Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Gold

This trackwork is to allow two vehicles (trains) to pass each other, (at the half way point), with out having to have points with moving parts and signalling.

One train will have double flanged wheels on the left with wider roller wheels on the right. This train will always follow the left hand rail.

The other train will have double flanged wheels on the right with wider roller wheels on the left. This train will always follow the right hand rail. - and never the twain shall meet! The rope uses one train to counterbalance the other.

Kev.

Are the trains turned at each end, or do the points work equally well in the other direction for each 'handed' train?

Edit: Forget that - I've just re-read the post...

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Premium

Not quite all - but plenty ! ........................ the one bottom right appears to lead to a totally unnecessary single-blade trap point - I guess something's been removed beyond it !

It's Boston South Terminal, 1904

The tracks at far bottom right go to the low level (loop) station, which by this time had been abandoned, hence the cutting of the main line access.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

And the gaps in the rails are for the rope to pass through.

No rope visible suggests it is currently out of use.

Keith

If this photo is facing downhill and both vehicles are in the crossing loop then no rope would be present at the turnout.

Perhaps the photographer was on board one vehicle.

• RMweb Premium

If this photo is facing downhill and both vehicles are in the crossing loop then no rope would be present at the turnout.

Perhaps the photographer was on board one vehicle.

You are correct.

Just beyond the crossing there is a wall visible and if the capstones are horizontal(ish) the track is definitely going downhill.

(For some reason I assumed it was looking up the hill!)

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

On the other hand:

(from a crappy video of mine)

Cairngorm Railway bottom of passing loop:

post-6208-0-70221700-1545091319.jpg

Cairngorm Railway top of passing loop

post-6208-0-70886600-1545091336.jpg

Note the ropes both sides.

I believe the winding drum is unusually at the bottom.

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

That looks like the Schwebebahn (above) and its neighbour the Standseilbahn in Dresden (the "Bergbahnen" - hill railways).  They are part of the local public transport network - see here: https://www.dvb.de/de-de/entdecken/bergbahnen/

Unlike the better known Wuppertal Schwebebahn it operates like a funicular with rope haulage and the two cars counterbalanced around a drum at the top.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dresden_Suspension_Railway

Keith

Some steam locos were notoriously under-braked and it's a wonder nobody invented the brake tender earlier ........... redundant loco tenders - suitably ballasted - would be the obvious way to do it ................ but a - revenue earning - fitted head was always a better option.

The 'revenue earning brake tender' was a reality on the GNR's and subsequently LNER's coal traffic between Peterborough and London, from the general introduction of the vacuum braked bogie brick wagons in 1920. (I have been told by a retired driver that it was customary to run them down empty unbraked, as the 16T tare weight - just 4T per axle - would have resulted in wheelflats from anything but the most slight brake application.) With their nominal load of 50T of brick, the wagon would have braked consistently with the loco and tender on the up trains when the extra brake power will have been very welcome.

Only ever saw these wagons on their less dignified final work, loaded with London's rubbish and tarped over, on their way to worked out quarry pits for tipping

• RMweb Premium

Just watching the webcam above, an SNCF double deck TGV arrived, but the rear power car looked more like it was one of the older (single-deck-style) ones, is such a thing possible?  I only had one eye on it, and it was at a sharp angle, but it looked different in profile to the front one.  Or am I seeing things?

Edited by JDW

• RMweb Premium

The best track plan I can find is Sporenplan Online, which may be out of date:

http://www.sporenplan.nl/

You need to navigate through to Switzerland and there is an enormous pdf of a very large area which you can enlarge to see the detail.

There is a fixed webcam looking over the south side of the station but since it's installation a tower block has been built in front obscuring most of the view:

https://www.webcams.travel/webcam/fullscreen/1429170326

Another page gets you to these:

http://railwebcams.net/zurich-main-railway-station-webcam/

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

OK if that is a live webcam how come it is still bright daylight at 5pm local time in mid December, think it is more likely to have been a camera loop taken in summer

But if you look at the links I posted today, thay are live.

Keith

With some Class 71 models being discounted, they would make a good addition to an East Anglian layout

24627573728_d4a6d30844_z.jpg71019,71014 and 31235 at Shepreth Branch Jnc, Ashford - Doncaster. 08.08.79. by Freight Frog, on Flickr

I remember seeing a couple of 71's in Temple Mills Yard when I was on my Traction Trainee course in June 1979, might have been those two. I have a couple of fuses liberated from one of them. About 10 times the size of you 13 amp ones.

Paul J.

• Like 2

Have you got signal wires on your layout? Do they run past the end of the platform ramp? J

ust use a redundant length of old cast-iron drain pipe and thread the signal wire through it. Job done!

Not sure if it's intended use is to prevent a tripping hazard (from the signal wire) or as a "kerb" for the edge of the tarmac ramp. I suggest it is working better as the former.

I've seen orange plastic pipe used for this purpose, upturned concrete troughing and even concrete "Propane" inverts, but this is new one on me. I suppose it does adequately serve the purpose. Taken at Gilberdyke today, at the country (Hull) end of platform 1.

DSC06719.JPG

DSC06723.JPG

Regards, Ian.

The wire for Greenfield jn distant used to run through one of these where moorgate footcrossing crossed over .would regulaly open the box on a monday morning to find the wire jammed by bits of wood or ballast placed there by local yoofs over the weekend

The wire for Greenfield jn distant used to run through one of these where moorgate footcrossing crossed over .would regulaly open the box on a monday morning to find the wire jammed by bits of wood or ballast placed there by local yoofs over the weekend

Always a good 'alarm' for when a train was coming from Huddersfield. The noise of the wire rubbing on the pipe, when the signal came 'off', was very distinctive.

• Like 1