87023Velocity

Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001

The wood propping up the Yang Ming container is amazing attention to detail! I like the liner too, all looking excellent.

Tim.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments Duncan and Tim. I wanted alot of this detail to be on for Dallams first show in 2016 but ran out of time! 

Dallam was due to appear at Wigan in October but we decided (I am a member of the Wigan team) a few days ago the only sensible option was to cancel this years show. 

So the next show for Dallam will be Heywood MRC next May then Wigan 2021. 

In the meantime work will continue, plenty of spare time in the evenings (no driving my daughters to dance classes and competitions) should see quite a few items progressed and completed. 

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Coming on nicely Simon. All models are enhanced by a scratch built item, you now have many!

Cheers

Duncan

• Thanks 1

Hi Simon,

Quality scratchbuilding there my friend, really coming along nicely. All these little additions help complete the scene and you really have captured the atmosphere of the area well.

Best regards and stay safe,

Jeremy

• Thanks 1

Lovely stuff Simon as always. You need a pair of 37's in Railfreight distribution livery now just to complete the set! :wink_mini:

• Agree 2

On 13/04/2020 at 16:59, 87023Velocity said:

Made a start on the Worsley Works FGA/FFA etched kits. Went together with not many problems, got additional detail to add which is not included in the kit - air reservoir  handbrake wheels etc. The one completed so far will be a FFA inner, the next 2 will be FGA outers. 

Cheers

Simon

20200413_145038.jpg

20200413_162551.jpg

20200413_162327.jpg

Hi

Inspired by the above post I dug out the Worsley Works Freightliner flats I bought in 2006 and ordered a complete new set along with parts to replace the ones I attempted to build back then.

I used the second picture down on this post for inspiration for the first five flats.

Using the ones I built back in 2006 I experimented with ways to get the correct ride height / buffer height in conjunction with images provided in this thread. In then end I decided to use the 2mm SA ride control bogies as the centre bar is already lower than the sides meaning I didn't need to cut the sides of the NGS bogies. However, there are no suitable 5.1mm diameter N gauge wheels sold by the 2mm SA to fit these bogies so I shortened the axles on the Parkside Dundas wheels.

The bogie pivots were turned on a lathe from 2mm A/F Hex bar and then tapped M2 for the screws. I've also added the ISO mounting points to the sides of the flats along with the air cylinder (again made using the lathe) and distribution valve (TPM). As the prototype photo shows the wagons have the stone shields over the bogies so these were fabricated from 0.2mm brass strip soldered to the underside of the wagon. Plasticard was then super glued to the top to bring the strips level with the top of the body.

Couplings have been added from the NGS coupler sprue mounted on brass strip soldered to the bogie.

I now have another five wagon set to build but first I am going to have a go at building some of the earlier containers including the Manchester Liner one shown in the link.

F7785B32-788A-4630-9C3C-20F606A819E7.jpeg.fcc038fef4b2e2e8ee59cfaf482214a3.jpeg15194E11-AA77-4254-B26E-2D1DD67AE9DE.jpeg.22fcd4d1935fdb8b4c199e42fcdc3296.jpeg

Simon thanks for the inspiration and photos, sorry for the thread hijack.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Given their distinctive curved spokes you'd have thought they could have etched a pair of brake wheels on the fret. There's plenty of room.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

Given their distinctive curved spokes you'd have thought they could have etched a pair of brake wheels on the fret. There's plenty of room.

Hi

Indeed but luckily there are some suitable ones on the Ultima etch. Mine will be added once they are painted.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Simon,

Unlike you to be so quiet for so long, hope all is ok?

Rich