 

Tony 

 

Have you got your lubricators on the right way round? They are differently arranged to those on preserved 48305 and 48431:

 

20190817_145246.jpg.53f905e9c17861a3a8171afe46e783ca.jpg20200819_111126.jpg.9992095c6c010222e09f68b93d41cd9e.jpg

 

This Black 5 by contrast has them as you've modelled them:

20180218_154038.jpg.1e689f87a1e06a2c22dc491972c6dcd7.jpg

 

Simon

  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 65179 said:

 

Tony 

 

Have you got your lubricators on the right way round? They are differently arranged to those on preserved 48305 and 48431:

 

20190817_145246.jpg.53f905e9c17861a3a8171afe46e783ca.jpg20200819_111126.jpg.9992095c6c010222e09f68b93d41cd9e.jpg

 

This Black 5 by contrast has them as you've modelled them:

20180218_154038.jpg.1e689f87a1e06a2c22dc491972c6dcd7.jpg

 

Simon

I think so, Simon,

 

The larger one is to the right..................

 

Regards,

 

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
typo error
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I thinks so, Simon,

 

The larger one is to the right..................

 

Regards,

 

Tony. 

 

Sorry Tony I didn't explain myself well enough. I think the part of each lubricator you have facing the boiler should in fact be facing outwards.

 

Simon

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

It could well be a Saturday, Andy,

 

I'm relying entirely on the memory of 12-year old, 62 years ago. 

 

I never saw either locos returning. We were under strict instructions to be back by 6.00 pm, for tea. 

 

Regards,

 

Tony. 

I don’t remember much of my 12 year old spotting. It would have been mainly 4-CEPS, SUBS and EPBs with an occasional crompton thrown in for a treat and on a very special day a trip to Finsbury Park to drool over Deltics. I don't remember any details from that period, so I’m impressed with your Retford recollections!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 65179 said:

 

Sorry Tony I didn't explain myself well enough. I think the part of each lubricator you have facing the boiler should in fact be facing outwards.

 

Simon

I know what you’re saying, a quick check through a couple of books indicates the ‘clock face’ of the lubricator housing faces inward on the 8F’s, unlike the Black fives (outward) as you mention. So Tony’s is likely correct. 

  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MJI said:

We know what kit building is and scratchbuilding.

 

What is it called when you buy bits from all over the place and make a model like that?

 

It doesn’t sound as macho as ‘hunter-gatherer, but the term I’m familiar with would call you a Kit-basher...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 65179 said:

 

Sorry Tony I didn't explain myself well enough. I think the part of each lubricator you have facing the boiler should in fact be facing outwards.

 

Simon

Good morning Simon,

 

I see what you mean now. 

 

The rear faces of the DJH 8F lubricators are just blank. I think what's slightly confusing is the 'chunky' representation of the 'U'-shaped operating cranks (were these for hand-use?). Were I 'pure', I'd have replaced them with wire. To have cast them to scale would have made them too vulnerable. 

 

Regards,

 

Tony.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, westerner said:

The fence was built of Balsa (nothing looks better as wood than wood. The piers were constructed of 4mm foamboard and covered with Slaters stone sheets. The decking used Balsa again, supported by Evergreen H girders. It was a girder bridge. Originally wood but later second hand iron girders. The bridge was then painted, detailed and weathered by me.

 

Very effective modelling to look so realistic. Being very pedantic, the girder should be an I beam, not an H beam. The H sections would normally be used for piles or bridge piers, where the forces parallel and perpendicular to the legs of the H are likely to be similar. For a bridge beam, the main forces are vertical (along the stem of the I) rather than horizontal (except for bridge bashing), and hence the width is much less than the height of the steel section. Also for the bridge, the strength of the flanges (the horizontal bits) is increased by their distance from the mid height of the beam, so a longer web with shorter flanges is much more economic that longer flanges and a shorter web. The only place where H sections would be used for beams is if there is very restricted depth between the loading gauge and the required surface level above.

 

Having said all this though, what a realistic impression is given of weathered masonry including the prominent corner stones on the piers.

 

Lloyd

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this is just a case of the 8F being the poor relation. Looking at the DJH site the same castings have been used as used in the Black 5 kit for the Silvertown lubricators. That would be OK, but for the B5 you can leave the rear handles off whereas they should be visible on the 8F. What PMP describes as the clock face is the side of the lubricator where the mechanical linkages are attached (you can see the linkages fairly prominently in my photo of 44806, but they are not really visible in the 8F photos).   Putting them the right way round on your model would require handles adding whereas having them the wrong way round saves that trouble (albeit with a small compromise in appearance). I only mentioned it because of previous discussions about V2 lubricators. The staggered arrangement of a V2's lubricators to allow room for the linkages is replicated to the rear on the 8F (the different length lubricators you note being placed at the same distance from the outer edge of the running plate so that they are effectively staggered when viewed from the inner edge).

 

Watch me forget all this when I get around to my 8F and Black five kits!

 

Simon

  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear Tony, I've just replayed the Little Bytham video. Did i spot a 9f without a smoke box handrail?

 

I've not seen a prototype like that. Is it correct or are my eyes deceiving me?

Edited by davidw
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Tony

i wonder if I may ask for a little assistance from your good self?

I have recently acquired a DJH B16/1 kit . I’ve just completed the PDK kit for a B16/3 and it was, generally a delight to build.  The DJH kit is one of their earliest kits and is therefore, how can I put it, a little basic by today’s standards. I see that in their advertising DJH show one of these locos, on Little Bytham I think. Did you use the DJH frames, which are basically 2 pieces of rather thick brass. Also I note the crossheads are white metal.

I think I can make a reasonable job but wonder how you approached it and if you substituted any parts. 
Any tips from the master would be much appreciated.

(PS I am aware that PDK and LRM do a kit for the B16/1 but I like a challenge!)
 

 

  • Friendly/supportive 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.