A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob,

That's interesting. Despite the number patch and the "factory rust" tallying pretty much exactly, your B25304 has the bottom door markings a little lower than they are on my example. Yours also seems to have acquired a Morton-braked underframe....

On second thoughts, it looks like Bachmann originally fitted mine with a mixture of brake parts and I've removed the Morton clutch and crossbar! 

The hunt will now be on for a "sloper" I presume?

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Hi Rob,

That's interesting. Despite the number patch and the "factory rust" tallying pretty much exactly, your B25304 has the bottom door markings a little lower than they are on my example. Yours also seems to have acquired a Morton-braked underframe....

On second thoughts, it looks like Bachmann originally fitted mine with a mixture of brake parts and I've removed the Morton clutch and crossbar! 

Interesting thread here from nearly seven years ago John.:read: I hadn't realised the model was that old.

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, brianusa said:

Heritage Rail mentions that Brent station may be coming back on the main line

'Listen very carefully, I will say zis only once!'

There has been some kind of a 'survey' and 'discussions' involving the local MP, amongst others, concerning the desire on the part of some parties to reopen Brent station.

As far as I can see, no one has made these parties aware of the signalling improvements that would inevitably have to accompany such a scheme, in order to fit more stops on the main line into the existing non-stop GWR and XC services.

So, it's not just a question of building a couple of platforms and a car park (which in itself is problematical, as it would have to be on the other side of Station Road, on some land adjacent to the Kingsbridge branch formation just off the main line, which is supposedly available or supposedly potentially available for such purposes.

The current car parking area next to the down platform is owned by South Hams council and is always full up with local people visiting the shops in the village etc.

During a large portion of my career, I advised various well-intentioned and enthusiastic local people about such requirements, most of these being involved in some way shape or form with the local parish council, who's grasp on the reality of a scheme like this I can only conclude, after successive frustrations and disappointments, is tenuous at best.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

During a large portion of my career, I advised various well-intentioned and enthusiastic local people about such requirements, most of these being involved in some way shape or form with the local parish council, who's grasp on the reality of a scheme like this I can only conclude, after successive frustrations and disappointments, is tenuous at best.

Are these the same people who ended up with the signal box finials after it was demolished and had hoped to put them on display somewhere.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, gwrrob said:

Are these the same people who ended up with the signal box finials after it was demolished and had hoped to put them on display somewhere.

I have a feeling that you may be correct, old chap.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Interesting thread here from nearly seven years ago John.:read: I hadn't realised the model was that old.

Ah. I remember it now. It really got my goat at the time, as that post shows!

On closer inspection, I turned one set of brake shoes around, too! I also seem to have lost a door spring in the process, and replaced it with one I bent up from brass strip.

On the brighter side, I've not come across another version that's like it.

John

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

On mine this week were this pair of Bachmann 16 ton mineral wagons as recommended to me by @Dunsignalling and given some weathering treatment of my own even though the one on the left had some factory weathering as bought. A bit of variation as I bought one with and one without discharge doors.

895218707_DSCN7675(2)bw.jpg.1365a7b830383a1e6024cfb2d8587b5d.jpg430068762_DSCN7676(2).JPG.839c47bfbb51c1f9b8d93a2b6ef2a552.JPG991562953_DSCN7677(2).JPG.9270a9176387ee70d75befe1453373c4.JPG1416129342_DSCN7675(2).JPG.b4dae8be6e84abbd037844ead76211e1.JPG242785642_DSCN7678(2).JPG.1aaa8de84391c43054e1a8854077ce2b.JPG

On the new workbench..

bullionVan_03.jpg.1bc1cc8228cb78fcddc32083e26cfc3d.jpg

... nothing to see here :blind:

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Do you have any inside framed Syphon Gs? I’ve practically given up on someone producing a new model since the Lima one seems to have been ignored by Hornby.

No and my feelings are well known on the lack of a quality brown vehicle rtr especially with other regions having similar models. Maybe someone like Accurascale would take a look and we could always badger @McC who frequents this thread.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Do you have any inside framed Syphon Gs? I’ve practically given up on someone producing a new model since the Lima one seems to have been ignored by Hornby.

I'm trying to get Siphon F's to breed...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 02/04/2021 at 08:17, Captain Kernow said:

'Listen very carefully, I will say zis only once!'

There has been some kind of a 'survey' and 'discussions' involving the local MP, amongst others, concerning the desire on the part of some parties to reopen Brent station.

Somebody at Railway Mag didn't hear you Cap'n!  Now Heathfield has been mentioned!:good:Again!:banghead:

Brian.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, brianusa said:

There's something about a Star although a Saint is prettier!:wub:

Brian

Legend on the SVR at the moment.4BCE4305-2EB0-47EE-90FF-5ACD988908B3.jpeg.dd2838fc4c0e4b717218b81ceea2e4cb.jpeg

Edited by gwrrob
Added details
  • Like 11