Jump to content

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.


Recommended Posts

  • RMweb Gold

Wait a minute — isn't that unprototypical? "May Day" wasn't a bank holiday until the 1970s, when it was introduced by the 1974-9 Labour government, in (I think) 1978 following on from an earlier "one-off" B.H in June? the previous year to celebrate the Silver Jubilee. So this wasn't a bank holiday until long after the GWR had ceased to be… (and in those days the August bank holiday was the first Monday in August). :-)

  • Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Wait a minute — isn't that unprototypical? "May Day" wasn't a bank holiday until the 1970s, when it was introduced by the 1974-9 Labour government, in (I think) 1978 following on from an earlier "one-off" B.H in June? the previous year to celebrate the Silver Jubilee. So this wasn't a bank holiday until long after the GWR had ceased to be… (and in those days the August bank holiday was the first Monday in August). :-)

 

Rule 1.

  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just like my ongoing crate saga when are you going to get that barn roof fixed.......surely the roofers have found some tiles by now?

Hope that ladder isn't on hire!

 

 

  • Funny 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, KNP said:

Just like my ongoing crate saga when are you going to get that barn roof fixed.......surely the roofers have found some tiles by now?

Hope that ladder isn't on hire!

 

 

 

Nope that hole in the roof is there as a warning to other's...

 

...never tell the Grand Inquisitor his clothing is the wrong shade of Malachite or BR Green or how his prized 1/24th Scale De Havilland Mosquito is lacking rivet detail:O 

 

He'll take you on a sky diving trip of a lifetime - without a parachute.. :O 

  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

 

Yep

 

I think you'll find it was the kit's designer at Wills back in the 1970s.:lol:

  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Having seen the new Hornby SR gangwayed luggage van I'm tempted to supplement the bogie B with one.:read:

 

https://southern-railway.com/2021/05/01/the-all-new-Hornby-sr-gangwayed-bogie-luggage-vans-arrive/


For once I got there before you Robin!  One will shortly be winging its way to Vancouver from Cornwall. 
 

Best wishes

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

 

I think you'll find it was the kit's designer at Wills back in the 1970s.:lol:

 

A real event inspired the designer, which means you weren't allowed access into 'that part' of the Grand Inquisitors Green Archive ;) :P 

  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, john dew said:


For once I got there before you Robin!  One will shortly be winging its way to Vancouver from Cornwall. 
 

Best wishes

I've got the old Tri-ang one tarted up with the Roxey detailing kit. That'll do for me.

  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold

It's great to see the preserved railways open again after restrictions. Here we see an unusual visitor to the P & D line in the shape of a S160 class Omaha 2253 leaving Goodrington. What a beast.

 

178196024_4120227214688212_5780233492068990265_n.jpg.7c3c17d199357c4deff86be3471609e9.jpg

  • Like 16
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

Meanwhile at 'the Works' @gwrrob's Wartime Black 46xx breaks cover after a few upgrades...

 

4679_02.jpg.3e4f86e5b9a7467523dda4772ab6550a.jpg

 

4679_04.jpg.7012eaca828f21a963d90cedb3f422d6.jpg

 

Nice work and attention to detail with the RT Sanding Lever rods and running plate handrails :good_mini:

 

Cheers, 

 

Mark ;)

 

 

 

Edited by 46444
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
On 01/05/2021 at 18:06, john dew said:


For once I got there before you Robin!  One will shortly be winging its way to Vancouver from Cornwall. 
 

 

A cracking model John and here's mine being rostered for the inter-regional parcels turn.

 

DSCN7807.JPG.cd7b92770cdd0198e53934d1e124d000.JPG

  • Like 16
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.