Prototype for everything corner.

I hope this is the correct place for this post, I have done a search but couldn't find another appropriate thread (please advise if I've missed it somewhere). I've found a load of photos dating back as far as the mid '90s from work and I thought I'd share these two on RMweb (others may well follow when I've gone through them all). This may be of particular interest to those modelling in the "modern" era. The photos are taken at Barnsley Station Junction and show the installation of a Tail Light Camera. In the first photo can be seen the camera in the foreground (atop the tall post) and Barnsley Station Junction SB in the background (Barnsley station is behind the camera), the view being generally towards Horbury Jnc.

TL Cam 1 Barnsley Stn Jnc.jpg

In the second photo you can just make out the branch to Huddersfield (via Penistone) diverging to the left (with a 20 mph PSR).

TL Cam 2 Barnsley Stn Jnc.jpg

Although around this time quite a few Tail Light Cameras were being installed, particularly in the Worksop/Shireoaks/Dinnington area, I can only find photos of this installation. If any of the others turn up I'll post on here.

Hope they are of some interest.

Regards, Ian.

Seems a little bit strange to place a camera that close in advance of a SB. All the cameras I have known were in loops in rear of SB's. Was there a particular reason or was the box regularly switched out?

• RMweb Premium

Seems a little bit strange to place a camera that close in advance of a SB. All the cameras I have known were in loops in rear of SB's. Was there a particular reason or was the box regularly switched out?

The reason was the SB was soon due to close, as per the majority of SBs in the Worksop/Shireoaks/Dinnington/Maltby resignalling area where quite a few more TL cameras were installed.

Regards, Ian.

The reason was the SB was soon due to close, as per the majority of SBs in the Worksop/Shireoaks/Dinnington/Maltby resignalling area where quite a few more TL cameras were installed.

Regards, Ian.

I guess that explains it then :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

For those who might be interested in modelling a ground frame, here's a photo of one at Boston. Conveniently (from a modelling perspective), the point rodding and signal wire is hidden in the walkway/level surface. The large grey wooden box to the left is the telephone cabinet (phone in upper half and battery in lower half). The stand-off bracket on the right of the box supports the backboard onto which is an indicator light (left) and a 'release' plunger (right). The grey wooden box in the background (side-on as it were) contains the signalling circuitry).

The information on the lever plates (from L to R) are;

1st (Blue/Brown) "1 Release Lever Released By West Street Signalbox"

2nd (Black) "2 Points Up Platform to Up Siding"

3rd (Red) "3 Signal Up Siding to Up Platform".

post-32776-0-77186300-1523204268_thumb.jpg

Regards, Ian.

• Like 4

For those who might be interested in modelling a ground frame,

attachicon.gifBoston GF.jpg

Regards, Ian.

This may be "stupid question time" but at a GF, there is obviously a man operating it.  In which case, also given that GFs have very low levels of traffic - or they would be controlled from a full signalbox, why is it necessary to have a signal controlled from the GF?  Surely a handsignal would suffice?

Unless, it is simply a left-over from a more complete set-up.

Part of Boston guards duties used to be to operate that groundframe to get units in and out of the sidings. That set of sidings is no longer in use although I think it's still available, units being stabled on the opposite side of the line in sidings controlled from West Street box.

The siding might have only limited traffic, but not necessarily so the main line. The booby needs to know that the section containing the GF is clear once a train is inside, and the guard that he is clear to open the GF to get back on to the main line, which he couldn't do until the bobby clears it. Corroboration between the frame and box is essential, although the site of the frame might not warrant a separate box in its own right.

