• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

First thing to point out is that the loco was only gifted to the Bluebell (with the must be ‘normal based’ at the railway clause) in the past decade or so.

From when it first arrived up until the early 2000s it was owned by a private individual and as such extended visits / loans were simply dependent on what the owner thought about them at the time and as such the loco was not formally tied to the railway.

Secondly, it does kinda depend on your definition of normal - but the general gist is like this. A two week visit to a couple of other railways per year would still fit with the spirit of a ‘must normally be based at the Bluebell as for the majority of that Callander year the loco would indeed be based on the Bluebell

A longer loan or hire for say 6 months might also count as not breaking the terms providing the following two years sees it remain at the Bluebell.

In other words if you average things out over 10 years (the maximum operating window) then to satisfy the ‘normally based at the Bluebell’ then it would have to remain in Sussex for around 7 of those 10 years.

That’s an interesting thought process about the Dukedog, it would be good to see it stretching it’s legs on an ex-GWR line once it’s back in service.

I presume it’s still close to the top of the overhaul queue - although it’s gone very quiet of late. The amount of work expected to bring it back is expected to be confined to the boiler.

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

Not sure that's a safe assumption, being a GWR loco on an SR line with SR stock............

The loco is in the power category that the railway needs; it's therefore a useful loco to have available for traffic. 

Plus at the last overhaul a lot of work was done in bringing it up to standard, which means the amount of work needed this time round should be minimal. (Just boiler related.)

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Nick C said:

My understanding, unless it's changed again, was that the Dukedog would be next in the main workshop after the H is done, as it doesn't need too much doing.

Thanks Nick, that was also my understanding.

My only hesitation is that it was suggested the "Atlantic group" were going to overhaul it. That then changed when they were switched to the Adams Radial. Since when the Dukedog hasn't been mentioned.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Went up today and was surprised to see Fenchurch on the service train to East Grinstead. Something I'd always understood to be beyond a Terrier per the received wisdom. It halled 2 four wheelers, 2 hundred seaters, and the LNWR observation saloon taking water at Kingscote on the way up and had a few shovel fulls of coal left by the time it got back. It was driven exceptionally well by the crew. No histrionics just what was required to get the job done. I did note that you could see from the chimney how hard it's been worked recently. Nothing on the smokebox door though, so it wasn't an air leak there.

Compress_20240216_191605_5765.jpg.e03dd24db174263ccd4bdcbd0a5a0dfc.jpg

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I see that the Dukedog has gone home  https://www.rheidolrailway.co.uk/2024/02/26/dukedog-no-9017-returning-home-to-aberystwyth/   

This article suggests that the loan is for 2 years https://www.rheidolrailway.co.uk/2024/03/05/93-year-old-aberystwyth-man-reunited-with-his-locomotive/

Martin

Edited by mcowgill
Additional link
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, 5944 said:

6989 is staying for the 2025 season as well.

If that is right it would be very odd, with Sir Archie out, the Atlantic expected and the Q on fast overhaul.

I hope you are wrong!

Tony

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

If that is right it would be very odd, with Sir Archie out, the Atlantic expected and the Q on fast overhaul.

I hope you are wrong!

Tony

There's also 73082 and 80151 as well, so 5 big locos with 30541 expected back at some point. Does seem a bit of overkill but if the owners and the railway are happy, then it's all good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 5944 said:

There's also 73082 and 80151 as well, so 5 big locos with 30541 expected back at some point. Does seem a bit of overkill but if the owners and the railway are happy, then it's all good.

i suppose.

I'm just not a fan of anything GWR!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I believe Fenchurch goes on holiday to the SVR today. Family commitments will keep me away but hopefully some here will get pictures/video.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, SR71 said:

I believe Fenchurch goes on holiday to the SVR today. Family commitments will keep me away but hopefully some here will get pictures/video.

It has indeed left for Bridgnorth. Will try to pop down tomorrow to grab a photo. Sadly not one of the great and the good to get a visitor. Mind you at least then you are less likley to get an Inspector. 

• Like 1