Czech Railway modelling

NHY 581

I've uploaded little more than 600 pictures I took between 2007 and 2018 (most of them being from years 2007-2013) to my flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jbrik/albums/72157706439502265

Hopefully, they could be useful as reference. If you have any questions or want more detail regarding ony of the pictures, just ask. I also have some pictures of station equipment, signs, signals etc. but I first need to find to organize them and find some place to put them, as Flickr apparently changed their policy since the last time I used them and they now have a limit of 1000 photos, which I almost reached by uploading this album.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, JBr said:

I've uploaded little more than 600 pictures I took between 2007 and 2018 (most of them being from years 2007-2013) to my flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jbrik/albums/72157706439502265

Hopefully, they could be useful as reference. If you have any questions or want more detail regarding ony of the pictures, just ask. I also have some pictures of station equipment, signs, signals etc. but I first need to find to organize them and find some place to put them, as Flickr apparently changed their policy since the last time I used them and they now have a limit of 1000 photos, which I almost reached by uploading this album.

A lot of outstanding images there, very very interesting. Thank you for sharing.

Best

Scott

• Agree 2

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
On 21/07/2020 at 19:52, CloggyDog said:

Shared recently on a European cranks and modelling Facebook group, a Czech decal producer, covers most scales and with a wide selection of prototypes and eras. 

https://obtisky-marfdknl.webnode.cz/#

I need a few TT sets for various projects, will report back in due course. 

Hi Alan

Any update on said decals?

Dan

• 6 months later...
6 minutes ago, SimonBoulton said:

Hopefully this isn't a stupid question....but did the Bardotka T478.1 sound different to the Goggles T478.3? 

Yes they do. Although some Bardotka’s  are fitted with silencers.

Here is a Goggle: 

Here is a silenced 751

Here is an unsilenced one:

Hopes that makes sense.

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

So I’ve now, take over the excellent “A taste of Alber” layout which is a very nice model depicted in TTe scale, whilst getting it ready to go to the club today, it had some pretty good sunlight on it, in the boot, so here’s some snaps :)

13279BF2-D519-43C0-BDE9-5B0252583902.jpeg

F8A89382-9E39-4393-846A-9F9CD14B7391.jpeg

94D2BF3A-3CC5-4B3D-98FE-79C1B62B4EFC.jpeg

• Like 11

I rescued this GBs? Van from box of scrap parts, I added some new axle box assemblies from my piko bits I got from the last works open day, I also added a some pallets with bags on, which I picked up from Anoraks Annoymous, it’s turned out pretty good for a scrapper I think :)  

F3EE4BA3-3E55-4FE9-8D10-152952026AE2.jpeg

• Like 12

8 hours ago, davep101 said:

So I’ve now, take over the excellent “A taste of Alber” layout which is a very nice model depicted in TTe scale, whilst getting it ready to go to the club today, it had some pretty good sunlight on it, in the boot, so here’s some snaps :)

13279BF2-D519-43C0-BDE9-5B0252583902.jpeg

F8A89382-9E39-4393-846A-9F9CD14B7391.jpeg

94D2BF3A-3CC5-4B3D-98FE-79C1B62B4EFC.jpeg

Glad it's gone to a good home! ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’m hoping that someone might be able to help me with a question about T478.1 colour schemes in era 4 and 5, and also, that my understanding is broadly correct! 

Looking at various pictures, it would appear that the first colour scheme was light grey with a red roof and red section on the top part of the side, possibly with some having red cab roofs and others light grey. Then the colour scheme changed to all over red body with a grey roof (late 70’s?) with a yellow band on the bottom of the cab front from 1983. The band got bigger later and went around the entire body. 

In the 1990’s there then seemed to be a sort of rival of the original light grey and red colour scheme. Is that broadly correct? 

Now, my specific question is regards the later version of light grey and red. I’ve seen a couple of Bardotka with the red side panel as the bottom half of the side rather than the top half. Was this version ever carried in era 4 or was it just a 1990’s variant? 

