CARLISLE BUILDINGS Photo Restoration

LOL Alan,

Well as a young teen I had potential as a Table Tennis player and was sure I would play for England one day and that that would be my career but then cutting a long story short, soon realised how C..P I was and in reality, just another club player, ah well there you go. :-)

My coach Jack Tickle once faced the great Victor Barna who won 22 world titles. 

Peter

Edited by Gravy Train
  • Like 1

It might have been through the arch but sadly can't remember, do remember it was a Greenall Whitley establishment by then though.

I was an avid spotter as a kid in early 70's when Carlisle's still had much of its old infrastructure, with a massive working marshalling yard, goods lines, trip workings, signal boxes, proper goods trains, diesel variety, wheeltappers etc etc.   Electrification started a change but 40 years later there are still many of the remnants of the infrastructure around. 

Building Carlisle in EM with such detail ranks as one of the biggest modelling projects I've ever seen - it certainly deserves a thread as the glimpses we've had so far are quite tantalising.

Simon    

• Like 1

Don't you just hate some people. Here I am struggling to produce reasonable buildings for my layout and somebody :superman:  can produce masterpeices such as these with consumate ease and what appears to be such a short time span. :banghead:

Why isn't there an emoticon for envy 'cause I think they're great?

• Like 1

Jeepers, they are unbelievable. Knowing the real buildings as I do just makes them even more stunning. Even the colouring is beautifully done. A lot of work has gone into them, that's for sure.

It doesn't get any better than that.

Thanks for posting.

Cheers,
Dave

Hi Mick,

many thanks for your appreciative comments.

It was a tricky, it was constructed of card, wood, plastic and etched brass niceties, as mentioned somewhere in the thread, I only had a template with which to work in and the road level, the rest is guess work, making it work in the perspective in relation to the other two buildings as in the real scene.

cheers

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Hi good people,

Yes, there is an entrance to the left, a curving walkway, which is also modelled but not shown in the photos as I still have this part at my home with a view of it being attached on site at a later date.

I must point out that this walkway was extremely tricky to do, as not having the viaduct to hand to work from adjacent to the hotel, the angles, it sloping down and curving.

I temporally attached the said piece to the side of the Hotel at rd level and to the Angle of the Viaduct I had on a template from Mike Edge before painting and a cut/try/fit session  ensued until I got it as perfect as was possible ready to be fixed in place.

Alan, the carving on the fluted pillars were formed from DAS, whilst still wet, using a blunt craft knife, I did however lightly draw the pattern on the DAS as a guide with an EDDING 005 pen before indentation.

cheers

Peter

Despite living in Carlisle I never looked how the entrance to the "Dive Bar" worked I presumed it was part of the fabric so was a bit shocked to find it floating in the air... Luckily I only ventured down the steps once... that was enough..

I took some photos but by the sounds of it you have already completed the section but may be of use to someone.

post-12740-0-32795200-1415646503_thumb.jpg

View from the alley way looking up

post-12740-0-40084200-1415646534_thumb.jpg

Another view looking up.

post-12740-0-21540300-1415646522_thumb.jpg

Looking down from the bridge.

post-12740-0-94987100-1415646549_thumb.jpg

The top of the wall on the bridge left of entrance.

For those interested in "ghost signs" down the alleyway under the building to the left of the Hotel is this Beauty for the British Paints Ltd ... I've never seen anything enter or exit and assume its never used but the No Parking is always respected as is the original paintwork from the Graffiti artists.

post-12740-0-81911000-1415647018_thumb.jpg

post-12740-0-58899800-1415647039_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Steve

• Like 2

Hi Steve,

yes, you are correct in your assumption that I have constructed the Walkway, although not as yet attached as the Hotel was delivered before the completion of the walkway.

I also modelled the building next to the Hotel with the double gates/doors, though not the name etc, reasoning that no knowledge of the owner, back in the early 50s 60s period.

cheers

Peter

• 6 months later...

Hi Peter, a friend of mine at the ScRSG club has missed this thread, I don't know how...... We've all talked about it. Hopefully with this post he'll now see it and be amazed!

Anyway, I've now got permission from SWMBO to get the Wharfeside station building commissioned so I'll be sending you some details. (Based on Burley in Wharfedale)

I was asked what I wanted for my significant birthday at the end on this month, a holiday, a driver experience day, another engine, something for me auld Landrover?  No, I've been thinking - how's about Peter doing the station building for the layout. 'Now that's a good idea, something that you'll appreciate for a long time' she says, what a lass.... 'I guess it won't be ready for your birthday though' she said, eh no Peter's rather busy at the mo....

Will be in touch.

All the best,

Dave Franks.

• Like 1

Just discovered this thread, and gone through from the start.  What absolutely superb modelling,  I just don't have adequate words to describe it.  Thank you for giving us the opportunity to see the construction, and an awful lot of tips.

Derek

Just back from France after delivering the hotel, this is what it looks like on the layout.

The view between the buildings, curving entrance to the hotel still to be added and some more wall and bridge work needed.

As a Cumbrian in exile, that is one of the most evocative pieces of modelling I have ever seen - thank you.

• 7 months later...