N gauge Class 17 'Clayton' Locomotive

DJM Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

The latest Clayton class 17 cad/cam file came in today and I think we are now almost there. I have attached pictures taken from the latest cad/cam below but will outline a few points of interest for you.

Firstly it has a fully functioning NEM close coupling mechanism at each end and as such the model will be supplied with 2 pairs of Rapido coupler (1 pair short 1 pair long) for the purchaser to use which configuration suits their layout.

Secondly, like the class 23, it has 1 traction tyre on opposite sides of each inside axle. But for those that don't wish to run with them or run 2mm finescale, spare non grooved wheel sets will be available at the models launch.

Thirdly, the electronics are now removed from the cab, and are now, along with the he DCC socket, within the fuel tank. Please note the components you see in the transparent image are the Chinese suggested components and will not reflect the end UK designed pcb board. This are has had to be modified and now looks too deep (top to bottom) with the fuel tank now looking too low, and I shall action that this coming week accordingly.

Please feel free to mention any areas that I may have missed that need improvement, but I am quite tempted to alter the fuel tank and start metal cutting.

Cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-54503000-1392390126_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-14754000-1392390141_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-04267800-1392390152.jpg

post-1144-0-03999300-1392390165_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-99416200-1392390175_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Secondly, like the class 23, it has 1 traction tyre on opposite sides of each inside axle. But for those that don't wish to run with them or run 2mm finescale, spare non grooved wheel sets will be available at the models launch.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave, looks very good but sadly still not found any evidence of them in Somerset so I won't be in for one! I just wanted to give you a big thumbs up for that initiative. A spare set of wheels without the grooves so they can all be turned down is an excellent idea.

Jerry

ps. one of these would look superb on Mick's Wansbeck Road.

Dave

That is looking truly excellent and I am pleased to learn that you are now so close to tooling.

Could I ask the same question as someone else has asked on the 23 thread - when do we need to start flexing the plastic - i.e. what is the ballpark projection for delivery of the model assuming no "hiccups"?

Regards

Roy

Dave

That is looking truly excellent and I am pleased to learn that you are now so close to tooling.

Could I ask the same question as someone else has asked on the 23 thread - when do we need to start flexing the plastic - i.e. what is the ballpark projection for delivery of the model assuming no "hiccups"?

Regards

Roy

Hi Roy,

I'm aiming at releasing all 3 N gauge loco's at Leamington show if all goes well! ( well I'm aiming to, lol)

I will also announce the next batch of products 24 hours after Bachmanns announcements this summer.

Hope ths helps?

Cheers

Dave

• Like 5

Hi Roy,

I'm aiming at releasing all 3 N gauge loco's at Leamington show if all goes well! ( well I'm aiming to, lol)

I will also announce the next batch of products 24 hours after Bachmanns announcements this summer.

Hope ths helps?

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

That helps a lot - thanks.

My birthday is in September best I start dropping some hints!

Cheers

Roy

Really nice. And thank goodness some were shedded in deepest Kent(!?).Gerry

Yes, I don't think the other Jerry knows the little known fact that they were trialled for a while in the West Country and Gloucestershire! ;-)

Please feel free to mention any areas that I may have missed that need improvement, but I am quite tempted to alter the fuel tank and start metal cutting.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave.  The only area I would query, mainly because it's unclear from the angles shown, is the inward taper of the underslung equipment.  This is the main area (along with the proud fan grilles) that drew criticism on the Heljan OO body.

Keep on tempting me to go down the Waverley route in N....   :angel:

Hi Dave.  The only area I would query, mainly because it's unclear from the angles shown, is the inward taper of the underslung equipment.  This is the main area (along with the proud fan grilles) that drew criticism on the Heljan OO body.

Keep on tempting me to go down the Waverley route in N....   :angel:

Hi mate,

I agree. When the PCB was put into the fuel tank they modified the fuel tank outer shape to accommodate. However I have seen where revisions in this area can be made and have asked for them.

With regards to the fan grill. Strangely its been modelled concave not flat so it dips into the bonnet weirdly. This revision has been asked for and I has also asked the cad engineer to make each fan grill surround almost flush with the bonnet as they were not that proud on the real thing.

cheers

Dave

Will the cab be accessible for those who want to spoil the nice clear view by shoving a speaker in it?

Just a thought.

Les

Hi Les,

The model is modular in this regard and as such the cab clips on separately to the bonnets. The bonnets are all one single extrusion. Hope this helps?

cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Can you please test fit the CAD images with popular DCC deocders?

Digitrax DZ125-IN

Gauge Master DCC23

TCS EUN651

Lenz SIlver (or Gold) Mini.

I've had trouble fitting some of these decoders to the Dapol 9F, class 58 etc.

It would also be nice if the dummy version has room for the Bachmann decoder (great for lights only as costs less than the above).

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Dave,

Just done a bit of research on the Clayton, as I was about to order one of D8512.

I have discovered that D8512 was replaced as a Derby RTC loco, in 1972 by D8598, as D8512 suffered major mechanical failure.

Are these locos going to be easy to renumber?? Or can you adjust the numbering of the Class 17's to include D8598??

Regards

Neal.

Can you please test fit the CAD images with popular DCC deocders?

Digitrax DZ125-IN

Gauge Master DCC23

TCS EUN651

Lenz SIlver (or Gold) Mini.

I've had trouble fitting some of these decoders to the Dapol 9F, class 58 etc.

It would also be nice if the dummy version has room for the Bachmann decoder (great for lights only as costs less than the above).

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Hi Steven,

Yes I will check but in all honesty I'd rather do this with the first EP samples as it's then pretty fail safe for me to post what will and what won't.

By the way, it's my intention to show a 'how too' on my web site for fitting all applicable decoders to all my loco's as they become available. I'll also be posting the previously announced blown up schematics of each loco, plus a 'how do I get inside it' instructions ( for use outside warranty of course), for each one.

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

Just done a bit of research on the Clayton, as I was about to order one of D8512.

I have discovered that D8512 was replaced as a Derby RTC loco, in 1972 by D8598, as D8512 suffered major mechanical failure.

Are these locos going to be easy to renumber?? Or can you adjust the numbering of the Class 17's to include D8598??

Regards

Neal.

Hi Neal,

I'm sorry but the ink used doesn't lend itself to easy removal for re numbering, although lots of brave souls on this forum have managed to successfully.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Hi Steven,

Yes I will check but in all honesty I'd rather do this with the first EP samples as it's then pretty fail safe for me to post what will and what won't.

Hi Dave,

Yes that helps, but I can't help but think that it would be better to test fit decoders at the CAD stage before metal gets cut first.

The more decoders that fit the better!

Happy modelling.

Steven B

Hi Dave,

Yes that helps, but I can't help but think that it would be better to test fit decoders at the CAD stage before metal gets cut first.

The more decoders that fit the better!

Happy modelling.

Steven B

Hi Steven

I would agree as long as it doesn't mean any compromise with the shape and/or size of the tanks to achieve it of course!

Regards

Roy

Hi Steven

I would agree as long as it doesn't mean any compromise with the shape and/or size of the tanks to achieve it of course!

Regards

Roy

Hi Roy and Steven,

I agree with you both ( he says, sitting firmly on the fence).

There will , I'm sure, be decoders that will and won't fit, and I would hope customers don't go out now and buy them expecting them to be used in my loco's without my corroboration that they will.

But as Roy says, I won't compromise shape, and at this moment with a change in the shape etc of the fuel tank I'm going to go with the latter and wait until I have them in EP form first, just in case.

As the saying goes 'better to be safe than sorry'.

Chees

Dave

• Like 1