Many thanks,

simon 

Edited by SimonBoulton
Missed bit

On 29/10/2021 at 17:47, SimonBoulton said:

Whilst searching for some pics to illustrate the colour schemes I was referring to, I think I might have answered the specific one. It’s not a great pic but does illustrate the alternative light grey and red colour scheme was in use in 1969

That paint scheme was used for T478.1 008-030 (the 2 prototypes and other 6 locos were the round ones)

Quick google translate from http://spz.logout.cz/vozidla/751/751.php

The locomotives were already provided with interesting coatings during production. With another production series usually came with a change in color scheme. A brown-yellow paint (brown roof and frame, yellow side panels with white blinds) with red protective plows and black-red bumpers was designed for both prototypes. During production, the paint of the first prototype was changed to a red and white combination (roof and upper part of the sidewall red, cab and lower part of the sidewall white), the chassis, tank and frame were dark gray. Due to the fact that the drawing was not preserved for this coating, it is not possible to unambiguously determine whether it was white.

At the trade fair in Brno in 1965, T 478.1002 was presented in a new blue - and - white paint with red accessories (roof and strip above the frame - Paris blue, upper part of the sidewall and frame - signal blue), the tank and chassis were gray - blue. The hydraulic locomotive T 478.2001 was painted similarly and the same coating was also intended for the verification series. However, the locomotives of the verification series eventually left the production plant in a coating derived from T 478.1001 (roof and upper part of the sidewall including the cab, protective plows - light red, lower part of the sidewall and cab - light gray, bottom - dark gray).

A polyurethane coatings was experimentally used on these locomotives, which was to be applied to the first fifteen series locomotives. However, due to their difficult workability and unavailability, quick-drying synthetic enamels continued to be used for coatings. Serial locomotives were painted in a combination of light red and light gray. The first 23 locomotives had a light red roof and the lower side, cab and upper side were light gray. '

Starting with T 478.1031, the paint changed to a light red roof (without the part above the cab) and the upper part of the side panel, the cab and the lower part of the side panel were light gray. With the production of the second series came the expansion of light red to the entire roof, the rest of the paint remained the same as the locomotives T 478.1031-092. This coating was also transferred to the third series of locomotives, including T 478.2 machines. The frame, bogies and tank of all production locomotives were dark gray, only the protective plow was light red. There were red stars on the fronts of all locomotives, only the T 478.1002 in blue and white had a white star.

Decree FMD 6.17 / 76-12 of 19 January 1976 introduced a unified coating for vehicles, for locomotives with a predominance of cherry red. Due to the poor visibility of the locomotives, this coating was supplemented by Supplement No. 1 FMD 6.385 / 1982-012 of 25 January 1982 with a 300 mm wide yellow stripe on the front of the cab, just above the main frame.

According to the FMD 19.464 / 87-12 decree, a new color solution enters into force from 1.1.1988, while the original color distribution according to the type of locomotive remains, a 600 mm wide yellow stripe is added around the entire locomotive box (at T 478.1.2 the lower edge of stripe 610 mm above the lower edge of the main frame). The main frame is red, the chassis, tank and roof are brown-gray. After 1990, locomotives are painted in various color combinations. In LD Jihlava, the locomotives are experimentally painted with a newly considered unified paint in the color combination of the Czech tricolor (red-blue roof, sidewalls and cabins, complete with a white stripe on the front, the bottom is gray), Olomouc and Šumperk locomotives have variegated paint in various combinations.

In this pic from the 90es there are the factory color schemes, depot Prague-Vrsovice:

image.png.bb5b98815a3c22ccb90ebbdbe90125fb.png

From the right

T478.1 002, 003, 001, 011 (or 015 or 017). not sure of the other 2, could be any really.

http://www.strojvedouciplzen.cz/index.php?page=galerie&id=4188

Some other links:

http://www.atlaslokomotiv.net/loko-751.html

http://www.strojvedouciplzen.cz/index.php?page=menu&id=191

http://www.parostroj.net/vozidla/T478/T478.htm

http://www.parostroj.net/vozidla/T478/T478a.htm

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Compared to a British Pacer they are light years ahead of them, very smooth riding, I always wonder how them and the Germans could make such good four wheelers and BR make such a mess of them! They refurbed lots of them only a few years ago, 812/4/6s, are they going as well?

