Modified HSTs

wagonman

I've just been looking at the Feb issue of Modern Railways. On page 14 there is a photo of Peterborough with a Grand Central HST (power car 43480 leading) and it was this that caused me to do a double take: it's got buffers and what looks like standard drawgear! Have any other HSTs been treated to this modification?

• RMweb Gold

November 2006 saw plans by new open access operator Grand Central to commence HST operation between Sunderland and Kings Cross from late 2007 after many delays and legal challenges to their existence. Grand Central purchased six power cars outright from Porterbrook, so the remaining six buffer-fitted power cars 43065/067/068/080/084/123 were sent to DML Devonport to have the major refurbishments required to bring them back into frontline service.

Courtesy of http://www.125group.org.uk/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=10

Several were done like this in the run up to electric services on the ECML, they acted as DVTs to the 91's and I presume a safeguard should there be a failure as the HST could power the train.

Once modified they stayed that way, I seem to think they all ended up on the Cross Country routes after their role on the ECML testing was over and all ended up with Virgin before spreading further after CC gave them up to 220/221s

Several were done like this in the run up to electric services on the ECML, they acted as DVTs to the 91's and I presume a safeguard should there be a failure as the HST could power the train.

This was because the class 91s arrived before the Mk4 rolling stock they were supposed to work with. A few HST sets had one of these modified power cars at one end and a 91 (or the class 89) at the other. Originally the class 43 HST power car just powered the air conditioning and lighting in the coaches (as these are non-standard and not compatible with the 91) but this was found to damage the engine from running for log periods at low revs, so the set up was modified so that the power car provided traction as well. 

I lived by the ECML at the time and remember these well. I also remember some test rakes using a 91/43 and some Mk3 sleepers.

The 89 had a regular peak-hour working with one of these sets - originally to and from Peterborough and later on from Grantham.

Some of the buffer fitted power cars are also used in the Network Rail measurement train.

• RMweb Gold

The trains powered by 91/HST combination were great to ride on.  The acceleration ws phenomenal.

Jamie

I had a trip behind one on the WCML (yes, the WCML - although not a Class 91of course) and we ran into Euston more than 20 minutes before time having totally wrecked the point-to-point times in the process.  AS you say - phenomenal acceleration.

• RMweb Premium

I had a trip behind one on the WCML (yes, the WCML - although not a Class 91of course) and we ran into Euston more than 20 minutes before time having totally wrecked the point-to-point times in the process.  AS you say - phenomenal acceleration.

The only better things for northbound acceleration out of Wakefield towards Leeds, which is awkward and steep, was the class 89 which was around at the same time.  It was so sure footed it flew out.

Jamie

When 43014 and 43123 were trialled on the WCML both had totally "fooked" power units in them. Because of this they both had MA sets in the van area.

Al Taylor

Archived