I hope this is the correct place for this post, I have done a search but couldn't find another appropriate thread (please advise if I've missed it somewhere). I've found a load of photos dating back as far as the mid '90s from work and I thought I'd share these two on RMweb (others may well follow when I've gone through them all). This may be of particular interest to those modelling in the "modern" era. The photos are taken at Barnsley Station Junction and show the installation of a Tail Light Camera. In the first photo can be seen the camera in the foreground (atop the tall post) and Barnsley Station Junction SB in the background (Barnsley station is behind the camera), the view being generally towards Horbury Jnc.

attachicon.gifTL Cam 1 Barnsley Stn Jnc.jpg

In the second photo you can just make out the branch to Huddersfield (via Penistone) diverging to the left (with a 20 mph PSR).

attachicon.gifTL Cam 2 Barnsley Stn Jnc.jpg

Although around this time quite a few Tail Light Cameras were being installed, particularly in the Worksop/Shireoaks/Dinnington area, I can only find photos of this installation. If any of the others turn up I'll post on here.

Hope they are of some interest.

Regards, Ian.

There was one put in on the down at Droitwich for trains coming from Worcester at the Worcester end of the platform. At the same time an extra stop signal was put in between Worcester Tunnel Jcn and Droitwich that allowed a train to enter the section from Worcester when the signalman had seen the tail lamp of a train arriving in the Down Platform at Droitwich in the camera. This saved ahell of a lot of time as it meant trains didn't have to wait at Tunnel Jcn for trains to pass Droitwich SB and the signalman see the tail lamp.

Paul J. 

Edited to clarify part of the post.

Edited by Swindon 123
  • Like 1

Signals  controlled  from  the  ground  frame  can  serve  a  useful  purpose.

They  can  be  interlocked  with  the  pointwork  or  use  detection.

Pointwork  not  set  correctly,  they  cant  be  pulled.  A  hand  signal  can  be  given  any  time  and  mistakes  do  happen.

Pete

There where three ground frames at Hereford. One controlled access into the bay sidings inadjacent to Platform 4, one into the yard and the other access into the two Down Refuges. They all controlled signals in addition to points, and in the case of Brecon Gurve ground frame, a trailing crossover between the up and down lines. Certain moves where signalled, whilst others required handsignals. The Yard and Down Refuge round frames also controlled lights that could signal drivers to move where sighting due to track curvature meant it was impossible to see handsignals from the ground frame. The plans below show the relevent ground frames and signals and points controlled from each. I know the Yard ground frame was unlocked by a key (Annets key I think) released from Hereford box, and I think the other two where the same, but I never operated them, so I'm not 100% sure.

post-7146-0-02185500-1523284820_thumb.jpg

post-7146-0-54994100-1523284849_thumb.jpg

The shunting light on the Up line, for Brecon Curve ground frame, Hereford.

post-7146-0-46397600-1523285252_thumb.jpg

(Edited to add photo).

Paul J.

Edited by Swindon 123
  • Like 1

It's 2018, and within the space of 15 mins this afternoon I saw a Deltic (BR blue), two 40s (1x green, 1x blue) and two 47s (1x Scotrail, 1x Colas) passing Rotherham.

Admittedly one 47 and the 40s were being towed, but the graph of "average age of trains nearby" showed a temporary spike.

47749 City of Truro:

post-6971-0-41353300-1523288917.jpg

D9009 Alycidon and friends:

post-6971-0-53879800-1523288918.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Couldn't decide whether to post these photos on the Locomotive Portraits thread, Cakebox Challenge thread, or some other thread - so I've plumped for this one. Three photos of the "entrance" to Boston Docks. Lots to consider from a modelling perspective; the 08, the gates, the crane, the signal, the signal/gate box (not sure of its correct title, maybe someone can confirm please?).

post-32776-0-96873700-1523303712_thumb.jpg

A closer view of the 08, gate, signal and 'box.

post-32776-0-58684400-1523303713_thumb.jpg

How many tail lamps can you fit on/into your 08? Also lots of other various items; tin of grease, wooden chocks, point clip, etc., etc., - even a cuddly toy (wearing appropriate HV vest!). 

post-32776-0-44469100-1523303714_thumb.jpg

Once again, hope they provide some interest.

Regards, Ian.

• Like 12

Signals  controlled  from  the  ground  frame  can  serve  a  useful  purpose.