• RMweb Gold

We spent many hours riding in 810's around the majority of the Czech branch lines (just a hnadful of lines left do do). However the trailer version was our favourite as the bench seat where the cabs are on the powered ones had he same drop windows, so could get decent photos out of them unlike the rest of the seats which had hopper type top opening windows. 

The rebuilds have drop windows and nice high back seats but just aren't the same as the 810's.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 12/12/2021 at 13:43, SimonBoulton said:

I read recently that the 810 DMU’s are soon to be withdrawn by CD, wish I’d managed to travel on one 

There were still quite a few around earlier this year (back end of March and early April). Had a ride on one of the rebuilds, but not an original. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My knowledge of CSD coaches is pretty limited. Igra make some nice model coaches, including a restaurant and a couchette but no first class. I’m guessing because this series of coaches didn’t have one. 

Does anyone happen to know what type of first class coach would have been used with these or what kind of service they were used on. I know that the restaurant cars were used on the Zapadni express at one time. 

https://www.modellbahnunion.com/IGRA-Model-m1361434.htm?shop=modellbahn-union-en&a=marke&Hersteller=1361434

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/08/2023 at 18:22, SimonBoulton said:

My knowledge of CSD coaches is pretty limited. Igra make some nice model coaches, including a restaurant and a couchette but no first class. I’m guessing because this series of coaches didn’t have one. 

Does anyone happen to know what type of first class coach would have been used with these or what kind of service they were used on. I know that the restaurant cars were used on the Zapadni express at one time. 

https://www.modellbahnunion.com/IGRA-Model-m1361434.htm?shop=modellbahn-union-en&a=marke&Hersteller=1361434

This site may be of help with both of your questions https://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/ although it may take some searching through the earlier years.

If you find a train formation containing the type of coach you are looking for then clicking the spyglass under that coach will give a list of other trains that year that contain the same type. e.g.

https://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php?zeme=CSD&cislo=25&rok=1971

https://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/razeni.php?rok=1971&vuz=ČSD+BRa+t*&najit=Hledat

My guess is that you could run them with Type Y coaches.

There is a wealth of information on vagonWEB but it may take some finding. Good luck.

Edit: Found this formation from 1975/6, three of the older coaches, all seconds. The rest of the train are Type Y and include firsts:

https://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php?zeme=CSD&kategorie=R&cislo=502&nazev=&rok=1976

Edited by giz
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

Following news may be interesting for the folks modelling Czech(oslovak) railways in TT.

As announced few days ago, Roco is taking over the whole TT model line from Kuehn and their catalogue for 2024 seems quite interesting, as it brings back pretty much every CZ type Kuehn produced (albeit not in all paint schemes, of course) and also promises release of the long awaited M152/810 railcar, which was announced by Kuehn few years back. Also interesting may be two sets of Y coaches (A+B and B+Bds) that together make a decent fast train consist.

And the other news, Piko announced they will be releasing TT version of the S499.02/242 electric loco, the "tin pot" - "plecháč".

• Informative/Useful 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Can I wind the clock back a little and share one of the (apparently numerous) videos from the recent FREMO meeting in Magdeburg? One of the arrangements (FREMO-Old - set in 1928) featured German/Czech cross-border operation. It was a biggie in H0 with lots of double track and a genuine incline with dedicated bankers. But one of the nicest things was a selection of what you might call Bohemian steam locos including several with 'lifting handles' (steam driers) and an enormous Skoda tank loco. Some nice Prussian stuff too... but that is going off topic.

Turn the sound down is my advice, but a good watch.

Incidentally there are also some 'cab ride' videos from the event. Some free time/stamina is required for these. I can report that unfortunately the occasional bewildered Brit wandered into the frame once or twice (oops).

Ben

• Like 3