Latest developments from Bachmann & Farish

Andy Y

Thanks for the photos.

Despite being a big fan of class 40s I've never bought RTR models of them because the available models have disappointed me. That might change now! First comment though is that the springs and axleboxes on the bogie maybe look a bit lacking in depth? Hard to judge I'm sure from a photo rather than the model, and without referencing photos of the real thing. Bachmann are to be congratulated on revisiting a relatively recent model.

26power

It should be that good, you should see the cracks, D212 was Scanned for the retooling some time ago.

http://www.trainweb.org/cfa/bogiefund/bogies.html

http://www.facebook.com/Class40Appeal

Gary

The L&YR tank should have loads of rivets on the bunker sides and back . . .

Hopefully they will be there on the production model so we can count them.

Stan

Stanley, these locos were built flush rivetted. Judging by photos taken in later LMS and BR days, economies appear to have dictated repaired or re-skinned bunkers got visible rivets. Nevertheless, there were locos in BR days still with flush riveted bunkers, so it is going to be a case of take care before renumbering.

The 4F is nice, it will be a good companion for the Johnson 3F and can replace my aging tender-drive Airfix version. Or possibly complement it; leave the Airfix one "on shed" (since it doesn't run all that well anyway) and let the Bachmann one do the actual work (and be close enough to the front of the layout to notice the detail).

I had a good look at the Farish J39 at Warley today. I have to say it looks extremely promising the lubricator drive off of the centre axle is a very nice touch. I was unable to ask, but it looked to me as though this model will be tender drive. I say this because there are no wires running back to the loco from the tender for the motor (unlike WD, 5MT and Ivatt) and also it would be logical given the announcement of the loco predated the move to loco drive and LNER Group Standard tender drive already exists for the B1. Can anyone confirm if I am correct?

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Hi Roy.

The Ivatt sample didn't have wires either and we know that's loco drive. I suspect these are simply non-motored samples. The early WD and 5MT samples didn't feature wires either.

I don't really need a Deltic, but I'm having one anyway, it looks superb!

Tom.

Hi Roy.

The Ivatt sample didn't have wires either and we know that's loco drive. I suspect these are simply non-motored samples. The early WD and 5MT samples didn't feature wires either.

I don't really need a Deltic, but I'm having one anyway, it looks superb!

Tom.

Hi Tom

I was pretty sure the Ivatt in the cabinet today did have a couple of tiny wires running between the tender and loco and I know that as far back as TINGS they had a running example, which is why I asked the question. However checking the pics I took on my phone today they do not include one of it (doh!).

I'm sure we'll find out one way or the other soon enough anyway.

Oh and yes, the Deltic did look rather tasty too and I could justify one on a Waverley Route layout, so one may need to go on the (ever growing) list!

Cheers

Roy

Had a good look at the progress models today.

Sleepers - beautiful, following on from the high standards set by the postals. These are exquisite, the wealth of other detail complimenting and contrasting with the plainer than normal body sides.

LMS (MR) brakes - great looking essentials these. Of course they've come out just as I've finished building a brace from kits - still, I had fun and learnt a fair amount too.

Class 40. Now then.... The disc version looked bob-on. The decorated split-box loco also looked very persuasive. However, and it was something about the relationship and size of the headcode panel to the rest of the nose - the centre panel arrangement failed to convince me. The whole centre box looked overscale, like it had had a collagen jab. Hard to tell in pre-pro grey though, so I'll reserve judgement. EDIT: this photo emphasizes it: http://www.petertandy.co.uk/40194_manvic_290584.jpg

Covhops - don't need these but they looked fantastic. And as for 10000, that looked to have stunning levels of detail.

I'm sure I should have taken more notice of other things in the cabinet, but my essentials kept my rapt attention for too long as it was!

Guest Belgian

I'm just knocked out by the sheer number of models that are so close to completion, at such high quality. Not so long ago what we see here would represent several years worth of releases.

JE

Nice though the 40 looks, the cab doors still look a bit strange to me, too deeply recessed resulting in the "porch" above them which the 37 was hammered for a few years back. I'm no expert on these but they don't quite capture the subtle shape of the big EEs for me.

Thanks Bachmann, what a good range of new models. It was inevitable that the Class 40 would still need a Shawplan windscreen etch and a few tickles here and there for us 'fussier' modellers (me) but I'm just grateful that, at first glance at least, we'll no longer need to hack about old Limas and mate them to Bachmann's older 40.

Stanley, these locos were built flush rivetted. Judging by photos taken in later LMS and BR days, economies appear to have dictated repaired or re-skinned bunkers got visible rivets. Nevertheless, there were locos in BR days still with flush riveted bunkers, so it is going to be a case of take care before renumbering.

Ah, but the two I want for the Liverpool area in the late 1950s both had those rivets so they'll have to be there for me . . .

Stan

post-2113-0-07745400-1353794980.jpg

With the 40, more importantly as per their 37 - the cab windows are moulded onto the clear glazing and it looks wrong. Its something to do with the way the finished model is ejected from the mould - if the correct and prototypical window frames were to be produced, it would rip the mould to shreds on ejection.

ViTrains got over that by having a detachable nose, which meant that the model could be ejected differently from the mould..............still that's why Mr Hanson at Shawplan produces his exquisite EE cab windows :superman:

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tom

I was pretty sure the Ivatt in the cabinet today did have a couple of tiny wires running between the tender and loco and I know that as far back as TINGS they had a running example, which is why I asked the question. However checking the pics I took on my phone today they do not include one of it (doh!).

I'm sure we'll find out one way or the other soon enough anyway.

Oh and yes, the Deltic did look rather tasty too and I could justify one on a Waverley Route layout, so one may need to go on the (ever growing) list!

Cheers

Roy

Hmm, now you've got me doubting myself, and the one (dodgy iphone) photo I've got of the Ivatt isn't that clear. However, looking at the vast mound of coal and solid looking chassis on the J39 tender I think you are right Roy and would appear to be tender drive. Humble pie duely consumed!

post-1467-0-35942000-1353796117_thumb.jpg

Eitherway, as you say it's a lovely looking model.

Tom.

Thanks for the update Andy, I must say 10000 does look really good, rails weren't lying when they said they were aiming for prototype deltic quality. Did Bachmann have any updates on the standard release compounds?

With the 40, more importantly as per their 37 - the cab windows are moulded onto the clear glazing and it looks wrong. Its something to do with the way the finished model is ejected from the mould - if the correct and prototypical window frames were to be produced, it would rip the mould to shreds on ejection.

ViTrains got over that by having a detachable nose, which meant that the model could be ejected differently from the mould..............still that's why Mr Hanson at Shawplan produces his exquisite EE cab windows :superman:

And the difference the EE parts make is very obvious:

post-7400-0-51589800-1353823605_thumb.jpg

Hope they scale up that deltic to OO looks good, interesting to see people don't think the 40 is quite spot on but clearly better than before. That 10000 looks excellent though have ordered the standard release with yellow ends, it seems Bachmann have no idea of approx delivery time yet though ( or they would have said so).

Possibly outside the scope of this topic but any indication from the Bachmann stand if they consider the experiment with overhead electrics over or have sales justified further models in this area.

Mark

Archived