N gauge Class 17 'Clayton' Locomotive

DJM Dave

Thanks Dave, yes that satisfies my curiosity.

So in pedant mode for a moment (sorry!), to manage mine and others' expectations as far as delivery is concerned what is being shown at this stage is test shots (and very good they look too) of key body components rather than a complete and working 1st EP.

When do you hope to have a complete and running example to test? Based on what we have been shown today I am hoping it not too far away!

Kind Regards

Roy

Hi Roy,

Due to the push that was on, it's just 'bits' of 1st ep moulding.

The model won't be released to 2nd ep until I've seen, tested, tested again, and then probably teased some more just to make sure, a completed, running 1st ep.

Once that's done, you pretty much know the rest.

Cheers

Dave

Having seen, held and gently stroked the class 17, I'm pleased to confirm that the latest DJM vapourware will be on display at Perth tomorrow (Saturday) morning from 10.30am

Anymore of this bringing new models out malarkey, and those doubting thomases with nothing good to say about anything, might just shut up for a change and realise I'm here and staying here.

Now where's that vapourware gif when you need it? Anyone? Lol

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

Have you any thoughts of doing them in 00 gauge to compliment the Heljan one

Thanks

Alan

The interesting thing for me is just how many batches Heljan have released - we're up to the high teens now, aren't we? Even if they only make 500 of each, it's a phenomenally more popular prototype than I had expected.

Hence my only half-joking question about 0 gauge (and I'm surprised Heljan haven't produced one themselves yet).

Paul

• RMweb Premium

While the Clayton's weren't a particularly good design they were a very good looking locomotive and they saw service in one of the more popular eras for modelling. Not sure that explains the seeming popularity of the Heljan model though.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

Thanks

Alan

That sounds like business madness to me. The Heljan 00 Class 17 is pretty good and I am not convinced a rival model is needed.

Roy

• Like 2

I'll buy them in N gauge, but I do rather like the idea of an O gauge one as well. The price would be rather high for Dave to make though, and I wouldn't be surprised if Heljan announce a 17 to compliment their recent O gauge range before Dave has the opportunity

Will there be any room inside to have sound ?

Somewhere earlier in this thread there was mention of there being room for a speaker inside the fuel tank.

See post #107.  If I understood it correctly, some minor modification will be required by the purchaser who wants to fit sound.

Matt

Edited by oreamnos

Hi Matt,

Thanks for posting that and that was correct information.

Unfortunately the size of the motor and pcb means the pcb and decoder point is within the fuel tank now.

This is disappointing to me, but those, me included, who want a sugar cube speaker will need to fit them within the cab, thereby the cab will be filled when doing so. Otherwise on just DC or DCC the cab is empty to just below the bottom of the cab side wondows.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Matt,

Thanks for posting that and that was correct information.

Unfortunately the size of the motor and pcb means the pcb and decoder point is within the fuel tank now.

This is disappointing to me, but those, me included, who want a sugar cube speaker will need to fit them within the cab, thereby the cab will be filled when doing so. Otherwise on just DC or DCC the cab is empty to just below the bottom of the cab side wondows.

Cheers

Dave

Presumably if you run a pair, as long as there is pickup and a DCC socket in the dummy, you could surely have one powered and the other fitted with a plug and play Zimo sound chip and microcube/sugarcube speaker where the motor would otherwise go? Same DCC address and settings, just like a DMU works effectively?

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

Thanks

Alan

Might be wiser than compete head on with another manufacturer to take up the challenge of a Class 29 or 21 posed by Revolution who thought it would be a non starter and have publicly backed down in N gauge, as its most unlikely that Dapol will entertain this with a reduction in their N gauge projects.

However, with a number of Scottish types catered for already there is room and a demand surely for both Classes 29/21 and a Class 24/1 too. Are you listening Dave, it was your idea for me to publish Looking back at Class 24 & 25 Locomotives which has sold out and to do Looking back at Class 26 & 27 Locomotives which will sell out soon too...

Kevin

Might be wiser than compete head on with another manufacturer to take up the challenge of a Class 29 or 21 posed by Revolution who thought it would be a non starter and have publicly backed down in N gauge, as its most unlikely that Dapol will entertain this with a reduction in their N gauge projects.

However, with a number of Scottish types catered for already there is room and a demand surely for both Classes 29/21 and a Class 24/1 too. Are you listening Dave, it was your idea for me to publish Looking back at Class 24 & 25 Locomotives which has sold out and to do Looking back at Class 26 & 27 Locomotives which will sell out soon too...

Kevin

I never did get my cut from the sales did I? Lol ;-)

And yes I'm listening :-)

Much as I'd like a 25/0 or its near equivalent a 24/1 in N I'm not convinced they are sufficiently different to the 24/0 and 25/1 offered by Farish to be viable :-)

Looks like I'll have to use an Etched Pixels headcode kit on a Farish 24 to get the 25/0 I need for a Teesside layout.   This sub-class was all allocated to Thornaby when new and had limited geographical range while green (limited fuel range made certain Thornaby got them back....)

Les

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Below is a very poor picture of the 1st EP of the class 17 locomotive in plain black plastic, and missing lots of the added detail that this model, like the 92 will have.

I have primed the loco body grey but until it's got the rest of the 1sp ep parts i wont be publishing a half project model.

Please bear with me.

Cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-04319600-1500748090_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Below is a very poor picture of the 1st EP of the class 17 locomotive in plain black plastic, and missing lots of the added detail that this model, like the 92 will have.

I have primed the loco body grey but until it's got the rest of the 1sp ep parts i wont be publishing a half project model.

Please bear with me.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

Any further news regarding the Clayton - are you any closer to having all the components for a running 1st EP yet or even a dummy without drivetrain? With TINGS just a few weeks off (are you going?) an update would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Roy

Hi Dave

Any further news regarding the Clayton - are you any closer to having all the components for a running 1st EP yet or even a dummy without drivetrain? With TINGS just a few weeks off (are you going?) an update would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Roy

Hi Roy,

At this point I will not say anything more than, although I'm not going to Tings, there might be a few bits and bobs of interest to the N gauge modeller there, plus more clarity on some projects already announced or mooted.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Roy,

At this point I will not say anything more than, although I'm not going to Tings, there might be a few bits and bobs of interest to the N gauge modeller there, plus more clarity on some projects already announced or mooted.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

Sorry you're not going to be there in person but what you say above sounds intriguing  - is there any stand in particular we should head for?

Regards

Roy

Hi Dave

Sorry you're not going to be there in person but what you say above sounds intriguing  - is there any stand in particular we should head for?

Regards

Roy

Hi Roy,

Nothing I'm going to add at the moment, until very close to the day, but I'm going to keep what I hope to surprise people with, back, as I think not knowing is quite a nice thing sometimes. After all it's always a surprise to me to find coal in my stocking at Christmas ;-)

Cheers

Dave