Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium

When you've run out of coal

attachicon.gif13888922918_653918b82f_z.jpg

Book your flights to Ogden , May 9th is sheduled for 4014's return to traffic with the loco hopefully appearing the next day for the 150th anniversary of the completion of the transcontinental line. It will then spend several months on tour.

Mark Twain claimed Egyptian mummies were used for loco fuel on Egyptian steam locos! :yes: :sarcastic:

Keith

Also a candidate for "When the real thing looks like a model".

Agreed, I thought it was a model until I enlarged the photo. All needs weathering! Especially the plastic hut and strangely placed people cutting across the track.

Paul

YEP ! ........ a bloomin BIG tender ( not suitable for first radius curves by the way ) ......

attachicon.gif2389.08 ; DSC_0652.JPG

......... but you'll not get many people in it - nor run out of coal - when the loco's an oil-burner !

Bloomin 'eck that is big. Hadn't noticed it was an oiler, my bad.

When you've run out of coal

13888922918_653918b82f_z.jpg

Book your flights to Ogden , May 9th is sheduled for 4014's return to traffic with the loco hopefully appearing the next day for the 150th anniversary of the completion of the transcontinental line. It will then spend several months on tour.

If I remember right, the diesel locos they used for that move were numbered 4014 and 4884.

I'm not a fan of the borg since they assimilated the SP, but they've got style.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just flicking through a book and found a nice picture from the anything goes era of mid-1960s Birmingham. 

4555 in its GWR repaint at the time of sale for preservation heading a local passenger train. It doesn't have a location given but I think from memory it is on the Up Main just south of Acocks Green Station. The train has seven coaches, all look to be Mk1s except for the second one which is a Porthole SK

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just flicking through a book and found a nice picture from the anything goes era of mid-1960s Birmingham. 

4555 in its GWR repaint at the time of sale for preservation heading a local passenger train. It doesn't have a location given but I think from memory it is on the Up Main just south of Acocks Green Station. The train has seven coaches, all look to be Mk1s except for the second one which is a Porthole SK

Another picture of it here:

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrbsh39.htm

A nice mixed batch of vans to identify!

Keith

Edit

There's another picture of it in Pat Whitehouse's "150 Glorious Years" working a Class 7 mixed freight south through Hatton in late '64

Nominally withdrawn from Laira in 1963, after repaint it was temporarily allocated to Tyseley where it was used as a normal stock loco for a while before heading off to preservation.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It worked through Snow Hill a lot that year. I posted a picture of it subbing for a Class 128, hauling a BG and GUV, in the parcel train thread.

The Class 7 train mentioned may have been the time it was reported to have rescued a failed train and by the time it was relieved at Leamington it had virtually no water left in the tanks

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

• RMweb Gold

........ mainly B.R. standards with a couple of different LMS types near the front and one of Southern origin further back and ........... and my eyesight gives up at that point ............

So what type of brake van is at the rear? ;)

So what type of brake van is at the rear? ;)

A four-wheeled twenty tonner !

( I nearly said there wasn't one 'cos the train's fully fitted an' the guard's in the loco's rear cab ................................ but that's obviously wrong-  as a 'van was still compulsory for another five years or so ! )

• RMweb Premium

The ultimate open access.   I think I would pass on using this service https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-46828430/manila-s-trolley-boys

Don't give the politicians over here ideas. :no:

"East Midlands Trollies announce the 14:15 service to Derby"

"West Midland Trollies apologies for the fast running of the 0930 Barnt Green to Bromsgrove - Customers are urged to hold on tight"

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Just idly browsing, and, as you do, wondered if 25kv leccies ever met ex-LNER steam.

See Here:

38537370011_bbff8a4e09_k.jpgBWR0480 61329 + E3139 ( BRAND NEW ) PASSING DERBY ST MARYS GOODS DEPOT EN ROUTE DONCASTER - CREWE FRI 07.01.1966 by David Russon, on Flickr

Regards

Ian

What's going on with the rail that's balanced on what looks like temporary wooden(?) blocks in the foreground? 3rd-rail-esque.

• Like 1

post-5683-0-28562700-1547216959_thumb.jpg

Bridge over a busy road on your layout but the track goes nowhere?

https://goo.gl/maps/E3qJmrgkFSH2

https://goo.gl/maps/zg4UK94dxUp

Keith

Just noticed this one of St Moritz on the RhB.  The road was built later than the headshunt but the reason the headshunt is that long is that through coach sets from the RhB in Chur to Tirano on the Berninabahn had to be shunted from the RhB line top right to the Berninabahn bottom right (Not all the through sets/trains went via the Samedan to Pontressina branch)

Tm 24 transfering Bernina Express set to RhB 9Apr2001

Ernie

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gif950 St Moritz Tm'24 transfering Bernina Express set 9apr2001 img127.jpg

Just noticed this one of St Moritz on the RhB.  The road was built later than the headshunt but the reason the headshunt is that long is that through coach sets from the RhB in Chur to Tirano on the Berninabahn had to be shunted from the RhB line top right to the Berninabahn bottom right (Not all the through sets/trains went via the Samedan to Pontressina branch)

Tm 24 transfering Bernina Express set to RhB 9Apr2001

Ernie

The problem with St Moritz station is that the trackwork isn't really arranged for easy transfer between the two differently powered halves of the station.

There is no direct platform-platform link line and a bit of shunting is necessary.

Maybe a voltage switchable platform between the two.

Meiringen has a switchable section between the Interlaken Luzern line and the MIB for stock transfer.

Keith

Just idly browsing, and, as you do, wondered if 25kv leccies ever met ex-LNER steam.

See Here:

38537370011_bbff8a4e09_k.jpgBWR0480 61329 + E3139 ( BRAND NEW ) PASSING DERBY ST MARYS GOODS DEPOT EN ROUTE DONCASTER - CREWE FRI 07.01.1966 by David Russon, on Flickr

Regards

Ian

Charing Cross to Derby trains cancelled after finding 3rd rail placed to high   :jester:

The ultimate open access.   I think I would pass on using this service https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-46828430/manila-s-trolley-boys

Announcement:

"Welcome on board. First class is at the front of the train, second class at the rear. At-seat refreshments in first class, and a trolley service will be available in second class... Correction: forget that bit about first class - the trolley service is all you're getting"