Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

I could understand doing that with a diesel hydraulic but that's an EMD GT22CW!

Speed is what is important. The displacement at that speed means you cut a channel through the water, not only that but as traction motors are positive pressure cooled, very little water will get in. As for juction boxes, you'll find snow is worse than water.

Same goes for road vehicles, the slower you go the more likely you will come to grief. Both cases though have the risk of not being able to see a submerged obstacle.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Davexoc said:

Speed is what is important. The displacement at that speed means you cut a channel through the water, not only that but as traction motors are positive pressure cooled, very little water will get in. As for juction boxes, you'll find snow is worse than water.

Same goes for road vehicles, the slower you go the more likely you will come to grief. Both cases though have the risk of not being able to see a submerged obstacle.

Don’t you believe it. The faster you go through flooding with a car the greater the chance of picking up a bit of water through the air intake. If you do suck any water in through the air intake you can whistle goodbye to your engine.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Chris M said:

Don’t you believe it. The faster you go through flooding with a car the greater the chance of picking up a bit of water through the air intake. If you do suck any water in through the air intake you can whistle goodbye to your engine.

I did that with a TR6 , although I was going through quite gingerly.

BL Triumph in their wisdom had put the air intakes at the bottom of the radiator, so 6" water was enough to drown the engine.

When a cylinder got water in it stopped the engine instantly, It ended up bending one con-rod, afterwards I was able to drive the car cautiously to get home

One of my neighbours drove his BMW X7 through some floodwater and it needed a new engine, he was none too chuffed that an "off-roader" was so fragile.

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

BL Triumph in their wisdom had put the air intakes at the bottom of the radiator, so 6" water was enough to drown the engine.

When a cylinder got water in it stopped the engine instantly, It ended up bending one con-rod, afterwards I was able to drive the car cautiously to get home

One of my neighbours drove his BMW X7 through some floodwater and it needed a new engine, he was none too chuffed that an "off-roader" was so fragile.

Yup, did that in my Chrysler. Misjudged just how low the intake was, and that was it. Was taking it easy, with the revs at just over 1,000RPM and wound up snapping a conrod in half and bent another! Asked the guys in the garage if I would've been better going through quicker, and was told that I'd have likely put a piston through the block if I had.

Piston.JPG.72fb62a1cf1fb82c123eb86e742960eb.JPG

Engine was rebuilt and I got to keep these as a reminder. Took me about a year before I dared to drive it in the rain again!

Andy.

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, melmerby said:

Which is about what you'd expect from the sort of bloke who buys a BMW X7.  He'll probably wreck it as soon as there's some snow for him to show off on.  

• RMweb Gold

I would advise very strongly against driving through floods at anything but the slowest speed.  Hitting the water is almost as violent as hitting a brick wall, and you may cause physical damage to your car as well as flooding the engine.  Hi revs and low speed are your friends it you absolutely must try it, a diversion to avoid the flood is usually a much better idea.  Hug the centre of the road where the camber makes the water less deep.  Slip the clutch and go dead slow with the engine running fast, and if the air intake for the engine can be kept above water level, the exhaust pressure should prevent water backing up the exhaust pipe, and should you have to abandon the attempt and wade out because you've hit an underwater obstruction, you will have hit it gently and not caused any damage.  

This is the real problem; you can't see the road, don't really know how deep the water is, and don't know what debris the flood has deposited in your path.  If you get through to the other side successfully, 'try' the brakes a few times to dry them out and don't proceed with your journey until braking performance is fully restored.  If water has got inside the car, you'll need a full professional cleaning and the carpet drying out properly.  As soon as you can, check under the vehicle and in the engine compartment for debris picked up.

If you failed and had to abandon the vehicle, try to push it clear of the flood if you can.  Don't try to restart the engine until it has thoroughly dried out.  The failure has probably been caused by water affecting the electrics, and these will need to be dried out as well.  Count your blessings that you weren't driving a train; it's driver doesn't even know if the track is still there...

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

I would advise very strongly against driving through floods at anything but the slowest speed.  Hitting the water is almost as violent as hitting a brick wall, and you may cause physical damage to your car as well as flooding the engine.  Hi revs and low speed are your friends it you absolutely must try it, a diversion to avoid the flood is usually a much better idea.  Hug the centre of the road where the camber makes the water less deep.  Slip the clutch and go dead slow with the engine running fast, and if the air intake for the engine can be kept above water level, the exhaust pressure should prevent water backing up the exhaust pipe, and should you have to abandon the attempt and wade out because you've hit an underwater obstruction, you will have hit it gently and not caused any damage.  

This is the real problem; you can't see the road, don't really know how deep the water is, and don't know what debris the flood has deposited in your path.  If you get through to the other side successfully, 'try' the brakes a few times to dry them out and don't proceed with your journey until braking performance is fully restored.  If water has got inside the car, you'll need a full professional cleaning and the carpet drying out properly.  As soon as you can, check under the vehicle and in the engine compartment for debris picked up.

If you failed and had to abandon the vehicle, try to push it clear of the flood if you can.  Don't try to restart the engine until it has thoroughly dried out.  The failure has probably been caused by water affecting the electrics, and these will need to be dried out as well.  Count your blessings that you weren't driving a train; it's driver doesn't even know if the track is still there...

The other thing about driving through water quickly is that you create more wash. No problem for you but it can completely b****r anyone coming the other way - as well as damaging banks and hedgerows.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

The other thing about driving through water quickly is that you create more wash. No problem for you but it can completely b****r anyone coming the other way - as well as damaging banks and hedgerows.

It was working well for me till the person coming the other way decided to start coming towards me and made me brake so as not to hit him!

At least in did not reach the turbo or block!

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Which is about what you'd expect from the sort of bloke who buys a BMW X7.  He'll probably wreck it as soon as there's some snow for him to show off on.  

It was I believe his first BMW. He went back to a Range Rover which would go through that depth of water without incident.

He now has a chunky Merc of some sort (I'm not familiar with the models!)

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

It was I believe his first BMW. He went back to a Range Rover which would go through that depth of water without incident.

He now has a chunky Merc of some sort (I'm not familiar with the models!)

Yeah, sounds like the type...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 05/05/2019 at 21:43, Davexoc said:

I’ve only ever had One traction motor flashover and that was on a class 67 in the snow

i had been driving through freshly settled loose, non compacted snow which just blew up under the train as I went along covering the traction motors with snow and ice before going ‘flash bang’ 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

18 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

A very steep gradient and sharp curve on the approach to the hidden sidings under the main station.

My pictures taken in Salzburg, Austria 9th May 2019.

20190509_111755.jpg

Nice to see people are still building C J Freezer plans ;).

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, bobthesod4479 said:

Re the Indian monsoon

Very rare shot of an indian train without roof riders (lol)

Serious question Now

How many carriages was he hauling? it seemed to go on forever

23+. I counted 22 or 23, plus any missing ones when the videoer turned away at the start to avoid his equipment getting wet. A normal load for an Indian inter-city service...

• RMweb Gold
On 11/05/2019 at 17:56, bobthesod4479 said:

You tend not to get roof riders on electrified lines in India, as even the most uneducated know that 25kV is not conducive to a long life.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/05/2019 at 17:56, bobthesod4479 said:

You tend not to get roof riders on electrified lines in India, as even the most uneducated know that 25kV is not conducive to a long life.

• Agree 1