They  can  be  interlocked  with  the  pointwork  or  use  detection.

Pointwork  not  set  correctly,  they  cant  be  pulled.  A  hand  signal  can  be  given  any  time  and  mistakes  do  happen.

Pete

Melton Junction Ground frame which gives access from the Up Peterborough to the Up and Down Asfordby, leading to the Old Dalby Test Track, has a ground signal (#4) which is cleared for this very purpose.  The move it signals is from the Up Main (Down direction) to the branch but is cleared to confirm that the point and its associated trap is set for the reverse move, too.  I'll snap a couple of shots on Wednesday if anyone is interested.#

Cheers, Andy.

Couldn't decide whether to post these photos on the Locomotive Portraits thread, Cakebox Challenge thread, or some other thread - so I've plumped for this one. Three photos of the "entrance" to Boston Docks. Lots to consider from a modelling perspective; the 08, the gates, the crane, the signal, the signal/gate box (not sure of its correct title, maybe someone can confirm please?).

attachicon.gifBoston Docks1.jpg

A closer view of the 08, gate, signal and 'box.

attachicon.gifBoston Docks2.jpg

How many tail lamps can you fit on/into your 08? Also lots of other various items; tin of grease, wooden chocks, point clip, etc., etc., - even a cuddly toy (wearing appropriate HV vest!). 

attachicon.gifBoston Docks3.jpg

Once again, hope they provide some interest.

Regards, Ian.

AFAIK it was just called The Octaganal Signal Box, it works the signals, level crossing and the swing bridge.

Still in use today.

Small snippet here http://forum.signalbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=505

I think it was part of the Belmont Hibernian project. Ten ex Irish Rail mk 3s operate a luxury tour train round Ireland.

I hadn't twigged that Eastleigh had a hand in those - though IE made it clear that they wanted nothing more to do with MkIIIs so Inchicore didn't get a look in.

• Like 1

Clayton on Thunderbird duty!

Repost..

Clayton Type 1 (Class 17) No. D8616 awaits departure from Larbert with a failed GRCW (Class 100) 2-car DMU forming the 09.11 Falkirk Grahamston to Stirling on 23rd March, 1970. The DMU had failed at Falkirk.

Photo / abbrv narrative Jim Binnieattachicon.gifFB_IMG_1523601187172.jpg

....... c'mon - surely it's got to be the railcar rescuing the Clayton !

• RMweb Premium

Maybe the attached photo of Bellwater Jnc SB may be of interest to modellers if you need to "cram" in as much as you can into a fairly short space. A signal box, a level crossing, a trailing crossover with one set of points on the level crossing, and only just off the level crossing a bridge over a river - and even a signal in the distance. Perhaps the only things missing are a platform or two and a siding!

post-32776-0-36313200-1523740420_thumb.jpg

Regards, Ian.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Maybe the attached photo of Bellwater Jnc SB may be of interest to modellers if you need to "cram" in as much as you can into a fairly short space. A signal box, a level crossing, a trailing crossover with one set of points on the level crossing, and only just off the level crossing a bridge over a river - and even a signal in the distance. Perhaps the only things missing are a platform or two and a siding!

attachicon.gifBellwater Junction SB.jpg

Regards, Ian.

Looking the other way there is even a double junction to cram in as well:

https://signalbox.org/forum_files/bellwaterjcn-28-3-67%5bcoNA%5d.jpg

https://www.signalbox.org/diagrams/bellwaterjcn1913.jpg

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Looking the other way there is even a double junction to cram in as well:

.jpg]https://signalbox.org/forum_files/bellwaterjcn-28-3-67[coNA].jpg

https://www.signalbox.org/diagrams/bellwaterjcn1913.jpg

Keith

Thanks Keith,

Very nice photo of the junction, although it had gone by the time of my photo of the 'box - an obvious, and perhaps unforgivable, ommission from my "missing" list given the name of the 'box.

Regards, Ian.