Jump to content

jonny777

Prototype for everything corner.

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, LMS2968 said:

Bloody pigeons!

Don't you mean seagulls?  That's Hull.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Don't you mean seagulls?  That's Hull.

The technical term is shitehawk

  • Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Don't you mean seagulls?  That's Hull.

That's a bit of a long way even for the most enthusiastic of Saltley men.

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those of you modelling the current scene will have to paint the track VERY carefully now, witness the PW at Navigation Road Greater Manchester; see below

 

IMG_20200125_101138.jpg

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, paulbb said:

Those of you modelling the current scene will have to paint the track VERY carefully now, witness the PW at Navigation Road Greater Manchester; see below

 

IMG_20200125_101138.jpg

 

or these G-clamps on the left hand rail and blue clips,

starts from 3:30 in.

 

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you run out of pressfix letters half way through your early 1950s loco detailing attempt?  

 

Fear not, there is always a prototype example....

 

 

 

2020-01-28-0001.jpg.68d50ce56f83adcfe9c5e4b6d32765ad.jpg

 

 

 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eastern modellers have been crying out for a RTR J6 for ages.  If anyone does take the plunge, let's hope they do the 3 tender version.

 

64179. Dukeries Junction 1951.

 

 

  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/01/2020 at 12:51, paulbb said:

Those of you modelling the current scene will have to paint the track VERY carefully now, witness the PW at Navigation Road Greater Manchester; see below

 

IMG_20200125_101138.jpg

I wouldn't bother, if they are copper (or people think they are copper) they will be gone in a few weeks..

 

jh

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mel_H said:

Got a NSE 47 and no coaches for it?

 

Not what the Marketing people envisaged! The rather incongruous sight of NSE-liveried 47583 County of Hertfordshire hauling scrap wagons through Derby on 5th February 1988.

 

 

5857453213_87dcf296b4_b.jpg47583 - Derby by Syd Young, on Flickr

 

 

Always good to see. A passenger sector loco on a freight and there might be a freight sector loco on a passenger train somewhere else.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Not what the Marketing people envisaged! The rather incongruous sight of NSE-liveried 47583 County of Hertfordshire hauling scrap wagons through Derby on 5th February 1988.

 

Reminds me of a more contemporary one I saw last week on the Airedale line at Bingley, Belmond 'Royal Scotsman' 66 on a quarry train of graffiti-covered loaded stone opens...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

 

Always good to see. A passenger sector loco on a freight and there might be a freight sector loco on a passenger train somewhere else.

So long as it's not in the 'heating season' ................... hopefully !

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Mel_H said:

Got a NSE 47 and no coaches for it?

 

Not what the Marketing people envisaged! The rather incongruous sight of NSE-liveried 47583 County of Hertfordshire hauling scrap wagons through Derby on 5th February 1988.

 

 

5857453213_87dcf296b4_b.jpg47583 - Derby by Syd Young, on Flickr

 

NSE livery; how to make respectable trains look like street market trainers. A victory of lack of style over substance. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wickham Green said:

So long as it's not in the 'heating season' ................... hopefully !

 

By that time it was take what you can get, whenever you can get it. No heat was key.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/01/2020 at 22:14, Mel_H said:

Got a NSE 47 and no coaches for it?

 

Not what the Marketing people envisaged! The rather incongruous sight of NSE-liveried 47583 County of Hertfordshire hauling scrap wagons through Derby on 5th February 1988.

 

 

5857453213_87dcf296b4_b.jpg47583 - Derby by Syd Young, on Flickr

 

 

Being pedantic, they are engineers spoil wagons, probably being moved ready for a weekend possesion, possibly even back into NSE territory.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/01/2020 at 12:51, paulbb said:

Those of you modelling the current scene will have to paint the track VERY carefully now, witness the PW at Navigation Road Greater Manchester; see below

 

IMG_20200125_101138.jpg

Paint the track carefully, yes - but just tip the ballast out all over the place....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/01/2020 at 13:46, Metr0Land said:

Eastern modellers have been crying out for a RTR J6 for ages.  If anyone does take the plunge, let's hope they do the 3 tender version.

 

64179. Dukeries Junction 1951.

 

 

How would you couple two extra tenders in a goods train?

Surely the loco end is just a draw bar and water & brake pipe connections?

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

How would you couple two extra tenders in a goods train?

Surely the loco end is just a draw bar and water & brake pipe connections?

 

Given where the photo is taken (hard water area) it wouldn't surprise me if the tenders are sludge tenders used in association with loco water treatment. These generally had buffing gear etc added at the 'loco' end. See for example this flickr link:https://www.flickr.com/photos/trains-travel/35299869076

 

 

However, there may be another explanation.

 

Simon

Edited by 65179
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could generally tell a sludge tender as a seemingly high proportion of said sludge tended to be carried on its outer faces rather than in the tank. However, another Railway, the L&YR, often suffered water shortages at one of its outposts, Blackpool, and whole trains of detached tenders full of water would make their way there from Preston. Perhaps the ER had a similar shortage?

 

Alternatively, the second tender appears very clean (as does the loco) so possibly ex-works on its way to a shed for a tender swop. The state of the third tender doesn't really add credence to this theory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, LMS2968 said:

You could generally tell a sludge tender as a seemingly high proportion of said sludge tended to be carried on its outer faces rather than in the tank. However, another Railway, the L&YR, often suffered water shortages at one of its outposts, Blackpool, and whole trains of detached tenders full of water would make their way there from Preston. Perhaps the ER had a similar shortage?

 

Alternatively, the second tender appears very clean (as does the loco) so possibly ex-works on its way to a shed for a tender swop. The state of the third tender doesn't really add credence to this theory.

The loco looks ex-works or not long out of the works. The 2nd tender is lettered British Railways (The loco tender has the bicycling lion) and the third is either blank or so filthy it appears so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

How would you couple two extra tenders in a goods train?

Surely the loco end is just a draw bar and water & brake pipe connections?

They often had the bolt-holes drilled for buffing gear; I remember a number of tender underframes at our local steelworks had some wnere buffers had replaced the loco- tender drawgear. 

As for coupling within a train, loco-end to loco-end would work...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.