Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Premium

You don't happen to know (or anyone else please) what the barrier vehicles behind the 57/3  (57312?) were?

I think they may be 6340 and 6344 but would like confirmation

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Gold

You don't happen to know (or anyone else please) what the barrier vehicles behind the 57/3 were?

Cheers,

Mick

Erm...blue ones?

Seriously, not a clue, there were a pair parked up on Leicester LIP this evening though and at a glance one was a mk1 and the other a mk2 so not this pair

the working was a doncaster wabtec to Leicester move

Edited by big jim

• RMweb Premium

Erm...blue ones?

Seriously, not a clue, there were a pair parked up on Leicester LIP this evening though and at a glance one was a mk1 and the other a mk2 so not this pair

the working was a doncaster wabtec to Leicester move

Hi Jim,

They are both Mk1s.

There was a move to Doncaster on the 14th with 6340 and 6344.

One is a former BCK, the other was a BG.

Cheers,

Mick

You don't happen to know (or anyone else please) what the barrier vehicles behind the 57/3  (57312?) were?

I think they may be 6340 and 6344 but would like conformation

I think you’ve found it’s right as I saw one of your comments on a photo, but here is confirmation:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tibshelf/46018761554/in/photolist-2cPgoVv-23AD2et-2d7wbxm-S52m6J-2educ6H-S5ot6J-2cPfdfV-2d6wjgd-QqWCsk-2ebTSnp-2e8LBEb-23BbkKp-23BbkJx-2edg3CX-Qr7u6v-2cNtdEn-23yyR2e-2edwx6D-23yyR3B-23yyQWp-QpBxWa-2eaWsdn-2cM7LPv-Qr3U6T-2d8qqvC-2e6ojn1-2e7M7rL-2d6wgbW-2badnAd-QcyXnr-2dXS3ii-PUdDbi-2dBdoRZ-2dA4LwY-2aL2yHJ-PHQp4e-PRzCgD-Qr3VmZ-23zkxPZ-23yjty2-QpjK44-S4qGhL-23vDXvV-PUBCBB-RuQsyJ-2cfVEXc-2cvS1VW-2dnvYEv-R6czs5-R6bu5o/

Jack.

P.S no 66702 on the Iport job...WOOHOO!! :dance:

Wednesday mountsorrel again, should have been a nice little Leicester to mountsorrel and back to Landor st but a driver went sick in the morning so I had to go to Doncaster for it, then while loading at the quarry I found out the relief driver had gone sick too so I ended up taking it to banbury

Just as well you turned up really. Don't forget to remind them of this from time to time :-)

That was a beautiful sunset on Wednesday.  I suppose it's nice as long as you're not driving into it?

Out of interest, is it common practice to propel a freight train off of the main line into a depot, rather than running round?  You've got a picture from a few weeks ago of an intermodal train backing into Landor Street where it appears that the locomotive is propelling.

That was a beautiful sunset on Wednesday.  I suppose it's nice as long as you're not driving into it?

Out of interest, is it common practice to propel a freight train off of the main line into a depot, rather than running round?  You've got a picture from a few weeks ago of an intermodal train backing into Landor Street where it appears that the locomotive is propelling.

If it was coming off the Leamington line, then propelling is easier than the alternative, which would mean not one, but two run-rounds. It would also involve a second drawing-out and propelling-back in order to move the train from the Reception sidings to the area served by the cranes.

That was a beautiful sunset on Wednesday. I suppose it's nice as long as you're not driving into it?

Out of interest, is it common practice to propel a freight train off of the main line into a depot, rather than running round? You've got a picture from a few weeks ago of an intermodal train backing into Landor Street where it appears that the locomotive is propelling.

It happens all the time for the frieghtliner terminal there it's the only way to work it. But technically it's not off the mainline it will be on what we know as the lawley which is a goods loop alongside the up and down slow. Most trains that arrive from waterorton direction run round on that line outside the terminal as they are too big to be done inside. Then they get a double shunt from us (opposing shunt signals cleared) and they can mess about to their hearts content without disturbing us signalman too much. Tho it's a bloody pain in the arse when they are shunting and something photogenic passes the West Midlands Signalling Centre. Edited by Gareth 73
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

At Clitheroe cement works, if it's an empty arrival from the north, it is propelled back into the works at Horrocksford Junction (HJ)

The loaded train is later reversed back out onto the up main line before heading north on the down line.

If it's an arrival from the south on the down line, it has to reverse over the crossover to the up line to gain access forwards into the works.

HJ is a crossover with single slip, (once a very common arrangement)  so there are no facing points in the main running directions.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

The Plasmors reverse off the ECML at Heck, they have to, no run round facility.

It happens all the time for the frieghtliner terminal there it's the only way to work it. But technically it's not off the mainline it will be on what we know as the lawley which is a goods loop alongside the up and down slow. Most trains that arrive from waterorton direction run round on that line outside the terminal as they are too big to be done inside. Then they get a double shunt from us (opposing shunt signals cleared) and they can mess about to their hearts content without disturbing us signalman too much. Tho it's a bloody pain in the arse when they are shunting and something photogenic passes the West Midlands Signalling Centre.

Have just looked at the location on a map and see what you mean!

Thank you all for these responses, the topic might be worthy of its own thread.  The Clitheroe cement depot and Plasmor depot at Heck look particularly tricky to work as the junctions are directly off the main line rather than off a goods loop.

Apologies to Jim for disrupting the thread.

• RMweb Premium

Just 3 from today, iport job again, had to do some shunting around though to get a wagon over thee and some coal wagons into decoy yard

This made me laugh at Roberts road, looks like a mobile skip! The loco was inside having its engine looked at

A58AC420-0AE9-445D-A3C6-5A5BFBAB728D.jpg

There'll be an old matress sticking out of that if it stays there too long........

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Just 2 from yesterday

66711 again

EEAAB1C7-7BEE-4F04-B828-54FB3CFB79FC.jpg

And my train to Leicester, 66754 and 66719

A1844DFB-7E7B-48F6-8E98-7558E60E324F.jpg

Should have been in today but had an incident on the way to work so have been to casualty instead!

Normal service will be resumed tomorrow with a trip to iport

Edited by big jim
  • Like 10