My initial impression...

hahughson

• RMweb Premium

My initial impression? Well, after reading all the posts on the subject I'd say it's that I wouldn't want to be on the editorial staff of any Model Railway Mag for all the tea in China............

Izzy

Er, actually only one title uses a TLA as a masthead, that's the one that's under scrutiny in this thread - perhaps you missed that?

Erm, nope, IMO this is a TLA:

wf47.jpg

Perhaps you missed it. :O

G.

I would just like to take the time to thank BRM for featuring my layout Poulton-le-Fylde this month, really impressed with how it has been presented in the magazine. I am liking the new format as well, much fresher and a more modern feel to it.

Cheers,

Greig

I would just like to take the time to thank BRM for featuring my layout Poulton-le-Fylde this month, really impressed with how it has been presented in the magazine. I am liking the new format as well, much fresher and a more modern feel to it.

Cheers,

Greig

It's a good article Greig; I'm personally not normally attracted to contemporary era models but yours works really well.

Here's a teaser for anyone interested.

poulton1.jpg

Phil Parker's joined the BRM team now and one of his projects is a simple and clear build of a Parkside kit.

Coal wagon.jpg

There's a good value subs offer too, readers taking out a subscription paid by quarterly DD (£10.99 a quarter) can have a Gaugemaster Combi controller worth £39.95.

controller subs offer.jpg

Not sure whether anybody has mentioned this, that there is nothing on the front cover to tell which issue it is, apart from in the right bottom corner where the "sell by date" is.

I do know that it says it on the spine. but when sorting through old mags for an article I tend to look on the cover for the issue number and month.

• RMweb Gold

My initial impression? Well, after reading all the posts on the subject I'd say it's that I wouldn't want to be on the editorial staff of any Model Railway Mag for all the tea in China............

Izzy

No doubt - but then with all the comment in this thread there must already be quite a queue of 'highly suitable' applicants for that Managing Editor job which Andy posted information about the other day (and very sensibly locked the topic).  Like any other job I'm sure that it must involve compromises and like many other jobs it would also involve pressure - and that's before the readers and buyers have their say.

Not sure whether anybody has mentioned this, that there is nothing on the front cover to tell which issue it is, apart from in the right bottom corner where the "sell by date" is.

I do know that it says it on the spine. but when sorting through old mags for an article I tend to look on the cover for the issue number and month.

Hi Alan, Yes; the price and publication month was omitted in error necessitating the use of an additional sticker for newsstand sales. As you say it's on the spine but that's not where I instinctively look either.

whilst my wife was out shopping she decided to buy me a magazine which she invariably does, and knowing my interests are model railways and motorcycling she came back with MCN.When I explained that it was BRM that I required she explained that all that she had looked for were the big white letters on a red background. She rests her case?

• RMweb Premium

I have to say Neil that I found it easier to make critical remarks to Andy in private than I would have done on here.

Fair comment.

I suppose that I was considering the commonly held view that internet conversations/debates can easily get hostile because it's less inhibiting than face to face contact; maybe I extrapolated too far and generalised too greatly.

popped to the newsy today as I'd forgot to buy Hornby mag. One week on, approx 4 Model Rail, maybe 8 or so Hornbys and no BRMs. Draw what conclusions you will ......

Very different in my local WHS.

Large number of BRM in a prominent chest high position, with the other three titles lower down and side by side and notably far fewer in number. RM had almost sold out. Interestingly no copies of MRJ. There were some last week so the current issue has sold out.

Make of that what you will. It probably goes to prove the old saying regarding statistics. (Or as some would comment that we are rather an odd lot round our neck of the woods)

Bernard

Make of that what you will.

Like the vast majority of statistics it is fundamentally flawed, as we do not know the number of copies originally on display or indeed are left out the back. The sample could also be influenced by the position of the display or even by the customer thinking "that is the last one" a collector's issue to be purchased while there still is a chance.

I would even go so far as to say that this topic and the "relaunch" nature of the issue may have had some influence ... after all they made at least one sale that probably wouldn't have happened driven by the "I just have to see what all the fuss is about".

I'm also always a bit suspect of circulation figures - do they contain the ones that end up in the recycle bin at the end of the month?

• RMweb Gold

Our local village shop does not stock any model railway mags, despite the village being quite large.

The little shop near where I work, despite having a far smaller catchment area, carries the big four plus MRJ !

Last time I went into Kernow MRC, they didn't stock BRM..

He's welcome to do mine anytime. ;) Basics I'm quite good at.

Crumbs, if that's basic I'm giving up!

Anyway, back OT when I first got back into the hobby I found BRM went right over my head.  Now it's the magazine I pick up first unless there's something very good on the cover of the others.  

I still get most of my information from the web, mainly here.  However it's a bit hard using the laptop in the bath!

Hi,

I just brought the November issue as I wanted to see the new layout of the mag and I've got to say well done to the guys on the Warner's team, I like it!

In my opinion, it's modern, clean, well laid out and the amount of information on each page is just right I feel, gives all the info you want but doesn't over fill the page. The only slight constructive comment I would like to make is I feel that the white background to the front cover does make it look slightly unfinished, but it's only a minor point and doesn't detract from my overall view that the new look works and I hope it is a success in the long run

I have to say that the photo of Mr York in the 30 second interview does look like he's been caught unawares and is about to say something rude to the photographer :P

Simon

Finally managed to get my hands on a copy today - it seems that in Hull only Smiths and Tesco now stock it...

Even then, it wasn't easy to find. In Smiths it didn't particularly stand out. It was out of place on the shelves away from the other Railway Modelling mags (ironically in a 'promotional' holder but in front of the bus/commercial vehicles mags!) and there are actually quite a few mags around (all genres) with a red block Title.

On a quick skim through of all the four major titles I bought two BRM and Railway Modeller - the other two dismissed on (lack of) worthwhile content.

Initial first impresions from that quick skim:

• The cover is less cluttered than some recent editions but I'd still simplify further by removing all text/labels from the photo (possibly with the exception of the layout name)
  • Inside, some big photos with a big impact. Generally impression is a shift in balance of photos vs words towards photos.
  • There seem to be a large number of seperate articles, though quite a number of these are only 2-4 pages so a full read will judge whether that is qualtity at the cost of depth of coverage.

I did notice though that on the backing card for the "Free Hornby DVD" (that is mainly an advert for BRM Live) one of the screenshots is prominently titled "HOW Dapol MAKE LOCOMOTIVES" - surely a slightly embarasing oversight atached to a promo for a rival???

I'll add more detailed comment on the internal layout and content when I've read it properly.

Paul

My copy of BRM arrived in the post earlier today and I'm afraid to say my initial impression is that I could easily confuse it with Model Rail!  That said it's printed on better quality paper . . . Hamish

I've just (deliberately) purchased the new BRM, and I agree with the quote above.

I will not be placing a regular order for it, and regrettably, I'm finding it hard to get excited about buying the magazines in general.

However, I will be getting the next issue for the building supplement.

I'm also always a bit suspect of circulation figures - do they contain the ones that end up in the recycle bin at the end of the month?

Depends on whose circulation figures they are. No need to be suspicious of ABC figures as they are independently audited and the figure is only SOLD copies. They can even tell you how many are subs copies, and how many newstrade. Magazines which are not ABC audited can quote whatever figures they like, and usually quote their print run, which is WAY more than they actually sell. 

Archived