BR shock absorbing pallet vans - are any preserved?

Dan Randall

• RMweb Gold

Hi all

As the title suggests, I'm wondering if any BR shock absorbing pallet vans made it into preservation and if so, where can I find an example for measuring and photographic purposes please? 

Here are a couple of examples from Paul Bartlett’s excellent photographic collection….

With hinged doors....

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brpalshocvan/h119d9af8#h119d9af8

With sliding doors….

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brpalshocvan/h119d9af8#hfbf330b

Regards

Dan

Edited by Dan Randall

There seems to be at least one, of the sliding door variety, courtesy of the Railway Heritage Register site (though the shock status isn't mentioned in the entry).

http://www.ws.vintagecarriagestrust.org/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=8404

Adam

That's a rare wagon - hope they realise what they've got.................

We have, on the Mid Hants, a shoc van and a couple of palvans, (scroll down) perhaps you could glean some info from each?

What a cracking collection of wagons :locomotive:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What a cracking collection of wagons :locomotive:

As an aside I had the freight train at our recent gala. I had the Black 5 and had to work the thing hard up the 1 in 60 - the train comes in at 291 tons.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Adam - Thanks for the link to the sliding door variant. One down, one to go!

PhilH - Thank you for bringing to my attention the large number of interesting wagons on the Mid Hants. When I get some free time, I feel a visit will be in order.

Thanks also to everyone else for their input so far.

Regards

Dan

As an aside I had the freight train at our recent gala. I had the Black 5 and had to work the thing hard up the 1 in 60 - the train comes in at 291 tons.

Well it was a Black Five - now a proper Southern engine would have waltzed away with it....................... :declare:

Presumably the one pictured in the link I posted above? I rather assumed that it was ex-BR and ex-MoD but freely admit to knowing naff all about the MoD's wagon stock.

Adam

Presumably the one pictured in the link I posted above? I rather assumed that it was ex-BR and ex-MoD but freely admit to knowing naff all about the MoD's wagon stock.

Adam

I believe the MoD's purpose-built Palvans were longer than the BR ones, being somewhat closer to the APCM vans in length.
  • Like 1

Hello.

I remember there being at least a couple of PalVans at Bo'ness some years ago but don't recall if they were the shoc variety or not. Painted a light (faded) green from memory.

Hope this helps,

David.

Hello.

I remember there being at least a couple of PalVans at Bo'ness some years ago but don't recall if they were the shoc variety or not. Painted a light (faded) green from memory.

Hope this helps,

David.

Boness has standard Palvans, after they had been in private use for a local traffic flow at Kilmarnock http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/johnniewalkerpalvan

Paul Bartlett

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for confirming the Boness Palvans are the standard variety Paul - it would have been rather a long drive from Wiltshire, only to find they're the wrong sort!

The sliding door variant on the Avon Valley Railway on the other hand, is only about 20 miles from me. Thanks to Adam for bringing it to my attention and also to Pete McFarlane for the close-up of the grounded body at Rothley.

I'm still hoping there's a hinged door variant out there somewhere, but at least I have something to be getting on with in the meantime.

Regards

Dan

• Like 1

• 7 years later...
1 minute ago, Gordon A said:

I think we have a couple at Bitton, Bristol. I will have a look tomorrow afternoon.

Gordon A

I think you have at least one with the later door type (sliding rather than hinged). Neither type was built in large quantities and there are few survivors.

Not sure if the original enquirer is still on here but I thought I'd add a couple of pics in case other people are searching for info on these.

Cheers,

Mol

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Gordon A said:

I think we have a couple at Bitton, Bristol. I will have a look tomorrow afternoon.

Gordon A

This was at Bitton a couple of years ago..two different visits I think...

Chris

P1320912.JPG

P1060754.JPG

• Like 1