A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

23 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

You get more detail on a Cambrian Kit ;) 

I know that it's fashionable in some circles to slag off Cambrian wagons, but I rather like them.

I don't worry too much about making a pig's ear of modifying, painting and weathering a £10 kit.

But a £33 RTR box van?

• Like 6
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I know that it's fashionable in some circles to slag off Cambrian wagons, but I rather like them.

I don't worry too much about making a pig's ear of modifying, painting and weathering a £10 kit.

But a £33 RTR box van?

I like building Cambrian kits (I'm in double digits), they do catch the unwary out though.

A £33 RTR box van, with moulded on detail by the looks of it.

• Like 2

I have a GWR crane and match truck on the back burner, (only because I am trying to direct all of my time and energy into layout building.) The jib was fiddly, multiple dry runs required, but otherwise great. I've fitted brass bearings and scale wheels -. I think a lot come with wheels now. 

I like the brass door bangers on the RTR model. Something that I have done with a lot of old (1980s) plastic kits.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I have a GWR crane and match truck on the back burner, (only because I am trying to direct all of my time and energy into layout building.) The jib was fiddly, multiple dry runs required, but otherwise great. I've fitted brass bearings and scale wheels -. I think a lot come with wheels now. 

I like the brass door bangers on the RTR model. Something that I have done with a lot of old (1980s) plastic kits.

Not a crane and match truck (I'm part way through building a Brassmasters one of those - scary), I finished building a Loriot that a client started earlier this week (he didn't realise that the kit needed bearings).

loriotW_01.jpg.1c70ed6e10ef8cbda4e6721510d98535.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

But I confess to being disappointed with the level of detail on the underframe. If these samples are anything like the final product, they are not really an advance on what Bachmann currently produce and if anything, are perhaps a little on the primitive side, as virtually all of the individual components of the brake gear on each side appear to be one moulding.

For a £30 plus 2 axle short wheelbase wagon I think that is very disappointing for the price.   Still between my ex iron mink conversion and Parkside build I think I am good for gunpowder vans (though for £20 I’d have probably been tempted).  As for the open I’m never going to buy RTR any wagon for which a plastic kit is available for a fraction of the price.

my latest work is around an O13 milk brake (a coach that you would have thought right up Parkside’s street)A6B1A50D-D358-4820-90DC-D32BD6E7B0BE.jpeg.154d436d90edace7b3134cc09ed82943.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 8
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

You get more detail on a Cambrian Kit ;) 

You do but, speaking as someone with a couple of their equivalent opens on the go at the moment, the kit brake gear has the opposite problem to that identified on the Rapido EP by the good Captain. It's a bit on the delicate side for a layout wagon that's going to experience the rigours of the fiddle yard.

TBH, I don't spend much time inspecting upturned wagons and a slight bit of coarseness "down below" isn't noticeable at layout viewing range. From my perspective, better that than having the thing on my bench for repair after a month or two. Metal is the only real answer if we want both strength and accuracy. 

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Just look at that interior detail!

Best wagons I have tackled, simple, quick to pop together and beautifully detailed. The LMS Buffers are a bonus as Rob has done. My advice, get them whilst you can, they are lovely.

Phil

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, MrWolf said:

So do I, although I have other sources of kit that I would normally prefer.

I've recently built 5 Cambrian Herring, which isn't a bad kit, to be honest.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

So do I, although I have other sources of kit that I would normally prefer.

I've recently built 5 Cambrian Herring, which isn't a bad kit, to be honest.

I'll second that and be grateful that I turned down the roughly 30p each offer that I got from a well known dealers a few years ago for my unopened kit stash.

Many of them are now obsolete and some make silly money on eBay.

I've used quite a few Cambrian chassis under RTR wagon bodies too.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Due to the rise in tensions caused by fall of the Iron Curtain, the GWR asked the Royal Navy if they could help with some air cover for Brent.

They've deployed one their new prototypes to defend the skies from HMS Heron..

Seafang_25.jpg.41512345f44c485a43da04e354bd4188.jpg

Edited by toboldlygo
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1